Caramelising Condensed Milk is Slow Cooker

2smudge2, Nov 25, 12:36am
I once read someone on here posting about caramelising condensed milk in the slow cooker but now can't find the thread - condensed milk and slow cooker are two very popular terms to search!

Would be really grateful if someone could remind me of how!
Thanks heaps.

nzbadger, Nov 25, 12:59am
Buy it already made:-)

marcs, Nov 25, 1:01am
Ready made ones don't taste the same. I think in the slow cooker it is 6 hours to cook but not sure on low or high.

pheebs1, Nov 25, 1:03am
the carmel you buy is yuck
definately using condensed milk is better
i have heard of people boiling the tin in a pot of water for 2 hours but that could be dangerous

pheebs1, Nov 25, 1:04am
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dulce-De-Leche

tonnes of ways to do it on wiki
who would have thought!
have a look they even do a microwave one
the slow cooker method is 8 hours long

mottly, Nov 25, 1:07am
I buy the already made stuff too, and it's delish in a caramel/choc slice or tan squares - cond milk now is more watery, and many times won't caramelize properly :(

harrislucinda, Nov 25, 1:35am
yuckbroughtstufffromausmakeyourown

2smudge2, Nov 25, 2:35am
Thanks, usually do it on the stove but thought this might need less monitoring.

sara71, Nov 25, 2:52am
I have only done this on the stove top. It's not dangerous if you keep the water topped up. If it gets low the cans can explode. Please let me know if it works in the crockpot/slow cooker because that sounds far less stressful. Are you making a banoffee pie! I'm crazy for those.

deus701, Nov 25, 2:58am
I did it on the stove top, i know someone who had theirs exploded when the water levels are low.so i punch two small holes at the top on opposite ends. I can also see the colour change so can stop cooking when its done.

2smudge2, Nov 25, 3:23am
banoffee pie all the way! Yum!I've never had a problem doing it on the stove but thought this sounded easier than remembering to watch the pot.

jbsouthland, Nov 25, 6:01am
There was a lovely story on Marcus Lushs Radio programme re Condensed Milk. A well educated sounding woman rang telling him about a can that exploded while making caramel.she said it was soooo difficult to wipe from all walls and ceiling . The ceiling had little holes in the panels, formonths everytime they had the lights oncaramel would continue to ooze out of the holes.lol.They were rentingand so finally moved because of it !

pam.delilah, Nov 25, 6:43am
here is three other ways, instead of the can and pot of watermethod

Caramelized Milk
STOVETOP: Pour 1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk into top of double-boiler pan; cover. Place over boiling water. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 to 50 minutes, or until thick and light caramel-colored. Remove from heat. Beat until smooth.
OVEN: Preheat oven to 425° F. Pour 1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in shallow pan (pan should be larger than pie plate). Fill pan with hot water. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thick and light caramel-colored. Pour milk into small mixer bowl; beat until smooth.
MICROWAVE: Pour 1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk into large microwave-save bowl. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Reduce power to MEDIUM-LOW (30%) power; cook for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring with wire whisk every few minutes, until thick and light caramel-colored.
Note: Microwave ovens may vary; adjust timing accordingly.

pheebs1, Nov 25, 10:56am
watery!
i have made bannoffi piei with the bought stuff bleeeh
when i have made caramel in my slices its normally condensed milk and melted butter , then baked ontop of the slice
it goes very caramelly

yum