Help with toadfish's brown rice salad

akjg, Nov 23, 12:41am
trying this for the first time this weekend for a gathering of 50! Went to the supermarket to get ingredients and thought I'd check to see if there is a difference.do you use medium or long grain brown rice please!

puresteam, Nov 23, 12:53am
I just use uncle bens short grain

toadfish, Nov 23, 1:09am
Medium or short grain, Ipersonally wouldn't use Uncle Bens.

mattdylan, Nov 23, 2:02am
there is only ever Uncle Bens brown rice at the supermarkets, what other brands do you get Toadfish!

akjg, Nov 23, 2:19am
hmm, not sure what the medium brand was, but the long was budget, that was all they had at New World. Perhaps I need to try another supermarket!
What brand or supermarket do you use toadfish! I'm quite excited about making this salad with all the raves it gets on here lol.

elliehen, Nov 23, 2:37am
I use the Australian brand 'Sunrice' - brown wholegrain medium grain.

toadfish, Nov 23, 4:48am
Me too.But just recently I have been buying there Brown Long Grain Rice for everyday use, I am sure that would work as well, I personally would just stay away from the "Quick cooked" types.

lisa7, Nov 23, 5:27am
I use medium, and I don't add the seed mix or dressing until ready to serve.

toadfish, Nov 23, 5:04pm
I use a Jam Jar to make the dressing in, keep that in the fridge and add all the nuts, seeds, raisins etc together in a container at the ready and toss it together last minute.But in saying that I love it the next day too.

Tip:Keep a few of the nuts and seeds out of the mix and sprinkle on the top for a garnish.

Variations: The last few times I have left out the capsicum and spring onions. still yummy.
I made a healthier dressing by reversing the oil and lemon juice quantities. still yummy.
I also use a rice cooker to cook the rice I use 2 "rice cooker" cups which equals 1.5 reg cups. so technically I am using 1/2 Cup extra of rice. still yummy but more of it.
For special occasions I buy mixed nuts instead of peanuts. that way people come across brazil, hazel, cashew nuts and Almonds as well as peanuts.
I have also added a can of drained chickpeas. not quite so yummy but was done as I had vegetarians in the mix.

toadfish, Nov 23, 5:05pm
I have brought sunrice at New World, look out for a brown packet.

jbsouthland, Nov 23, 6:18pm
My Mum loves your Salad Toadfish.she doubles the dressing amount .

akjg, Nov 23, 6:35pm
Actually, I think the medium one I saw at NW was Sunrice, so will head back there today to get it. Thanks heaps :)

zambesi2, Nov 23, 8:13pm
This recipe is my absolute favourtie. Everyone always raves about it when you serve it up.ThanxToady.

elliehen, Nov 23, 9:50pm
In my New World it's usually on the bottom shelf below all the more expensive instant rice shelved at eye level ;)

earthangel4, Nov 23, 10:49pm
yum,love your rice salad Toady,have made it heaps of times.