Best boiled Christmas pudding

cutezie, Nov 20, 2:32am
I want to have a go at making my own boiledChristmas pud .Would you share your recipe please -Thanx

vomo2, Nov 20, 4:39am
Dead easy recipe in Alison Holts slow cooker book. You make the pudding and pop it in the slow cooker for a few hours. Out comes a delicious dark pudding without having to worry about it boiling dry. I make about a dozen for gifts. Wrapped up in cellophane they look great and dont cost alot.

vomo2, Nov 20, 4:40am
The book is in most libraries. She co wrote it with her son.

glenn-ellyn, Nov 20, 5:08am
Can anyone post it here! as I wouldn't mind it.

seniorbones, Nov 20, 6:59am
x2
mine is quite long and makes two, has to be steamed/boiled for 6 hours.do you want it.its devine! I'm doing mine next week.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 7:51am
+1 for the Holst slow cooker recipe.

switchie, Nov 20, 8:01am
Alison Holst recipe.
The word ‘Christmas’ is not included in the name of this pudding because we feel that you may want to make this plum pudding several times each year, as well as at Christmas! The recipes was dreamed up for our ‘Slow Cooker Book’, as we all enjoyed the first pudding so much that we made several, using different liquids. All of these reheated well, to be served as pudding, but most of them were sliced and eaten cold, like Christmas Cake. As a matter of interest, the mixture contains much less butter and sugar, and fewer eggs than normal Christmas cakes. (The pudding may not keep as well for this reason, but we have never been able to keep them long enough to know!)

Ingredients
500-600gms dried and /or crystallised fruit *
¼ C sherry, rum, stout or orange juice
2 C bread flour or plain flour
½ C (packed) brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ - 1 tsp mixed spice
½ - 1 tsp ground cloves
125gms butter, melted
finely grated rind of 1 large orange
1 large egg
extra liquid if necessary

Method

Select a heatproof bowl (or loaf tin) which will hold 4 – 5 cups and will fit in your slow cooker. Coat the dry bowl with non-stick spray, then line with microwave-proof cling film.

*Use whatever dried and /or crystallised fruit you like. For special occasions we use ¼ - ½ cup of prunes (which are dried purple plums), crystallised pineapple and ginger, dried cranberries, raisins, currants and apricots. If preferred, use prunes, raisins, sultanas and currants etc. (For our recent puddings I have used 300gms of ‘Fruit Nuggets’ and about ¼ cp ‘Razz Cherries’ (bought from bulk foods departments) and 300gms of the dried and crystallised fruits listed above).

You can prepare the fruit a short time before you need it, or do it ahead and refrigerate it up to a week. Using kitchen scissors, chop all the fruit into pieces no bigger than dried cranberries and put them in a heavy plastic bag. Add the liquid/s of your choice to the bag, (grating all the rind from the orange first, if juicing it), then close the bag, leaving a small air hole, and microwave everything for about 5 minutes, until all the fruit is hot, plump and shiny. The liquid will soak into the fruit as it cools. Turn the bag over occasionally during this time. Cool the bag of mixture to room temperature before using it.

Turn a 2 litre or larger slow cooker on to HIGH with 1-2 cups of hot water in it.

Mix together the next six (dry) ingredients in a large bowl. Melt the butter in a small bowl, then add the grated orange rind. Beat in the eggs with a fork, then tip it into the flour mixture, stirring until no dry flour remains. Add the cool soaked fruit and mix everything gently but thoroughly. The mixture should be wet enough to drop from your spoon. If it isn’t, add more liquid, using a little of several liquids rather than just one. (Refrigerated marinated fruit may require up to ¾ cup of extra liquid)

Spoon the mixture into the prepared pudding bowl, levelling the top. Cover with foil, fold the edges down over the bowl. Lower the pudding bowl into the slow cooker bowl and put on the lid. Cook on HIGH for 8 –12 hours. Turn out while warm since puddings less likely to stick to the container at this stage, then wrap and cool completely.

Serve with brandy butter, custard or whipped cream, (plain or with liqueur or spirits and sugar added) or refrigerate (for six weeks or so), or freeze. Thaw before reheating, still in the film, in the sprayed, covered bowl. Reheat in the slow cooker set to HIGH, with water around the bowl, for 4 – 5 hours, or on LOW for twice this time.

midnightgirl, Nov 20, 8:05am
Hi, seniorbones, I would really love your recipe, to make two, please. Many thanks.

sarahb5, Nov 20, 8:08am
I have lost my recipe but was similar to switchie except for the addition of grated carrot and suet

nauru, Nov 20, 10:04pm
x1
I use Joan Bishop's recipe which has the addition offresh breadcrumbs, it makes for a lighter pudding as it stops the pudding from being so heavy. I also add grated carrot and cook it in my crockpot, wouldn't cook it any other way as it is so easy.

sarahb5, Nov 20, 10:25pm
I used to have my grandma's recipe and made three every year when we were in the UK - one for my mum, one for my MIL and a small one for the two of us but if I'm honest although I quite like Christmas pudding I find it a bit heavy for summer Christmas so we don't usually have one now - if I feel the need I will buy a really small one from the supermarket but I'm the only one in our house who actually likes it anyway and I prefer it sliced up and fried in brandy butter!

davidt4, Nov 20, 10:41pm
Does anyone have a recipe for a sago, carrot and potato Christmas pudding!I used to make it years ago and everyone loved it.My recollection is that it used sago, grated carrot, grated potato, dried fruit, spices, maybe eggs, and I don't think it had butter in it, nor breadcrumbs.It sounds awful but it was delicious and not heavy.

seniorbones, Nov 21, 12:55am
ok here goes, I am just typing as I read the recipe so sorry for the spelling errors if there are any, my nails need cutting too!.
Makes two 1kg puddings
200gms self raising flour,
1 level tsp mixed spice,
200gms of shredded suet - ask your butcher if he can get it otherwise I buy shreddo from the supermarket
200gms fresh white breadcumbs,
200gms seedless raisins,
200g sultanas,
200gms currants,
100gms mixed chopped peel.another diversion,once I just bought a pack of 1kg mixed fruit and used that instead of measuring out everything seperately and it was fine.
100gms soft brown sugar,
200gms golden syrup,
grated peel and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon,
3 standard eggs - beaten,
1/2 glass white wine - white rum - or brandy .I like brandy, milk to mix if necessary.

1. sift flour and spice into bowl.
2. add suet, crumbs dried fruit peel and sugar. then mix in allother ingreds add a little milk if you think it looks dry or not moist enough.
divide into two well greased steam pudding basins, cover securely with double thickness of greased proof paper or aluminium foil, steam steadily for 6 hours topping up with boiling water when necessary. Its important that it is topped with boiling water so it doesnt stop simmering. leave to cool, turn out and wrap in clean foil once cold store in a cool dry place until required, I wrap in foil and keep in the fridge or it can be frozen. On the day place back into greased basins and steam for 2 hours. sprinkle with icing sugar and decorate with holly. I dont do this, just before its cut into I heat 1/4 cup of brandy pour over pudding and light - make sure its died down before you cut and eat!

edited for the two spelling mistakes :-0)

sarahb5, Nov 21, 1:01am
Oh that reminds me - if you're going to flame your pudding its better to pour the brandy into a metal spoon and ignite in the spoon then pour the flaming brandy over the pudding - this avoids burning any of the fruit apparently

cookessentials, Nov 21, 3:53am
Two-In-One Rich Christmas Cake and Pudding

Basic fruit mixture
4½ cups (720g) sultanas
1 cup (150g) currants
1½ cups (250g) raisins, chopped
1 cup (170g) pitted dried dates, chopped
1 cup (170g) pitted prunes, chopped
3/4 cup (180g) glace cherries
½ cup (125g) chopped glace apricots
½ cup (115g) chopped glace pineapple
125g packet fine diced glace ginger
1 medium (150g) apple, peeled, grated
½ cup (175g) marmalade, warmed
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 cup (250ml) Grand Marnier

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; cover tightly.
Store mixture in cool, dry place overnight, stirring occasionally

250g butter, softened
1½ cups (300g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups (280g) stale breadcrumbs (not dry)
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/3 quantity Basic Fruit Mixture
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour, extra

Beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer butter mixture to a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, flour and fruit mixture

I have a 1.7litre stainless steel pudding bowl with a clip on lid which i use for mine. Steam for 2 - 3 hours. You can use your slow cooker as well to stream.

PLEASE NOTE, YOU USE 1/3 OF THE BASIC FRUIT MIXTURE ABOVE FOR THE STEAMED PUDDING. THE REMAINING YOU MAKE THE CAKE. HOWEVER, I JUST BASICALLY HALVE THE RECIPE AND MAKE JUST THE PUDDING.

marcs, Nov 21, 4:33am
I vouch for cookessentials one. Very very yummy.

seniorbones, Nov 20, 6:59am
mine is quite long and makes two, has to be steamed/boiled for 6 hours.do you want it.its devine! I'm doing mine next week on a day when I will be home all day!

bev00, Nov 20, 10:01am
sounds lovely must try thanks cookessentials