Baking with condensed milk

Page 3 / 3
kcak, Apr 2, 7:46am
I made something similar today and covered the base with tiny chocolate easter eggs, chopped nuts, then coconut and finally poured over a tin of condensed milk and baked until browned. Cut into very small pieces - lol

uli, Apr 2, 7:48am
elliehen - sorry to have to spell it out so you can understand it too - YOU ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK!

Now please go and play somewhere else - WE ALL have guts full of it!

I do not mind to give help and advice and recipes - BUT What on Earth are YOU giving to this message board? ?

I am so thoroughly sick of it - and so are (obviously) some othe posters ... so give it a miss please ... .

uli, Apr 2, 7:49am
So HOW was it?
Did you like it?

kcak, Apr 2, 7:51am
It's delicious! ! But horribly rich.

uli, Apr 2, 8:00am
Good one - Not sure what "rich" means though LOL :)

elliehen, Apr 2, 8:33am
Is that the Royal 'WE' uli? As for the guts bit, I recommend a drink of Alpine tea ;)

dezzie, Apr 2, 8:51am
I read that recipe, thought it sounded great, then read elliehens post about the recipe being wrong and went over and over it again and could see nothing that would make it bad, just because it had also been posted on a spoof thread, doesn't mean its not a good recipe, I was seriously beginning to doubt my own "read and imagine the taste" abilities, which I've always relied on before with recipes.

I did see that someone was confused if it was 3/4 tsp of baking soda, or 3 to 4 tsp, but I could see it was meant to be 3/4 so bypassed that.

elliehen, Apr 2, 9:33am
uli, it seems I have done you wrong and you were seriously trying to help poster #1 and that you really truly believe condensed milk to be a 'lovely ingredient' and a cake you might bake one day for your high carb visitors.

I will sit on the naughty chair for five minutes and think about all you've said. But surely you're not trying to muzzle me? That's very undemocratic.

griffo4, Apr 3, 12:36am
Millionaire's Shortbread from Taste Magazine
Shortbread base
240g butter
300g flour
120g caster sugar

Topping
240g butter
240g muscovado sugar (yes it is the right amount l checked with Taste)
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 can condensed milk

200g dark chocolate 70 % for icing on top

Heat oven to 180C
Blend the base ingredients with a pinch of salt in a food processor, to form a ball
To mix by hand, rub the butter into the flour, and then work in the sugar and pinch salt until the mixture clings together
Press into a shallow time about 23cm x 30cm
Bake 20-25 minutes until golden

To make the toffee, put the butter, sugar, golden syrup, and condensed milk in a pan and bring to a very gentle simmer
Whisk then cook for a further 10 minutes until thick, stirring every now and then
Pour toffee over the shortbread
Chill until firm
Melt the chocolate and pour it over the toffee, smooth with a knife and leave to set
Cut in the tin
Keeps for a week in the fridge ( it doesn't last that long round here, lol)

elliehen, Apr 3, 2:11am
Thanks griffo4 - you're a man [woman? ] of your word.

elliehen, Apr 3, 2:31am
For -minty- :)

bedazzledjewels, Apr 3, 2:34am
I notice that wine biscuits feature a lot in CM recipes. Anyone know how they got their name?

bedazzledjewels, Apr 3, 2:50am
Got the answer - "There are two interesting stories behind this name and both go back over 100 years. The flour used to bake the Wine biscuits was packed for transportation purposes into old wine barrels. Also, the original Griffin’s family bought Wine biscuits from Europe, where it was customary actually to serve them with wine. "

elliehen, Apr 3, 4:24am
For -minty- :)Another variation...

elliehen, Apr 3, 5:00am
And for poster #1 the passionfruit variation :)

elliehen, Apr 3, 7:50am
And a licorice variation, from one of the top bakers on the Recipes MB :)

elliehen, Apr 4, 12:33am
And an older one... :)

elliehen, Dec 31, 11:06am
And the jewel in the crown - the often requested Ginger Walnut Slice from pam. delilah via cookessentials :)

There are now 22 recipes, give or take... in one place for ease of future reference.

Recipes is the winner on the Day!

Thanks, cooks all :)