Baking with condensed milk

Page 1 / 3
-minty-, Mar 28, 12:04am
Anyone have a good easy slice recipe to share?

-minty-, Mar 28, 12:22am
bump!

glendeb, Mar 28, 1:14am
I have two...

Mrs Weir's fudge slice (excellent for lunchboxes as has no topping)

1 pkt of crushed round wine biscuits
1/2 can of condensed milk
150gm butter
2 tbsp of cocoa
raisins or other dried fruit

Melt butter, cond. milk and cocoa together. Add in crushed biscuits and fruit. Mix well.

Grease a slice tin, sprinkle all over with coconut, spoon in slice mix, sprinkle top with coconut. Chill then store in an air tight container.

Caramel Slice

Crush 1 pkt of malt biscuits
mix with 150gms of melted butter.
Press into a slice tin and bake for 6 mins at 180 degrees.

In the meantime melt together 1 tin of condensed milk, 120gms of butter and 3 tbsp of brown sugar. Heat until thick. Pour over the base and bake for a further 6 mins.

While slice is cooking melt 25gms of butter, add in 1/2 a cup of chocolate to make a ganache icing.

When slice is cooked, leave to cool for about 10 mins. Pour over ganache and then chill until set.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge. This one freezes well too.

Hope that helps?

buckyboy, Mar 28, 1:23am
Coconut Slice

1 pkt malt bis, crushed.
100g butter, melted.
Mix tog and place in oven proof tin

1 tin con milk,
1 cup coconut,
Mix tog and pour over the base.
Bake at 180 c for 20 mins or until golden brown.
Very, very rich. Cut into small bits when cold

uli, Mar 28, 2:54am
Buzzy's Boiled Fruit Cake:

1 tin Highlander Sweetened Condensed Milk
1&1/4 cups Water
275g Butter
1/&1/2 cups Sultanas
1&3/4 cups Curranta
1/4 cup chopped Glace Cherries
3/4 cup chopped Mixed Peel
2&1/2 cups flour
3/4 tspns Baking Soda
1/4 tspn Salt
Unblanched Almonds
Method:
Grease and paper-lin the sides and bottom of a 22cm round cake tin
In a saucepan heat together the Condensed Milk, Water, Butter, Sultanas, Currants, Cherries & Peel. Boil 3 minutes and cool
Sift Flour, Baking Soda and Salt Mix into the cold fruit mixture
Put into prepared tin
Arrange Almonds on top
Bake @ 160dC for 2 hours
Allow to cool in tin.
NOTE: Do not be tempted to add the flour, etc till the fruit mixture has completely cooled as that will change the texture of the flour and your cake will turn out all gluggy and rubbery.

From the Condensed milk thread:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=114665

gdwitch, Mar 31, 11:20pm
Uli can I substitue all the various fruits with a pkt of fruitcake mix? Also is it 3/4 tsp or 3 to 4 tspns of baking soda. Thanks

elliehen, Mar 31, 11:32pm
-minty-, it's a little unfair of uli to post that recipe as though it's a serious answer to your question. The thread she refers you to, which you might not have clicked on, is a spoof on cooking with condensed milk and many of the posters there believe it is poison.

And gdwitch, you too... if your question is serious maybe you could check out the thread, if only to find out which posters' recipes you can trust.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 31, 11:38pm
Lol Uli.
I was looking through some of my grandmother's old cookbooks and came across UNsweetened cm!

uli, Apr 1, 1:11am
Haha - there is your answer - others know so much more of it than myself of course ...

Let me know how it came out though :)

elliehen, Apr 1, 1:27am
uli, have you still got those leftover 7-year-old cans of caramelized condensed milk in your pantry that you were saving for a rainy day, or have you thrown them out?

uli, Apr 1, 1:29am
Yep - I still have 2 of them - why?
Shall I list them?
Do you need any?

uli, Apr 1, 1:31am
I think it is one 3/4teaspoon of baking soda - however you are asking the wrong person here.
This is buzzy's recipe which I only copied and pasted. So any questions should go to buzzy :)
I have never baked anything with this lovely ingredient.

Good luck!

elliehen, Apr 1, 2:51am
uli, you pride yourself on being a straight-talker, but do posters now have to treat your posted recipes with caution or suspicion? There's nothing 'straight' about encouraging a poster with a serious question to bake a cake with ingredients that you mock.

uli, Apr 1, 5:14am
Why is that?
Do you think I should only post stuff I would eat myself?
Well - that would be pretty boring - cause what I eat you do not need recipes LOL :)
Maybe I should just quit posting altogether? yes? Is that what you want?

buzzy110, Apr 1, 5:17am
Actually, elliehen, the recipe that uli posted was one I copied directly from the Nestle's Recipe book and is kosher. Logic should tell poster 1 that it would be unreasonable to put 3-4 tspns of baking soda into anything but I presume she is a novice cook and probably doesn't know stuff like that.

For your information elliehen, I have the Nestle's recipe book and it has quite a few condensed milk slices. However, due to the amount of abuse one receives from other posters and often the complete lack of acknowledgment of the effort taken to find and then type and post a recipe or other help, I, like uli now refrain from doing so.

I hope other posters may be able to help but personally I always find that owning a well presented book with glossy photos is way better than easily lost recipes printed out on paper without nice pictures and other relevant information, especially if you are a novice cook.

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 6:49am
This is so nice - Caramello slice

1 x 250g block of caramello chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 x 250g packet crushed superwine biscuits
half a can sweetened condensed milk

Melt the chocolate and butter, stir in the condensed milk and, biscuits. Mix then press into a slice tin and chill to firm.

I double the ingredients

tired-mamma, Apr 1, 7:43am
How bizzare! Just logged on because i wanted the fudge recipe that used marshmellows and condensed milk and what do you know it was lurking here all along. without the marshmellows but it is the same recipe. Wish i had started here before trawling through google. Thanks you are all amazing!

elliehen, Apr 1, 8:04am
Thanks to all the posters who attempt to answer serious questions honestly. They certainly ARE amazing, to keep on keeping on in the face of ridicule.

Why a few would repeatedly choose to enter threads just to scoff and poke fun at others' requests for recipes is beyond me...

buzzy110, Apr 1, 10:52am
As you were the only one scoffing and poking fun at others' in this thread I do hope you follow your own advice. Uli gave a recipe as requested and you scoffed! !

elliehen, Apr 1, 11:02am
Oh buzzybuzzybuzzy... who are you kidding? You know better than I that uli did not believe in the recipe she was posting - she posted it along with the link to belittle the person who wanted to cook with condensed milk! Do you endorse that buzzyfruitcake recipe? I don't think so...

barloo, Apr 1, 1:48pm
wow! !

Worth saving this thread! !

Thanks everyone:)

griffo4, Apr 1, 8:27pm
Thanks Uli and buzzy for the recipes and the other contributors l will copy and paste minus the elliehen dross
Thanks to the ones who took the time to type out these recipes and not just come in and cause trouble and stir
l am off to make the Millionaire's shortbread soon with CM and it is cooked for 10mins with other ingredients and is almost toffee like
lf l get time later l will type it on here

Uli talking of CM past its use by date l borrowed a can recently from my friend to make above recipe and when l had made it l looked at the bottom of the can and it said use by "2004" and it still tasted good just a bit darker

kirinesha, Apr 1, 8:42pm
I've know Uli on this MB for around 9 years now and the one thing I've never found her to be is mischeivious. She may be blunt and extremely forthright but I have enough faith in her integrity to say that she would never deliberately give someone a recipe even suspecting that it would not turn out.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 1, 8:46pm
And she's not condescending either.

snapit, Apr 1, 9:50pm
I would like to thank the posters of their recipes as I will try them as the fudgey ones are uncooked and look simple and the cake one I will compare to the several I already have and make.