CHRISTMAS CAKE

alessia, Nov 18, 12:07am
Is it necessary to use Brown Paper or Newspaper to line Tin when I have already lined it with Baking Paper! Thanks for your advice.

nzhel, Nov 18, 12:24am
I always just use several layers of baking paper and have never had a problem tho a lot of recipes seem to recommend using brown or newspaper. Perhaps if the cooking time is extra long - I just read a recipe where the cake was cooked for 3 hours - then perhaps its a good idea to use more paper to stop the cake from overcooking around the outside and on the top.

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:25am
juliewn wrote:

To prepare the tins:
I lightly grease the tins and line the bottom of each with baking paper.
Line the sides with baking paper also, bringing the baking paper 5-6cm higher than the sides of the tins.
Use a little butter to stick the ends of the paper together.

I then cut wide strips of newspaper - the same width as the height of the baking paper - and about 5-6 sheets thick.
Staple those around the OUTSIDE of each tin, until you have a thick band of newspaper around the outside. I find it's easier to do this way and it means the finished cake is the full-size of the inside of the tin.
For the bottom and tops of the tins/ cakes, notes are below.

On the biscuit tray in the oven, place a thick whole section of a newspaper – about 5-6 layers thick and folded so it’s flat.
Place the cake tins on this, and place another section, about the same thickness, on the top.
The thick sides of the newspaper around the sides of the tins will support the newspaper on top.
The paper will go light brown during cooking – it won’t burn though at this temperature. (120*C)

Remove from the oven, and cover the tins with a teatowel, then place a thick towel over that, so it covers the tops and sides of the cakes.
Leave the newspaper around the tins so the cakes cool slowly, and leave overnight in the tin to cool.
Next day, remove the cakes from the tins carefully.

I prefer to freeze my cakes, unless making them a short time before they're needed.
I wrap each of the cakes in three layers of plastic wrap before freezing - as the cake doesn't freeze hard, the flavours continue to develop - and there's no risk of the cake being affected by any mould during humid summer weather.

lazkaz, Nov 18, 12:25am
I think it is, what I do is tie the newspaper around the outside of the bin, even though baked at a low temperature, it is in the oven for a long time, and stops any burning.I also put a small local rag on top towards the end of cooking.otherwise line it with several layers of newspaper.enjoy.not making anything this year.let it slip by quietly.I am from ChCh and do not feel like celebrating.thank god this year is nearly over.

alessia, Nov 18, 1:31am
I can understand lazkaz you wanting a peaceful time after the disastrous past few months. My very best wishes for a secure and happy New Year.
Many thoughts have been with you from allover NZ and the World.