Cocoa .

Page 2 / 3
willyow, Nov 21, 5:40pm
Most supermaket brands of cocoa are not 100% pure cocoa. They are 'standard' cocoas with 8-11% fat content - in cocoa, the more fat the better as this is where all the flavour is in cocoa. Valrohna and De Zaan Premium Dutch Cocoas have 21-24% fat content i.e. they are three times stronger than standard cocoa and are not bitter like thecheaperstandard cocoas. For example if you make acup of cocoa with a Premium cocoa - you only need one teaspoon of Premium cocoa - not three or four teaspoons as with standard cocoa -itdoesn't need sugar because it isn't bitter - and it tastes like chocolate, not cocoa.If you make it with hot milk, the natural sweetness of the milk is enough.Premium cocoa is also a super antioxident. When baking, Premium cocoa is heavier due to the high fat content, and thingstend to not rise quite as much - but the flavour is much more chocolatey.While Premium Cocoa is more expensive (double the price but 2-3 times stronger),the mellow chocolate flavours are muchnicer. Beaware that someone isselling 'standard' 11% cocoa on Trademe as 'Premium Dutch Cocoa'while someone else is selling the proper 21% Premium cocoa. I have complained to Trademe, referring them to a major cocoa industry site whichdefines the difference - but have been ignored.

willyow, Nov 21, 5:40pm
Most supermaket brands of cocoa are not 100% pure cocoa. They are 'standard' cocoas with 8-11% fat content - in cocoa, the more fat the better as this is where all the flavour is in cocoa. Valrohna and De Zaan Premium Dutch Cocoas have 21-24% fat content i.e. they are three times stronger than standard cocoa and are not bitter like thecheaperstandard cocoas. For example if you make acup of cocoa with a Premium cocoa - you only need one teaspoon of Premium cocoa - not three or four teaspoons as with standard cocoa -itdoesn't need sugar because it isn't bitter - and it tastes like chocolate, not cocoa.If you make it with hot milk, the natural sweetness of the milk is enough.Premium cocoa is also a super antioxident and is 100% Pure Cocoa.When baking, Premium cocoa is heavier due to the high fat content, and thingstend to not rise quite as much - but the flavour is much more chocolatey.While Premium Cocoa is more expensive (double the price but 2-3 times stronger),the mellow chocolate flavours are muchnicer. Beaware that someone isselling 'standard' 11% cocoa on Trademe as 'Premium Dutch Cocoa'while someone else is selling the proper 21% Premium cocoa. I have complained to Trademe, referring them to a major cocoa industry site whichdefines the difference - but have been ignored.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 1:43am
This is the reply I've received - doesn't help much though - just blame the Aussies:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Cadbury Bournville Cocoa.Cadbury is committed to the highest possible quality standards and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Following the demise of our packaging plant in Dunedinwe wererequired to sourcepackaging elsewhere andtheproduct currently on sale is theCocoa that Cadbury in Australia has been marketing fora number of years.The change in Cocoa was introduced in 2007.

Cadbury Bournville Cocoa is 99.43% cocoa.The Cocoa powder is processed at a Cadbury Plant in Malaysia as it has been for thepast twenty years or so.andispacked in Australia .

We are always pleased to receive consumer feedback be it positive or negative and we have passed your comments on to the Marketing and Product development departments.

Kind regards
CADBURY

Laura Thomson
Consumer Relations
Ref No: 487918-826007651

Reply to:
Reply to consumer.relations@cadbury.com-

Reply to consumer.relations@cadbury.com-
Send

kinna54, Nov 22, 2:29am
Hmm sarah, that tells you a lot doesn't it.Lol.Doesn't matter where it's packaged, the product is still inferior, and no way like the cocoa I've been purchasing for over 20yrs.
If homebrand, pams, signature range can purchase and pack a decent product then so should Bournville.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 2:39am
Yeah I was going to reply and tell them they hadn't answered my question but will wait and see if I get any further response before I just reply and say "well I'm buying Pams/Homebrand in future and you're losing customers because of this" .

spotswood, Nov 22, 2:57am
For special chocolate recipes you can't go wrong with Valhrona cocoa.it's dark and rich with a very chocolatey flavour.Sabato stock it and I have seen it at New World too.Much better than the inferior brands,although it'sa bit dearer in price.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 3:31am
Have never heard of that one or seen it stocked in our New World down here - we don't have Sabato

maxi42, Nov 23, 12:19am
I use nestle baking cocoa from the supermarket for everything: drinks & baking. To me it is the real thing (and I am Dutch!)

village.green, Nov 23, 1:27am
Agree with this. I bought some at a cooking course I went to in Tauranga, very good quality so I only use it for grownup special desserts and cakes.
No shortage of cocoa in my supermarkets here and when I mentioned it to staff at checkout they didn't know anything about it!

r-mvz, Nov 23, 1:47am
My vote is for Homebrand Cocoa from Countdown, it is great.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 4:00am
Yes it is, if you can get it but there's none in any of our local Countdowns at the moment - someone who can find it in theirs could make a killing on here if they bought some and auctioned it!

sarahb5, Nov 23, 4:01am
I used to use Nestle until it stopped being so chocolatey.I have looked at the Sun Valley one in the plastic bag and that's not as dark as the Homebrand one either.Until I can get Homebrand again I will stick with Pams and just use a bit more of it.

spotswood, Nov 23, 4:23am
Sabato is an Italian importer company in Auckland.They have an online shop,plus the New World is here in Auckland.Maybe you can ask your local New World to get it in.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 5:04am
I have now emailed Countdown to ask when/if the Homebrand cocoa will be back on the shelves - will let you know the outcome

uli, Nov 23, 6:51am
Which is "that it will be some time" and then it will NOT be the same as before . LOL :) because they found a cheaper option with more fillers .

lenart, Nov 23, 4:56pm
I had a reply from Countdown. It will be back on shelf by 2nd or 3rd week of December.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 8:27pm
That's definitely good news - I can manage with Pams until then I think - thanks!

sarahb5, Nov 23, 8:27pm
What happened to your "no reply" policy or have your changed your own "rules" again!Please stick to them and do us all a favour .

kay141, Nov 23, 11:57pm
I see New World have Pam's Cocoa and Countdown have Nestles both advertised in this weeks' flyer. I don't know which is best as I very seldom use cocoa.

sarahb5, Nov 24, 12:33am
Pams is better than Nestle - definitely darker and more chocolatey

kay141, Nov 24, 1:49am
OK. It's in the New World flyer for this week. This probably covers the lower NI. Don't know if it is on special cos I don't buy it but thought those who are looking might be interested.

sarahb5, Dec 10, 4:01am
It's back!Homebrand cocoa has been repackaged into a bag and I found some today in the baking aisle at our local Countdown - I haven't opened it yet but I hope it's as dark and chocolatey as it was before it was repackaged.

nauru, Dec 10, 5:29am
That's good news, let us know if it's the same as before. My supply is almost finished and it's the best cocoa I have used

angheenan, Dec 11, 8:33am
Blooker cocoa is great, I use it in all my baking,I used to be able to get it in ChCh and haven't had any trouble finding it here on the sunshine coast.Check online.

horizons_, Dec 11, 9:08pm
I highly recommend the coca sold here on Tme. It's by far the best Premium Dutch cocoa you can get. Be warned, it will put you off using the nasty over the counter brands though.