Low Fat Tasty Treats

toadfish, Nov 12, 8:15pm
We are keeping to a Low Fat diet in this house. Plenty of lean meats, Wholegrains, Fruits & Vegetables, avoiding overprocessed, artificial foods. (not banning just avoiding - happy for some to sneak in as I am no purist - please this is not a debate about the pro's & Con's it is just what we are doing).

I am trying to find yummy things for hubbie as he gets used to the transition and have today discovered a winner that I though I would share

Mini Bacon & Egg Pies.
I took 12 slices of wholegrain bread and cut the crusts off, rolled and made bread cases. Baked for 10 mins
I took 3 rashers of rindless lean bacon (2 would of done) and diced finely and fried with finely diced onion.
Added this into the bread cases and topped them with egg that had been mixed with pepper and a little skimmed milk. Baked for another 15 mins.Next time I think I will miss out the first bake as they got a bit brown while the egg was setting.

He has to go to a club comittee meeting today and needed a plate. now there is a plate he can eat and avoid the revolting sausage rolls/Donuts type offerings that others tend to bring.

Any other Low Fat, fresh food treats others wish to share!

toadfish, Nov 12, 8:17pm
We also have Tasman Bay Juicies in the freezer which are delcious after dinner and are basically 100mls of fruit juice .

toadfish, Nov 12, 8:21pm
Houmus and wholegrain crackers.

Plenty of "Big Bowl Salads"One of our favourites is Smoked Chicken, bacon & Pesto.I put all the Salad stuff I have in the house in the bowls chopped up. Fry some onion and bacon up, add the cubed smoked chicken and at the last minute stir through a big dollop of pesto and we have this served over the salad.

Homemade Vegetable soup.

BBQ's are a favourite, Lean meats with plenty of salad.

Any other inspirations greatly accepted.

kiwifidget, Nov 12, 9:03pm
Isn't "low fat tasty" an oxymoron!

uli, Nov 12, 9:40pm
I do the same - however I leave out the bread:
Put a rasher of bacon into a muffin tin (might have to cut it and cross it over)
Add some spinach or silverbeet,
salt and pepper
and 1 egg per muffin tin

Bake.

Variations:
Add a slice of tomato on the top
wrap the bacon around the outside of the tin only and use a slice of tomato as the bottom
add some cheese over the top
use mushrooms instead of spinach

bedazzledjewels, Nov 12, 9:51pm
Toady - have you checked out the Healthy Food Guide website! I'm sure you have. ;-)

elliehen, Nov 12, 9:57pm
SHAKE & BAKE POTATO SNACK

For one serving (multiply for more servings)
100 gm size (approx) potato - leave skin on and cut in small cubes (like boardgame dice)
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flour
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
pinch cayenne pepper or paprika
ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 200*C
In a plastic bag, mix together the potato cubes, oil and salt
Add the rest of the ingredients to the plastic bag and shake well
Bake for about 30 minutes (or cook on stove top in cast-iron frypan)

elliehen, Nov 12, 10:16pm
FROZEN BANANA POPS
These taste just like ice cream

Cut a banana in half across the middle, put popsicle sticks into the flat ends and freeze.

You can do variations such as dipping in lemon juice and rolling in nuts, but they're good just plain.You can freeze other fruits for nibbles too.grapes, cape gooseberries etc

toadfish, Nov 13, 2:45am
mmm he'd like that as well.

toadfish, Nov 13, 2:53am
I subscribed for years and let it lapse last year.To be honest I have the evening meals down pat, as you know I have eaten this way for years and I don't think there is a meal I can't substitute with a healthier (In my opionion) Low Fat fresh food option.
Cottage Pie
Roasts
Pasta Bales
Casseroles etc
can all be made low fat. with thought and leaner cuts of meat.
And my trick with things like pasta bakes s to make half the plate salad.,.
before I would have served hima plate of starchy carbs. not good I know.

My inspiration is to find treats for DH.He used to eat my 7 evening meals which were great for him but followed his own plan for the other 14 meals and inbetweens.Now he needs to et my way for various reasons I am looking for things along the line of my Bacon & Egg "pies" to replace the real thing. Which of course he can have in moderation and it can be a nice treat.

By the way the Bacon & Epp "pies" went down a treat at lunchtime and he could munch on those while the others had the mini savouries.

toadfish, Nov 13, 2:58am
mmm thats very similiar to the wedges we make.

toadfish, Nov 13, 5:15am
WhenI made bread case bacon & Egg Pies I ended up with 48 crusts that I had cut off. While I dry baked the cases I dry baked the crust. Hubby has just come home from work and polished off half of them with some salsa and some feta dip (The feta dip was reduced to clear $2). Nothing wasted in this house and made a healthier and cheaper alternative to chips or crackers.Poor thing worked, had the meeting and lunch and then went back to work - sometimes he has to do things when companies are closed.

bellus_sybarite, Nov 13, 5:21am
Marshmellows are a good low fat treat.

toadfish, Nov 13, 5:54am
I think thats because they are 100% sugar. no room for fat lol.We are trying to avoid those empty calories as well.

But thanks for the input.

fisher, Nov 13, 7:54am
hi Toady.Similar thing with the bacon and egg but I make them in Yorkies.
Bacon and Egg Yorkies
Precook some bacon rashes and chop into piecesIn a bowl, make an egg mix with salt, pepper, grated cheese and diced onion and mix well.
Add the bacon piecesNow make some Yorkshire puddings in muffin tins.
Once the yorkies are cooked and risen, poor some of the mix inside and place back in oven till the egg mix just cooks and sets.
Spring onions or chives are also nice in there.

callofthewild, Nov 13, 8:02am
soooo true ! lol