Sorry and another, cakes that peak in the middle

k.b.moss, Oct 27, 2:13am
is there any recipes that produce a flat cake instead of them all peaking. i usually cut the top off but seem to get alot of waste. thanks heaps

elliehen, Oct 27, 2:19am
Top 10 Causes of Cake Failure:

1. Cake Falling:

Too much shortening or sugar
Too low an oven temperature
Insufficient baking
Too much batter in the pan
Moving cake during baking

2. Undersized Cake:

Too large a pan
Too hot an oven

3. Moist, Sticky Crust:

Too much sugar
Insufficient baking

4. Thick, Heavy Crust:

Over baking
Too hot an oven
Not enough shortening or sugar
Too much flour

5. Peaks or Cracks on Top:

Too hot an oven
Over mixing
Too much flour

6. Soggy Layer or Streak at Bottom:

Insufficient mixing
Too much sugar or baking powder

7. Heavy, Compact Texture:

Over mixing
Too much sugar, shortening or liquid
Too low an oven temperature
Insufficient baking

8. Dry Cake:

Not enough shortening, liquid or sugar
Too much flour
Overbeating egg whites
Over baking

9. Tunnels or Large Holes:

Over mixing
Uneven distribution

10. Uneven Shape:

Uneven heat of oven
Cake not level
Pan warped

From the web.Hope this helps.Annabel Langbein in her baking book, says that a cake will peak (and maybe crack) if the mixture is higher than 2/3 up the sides.When making a cake in a loaf pan (banana bread or date loaf) I usually make a scooped depression along the middle.

buzzy110, Oct 27, 2:45am
You should try baking your cakes in rectangle or square tins. I use a ceramic square baker and my cakes never, ever peak. The only drawback is that the cakes are not round.

Another piece of advice I can give is to lower the oven temperature slightly and cook longer. Longer and slower is the way the professionals ensure their cakes do not peak.

Also be precise with your measurements. By this I mean NO ROUNDING. Use the back of a knife to cut dry ingredients and then the sharp side to 'cut across' the top to remove excess dry ingredients from cups and spoon measures. Don't under measure either. Golden syrup, molasses, maple syrup and honey, etc, are the only things I don't measure precisely because it is too hard but I get as close as I can.

219, Oct 27, 2:49am
If I have a 'peaky' cake as soon as I take it out of the oven I pop something heavy on top of it (while it's still in the tin) Saw it on Nigella I think.Nice flat tops every time

buzzy110, Oct 27, 2:50am
Cool idea.

wheelz, Oct 27, 3:09am
hmm. would that not lead to a dense or heavy texture in the middle!!

daleaway, Oct 27, 3:46am
For a slight peak, just turn upside down before icing. If you do while the cake is warm it will flatten out nicely anyway.

Or you could just use a ring tin!

k.b.moss, Oct 27, 5:14am
wicked you guys r so helpful thanks very much :)

antoniab, Oct 27, 5:39am
I find it only happens when the oven is too hot. I never cut it off, just flip it upside down to ice like daleaway

k.b.moss, Oct 27, 5:43am
ook i've always done it by the recipe so say the recipe says 180, put it to 160or170! so if you flip it while cooling it'll settle ok! sorry for so many silly questions.

kuaka, Oct 27, 9:21am
I have a recipe for a lovely rich "prune" cake (suitable for wedding or Christmas cakes), and the instructions are to remove the cooked cake from the oven, and to invert it onto a flat surface (such as the kitchen bench top covered with foil) remove the tin, reverse the tin so that it is the right way up, and place the bottom of the tin on the bottom of the cake, press down firmly, then put the tin back over the cake.Leave the cake upside down on the bench with the tin over it, cover with several towels or tea-towels and leave to cool.If you want to put alcohol on the cake, pour it carefully on the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, and then proceed as above.The heat of the cake draws the alcohol into the cake, keeping it moist and giving it flavour.Leave the cake until it is completely cold and then remove the tin, and store in a cool dark place.

I'm happy to type up the prune cake recipe if anyone wants it.It's the only rich wedding type cake that I've seen people coming back and asking for seconds!

k.b.moss, Oct 27, 9:33am
sounds nice if you could post it up when you want meant to add please if you could lol

kuaka, Oct 27, 10:26am
Okay, it's in imperial measures but I'm sure it's not too much trouble to convert it.My scales are either at the flick of a button, so I've never bothered to alter the recipe.

Prune Cake (very moist)

10 oz butter
12 oz flour
10 oz brown sugar
5 eggs
1/4 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp each vanilla, lemon, rum and any other essences
1 lb raisins
1 lb sultanas
1/2 lb currants
1/2 lb prunes finely chopped
cherries, peel and nuts as liked
(if using nuts it is better not to keep the cake for too long)

Mix flour and fruit first, cream butter and sugar, add essences and beaten egg YOLKs.Add to flour and fruit, then add milk and soda.Lastly add stiffly beaten egg whites (it is best to mix this with "clean hands")

Line tin with aluminium foil and then fill with mixture, making sure the mixture is pressed well into the corners.Leave cake to stand overnight, in oven set to 250 deg F (120 deg C) to come on about 2 hours before you get up (don't oversleep!). Watch for remaining time (approx one further hour).

For a richer cake add any or all of the following:

1 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 cup sherry or port
1 tbsp brandy
1 good tbsp red jam
1 dspn strained orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
grated rind of 1/2 an orange and 1/2 lemon.

I haven't made this cake for a while, and from memory it makes a deep 8" cake, round or square.

bev00, Oct 26, 12:32pm
great tips