Meals for one.no oven

Page 2 / 2
evorotorua, Oct 28, 3:50am
Vote for Benchtop oven over crock pot here too. More versatile, and if cooking for one, it is easier to put a small chicken in there too and get a nice roast. Still fine for casseroles too.

tantric5, Oct 28, 3:54am
toasted sandwich maker! The world is your oyster

tam39, Oct 28, 4:03am
A george forman grill. i use mine all the time for chops steak etc. you can get the wee ones which will be ideal for one.

poolgirl6, Oct 28, 5:53am
Electric frypan, endless ways to use it, pikelets, roasts, chops, sausies etc

uli, Oct 29, 12:34am
Crockpots are great - I have two - but the myth of the light bulb is just that - a myth!
My bigger crockpot uses 350W (your light bulb uses 100W) and if you switch it on in the morning until you come home it has gobbled up 8 hours of electricity = 2.8kW - I don't know how much you pay per kWhour in your neck of the woods, but you can easily figure it out that it will cost much more than that light bulb.

In fact if you have an oven (which poster#1 hasn't), then it is often cheaper to run your oven for an hour than the crockpot for 8 hours.

ange164, Oct 29, 3:18am
On one element fry a chop/sausage/chicken drumsticks etc.
On the other element boil a spud.
In the microwave steam broccoli, carrot and peas.
That equals a balanced meal.
A baked spud in the microwave with cheese and sour cream, and a pot with chilli beans and a bit of mince with some nacho seasoning +a side salad, is a decent meal too.

ange164, Oct 29, 3:19am
For dessert she can make a pot of custard or rice pudding, and stewed fruit, tinned, or have it fresh.

samboy, Oct 30, 3:50am
Yes they are good, we have a sunbeam and you can rotisserie a chicken in it as well, I think both would be good if there is room.I couldnt do without either of them even though we have a big oven in the summer the wee bench top gets most use.

music_note, Oct 30, 9:43am
+1 - except I'd get the larger one, or the Breville - when anyone else is there there's enough space to cook more, or to grill extra for another meal.