Meals for one.no oven

Page 1 / 2
unknowndisorder, Aug 25, 9:21pm
Bumping for Someone looking for ideas for meals for one :)

trinity888, Aug 25, 9:34pm
.when I was flatting, I made this meal all the time:

Tuna salad:
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thinly;
- 2-3 tomatoes segmented;
- 1 freshly washed lettuce, torn up small;
- 1 large can of lemon tuna.
Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper.

Just toss it all together on a plate, fast, cheap, tasty, healthy, slimming.

samboy, Aug 26, 12:32am
Salmon Kedgeree
Tinned salmon
1 boiled egg
1 cup cooked rice
One lemon - juice and rind
Parsley or any herb
salt and pepper

Cook rice and drain, open tin of salmon and mash with a fork, add to cooked rice, add herbs, grated lemon rind, and juice and mix, then carefully add in boiled egg.It can be eaten either cold, or heated in microwave.Very yummy.

Also stir fry is good, mushrooms on toast (hope she has a toaster)

actros2, Oct 27, 12:40am
Can anyone help with meal ideas for DD who has just moved into a little flat with only a couple of bench top elements and a microwave! She has to be a bit mindful of her grocery spend. I have made a few suggestions but we don't have a microwave so I can't help there. She is quite keen on most fruit and veggies.

pheebs1, Oct 27, 1:42am
can i strongly suggest if you can to buy her an crockpot!

you can cook whole chickens and wonderful casseroles soups etc in the crockpot before she leaves for work or whathaveyou
using really cheap cuts of meat throw in lots of veges and some stock and leave for the day to come home to a really good meal
the she can cook rice or pasta in the microwave

she can then also portion out further meals to freeze and reheat in the microwave

its so good for those who are starting out as cook and there are alot of sachets for slow cookers in the supermarkets that she can just add a few ingredients turn on and forget
also she wont burn the house down if she forgets it!

she can make chillis lasagnes puddings potato dishes
there entire threads on here just for the crockpot

i know this doesnt directly adress your question
so let me think further

pheebs1, Oct 27, 1:49am
homemade burgers

1 small pack of good lean chicken or beef mince
either fresh or dry breadcrumbs 1-2 cups
1egg
1 tsp dry herbs if you have them
salt and pepper

combine all ingredients
split mix into 6 good size patties, fry med heat till well cooked through and golden without oil just a little spray to stop sticking
freeze leftover patties of uncooked mixture into single portions

fill buns with patties and salad

pheebs1, Oct 27, 1:56am
fritters!
can of whole kernel corn a cup or so of self raising flour an egg and milk salt and pepper till its pancake consistency
shallow fry

add chop spring onion ham bacon cheese
any leftovers
serve with salad veges

pheebs1, Oct 27, 2:00am
oooh creamy mushrooms on toast!

in the pan as meany mushrooms sliced as you can afford!
with a good dollop of butter or marge
cook and while there is still alittle butter in the pan add a tablespoon of flour
cook it for 1 min
pour in milk stirring to make a creamy mushroomy rou sauce add salt and pepper to taste and a little grated cheese if budget allows
pour over hot buttered toast

this is sunday night i cant be arsed cooking dinner
its really really good!

pheebs1, Oct 27, 2:04am
mince on toast

chop and dice small an onion in a little oil
slow so it doesnt brown but just softens nicely
add a small amount of good lean mince
(dont buy the cheap stuff it tastes disgusting)
cook till brown , add in grated carrot or zuchini leftover mushrooms or grated pumpkin
any veges you like
pour over a cup of gravy or stock or even a little water if you have nothing else, cook down till veges are soft and creamy in the gravy an pour over hot buttered toast

or even rice!

actros2, Oct 27, 2:57am
Oh pheebs1 thanks so much for your replies. A crockpot sounds like a great idea, will buy one as an early Christmas gift.

cgvl, Oct 27, 4:13am
one of those little bench top ovens, they are fantastic. I had one when flatting as it seemed a waste to turn on the main oven for 1 person. Used it all the time, can do chops, steak, toast in them and have used for pies and baking biscuits and muffins . didn't try cakes though. Actually found it nicer than a micro to use. Oh and I used to do casseroles in it as well, I had a small dish for that not your regular sized one.

cool_sta, Oct 27, 4:16am
if you are talking about those little halogen light convection oven things, yes they are brilliant but DO NOT try and bake a cake in it lol i tried and 4 hours later threw the bloody, uncooked thing out! they need air to circulate to cook, and the cake tin didnt allow enough air to circulate. i spose a small tin would be ok but lol nah dont .

tania58, Oct 27, 7:02am
stayed in a gorgeous log cabin in Canada a while back that overlooked the lake (maybe I should go to the travel board lol) but it only had a 2 elements and no oven.Was very difficult to figure out what to cook for two weeks with only 2 pots when you are used to sticking something in the oven and having 4 other elements going!

I seriously considered buying a crock pot :P

did what others here have suggested. corn fritters and bacon, casserole and mashed spud, corn chowder, vege soup (had to fry the bread in another pan for that as no toaster . or oven for the garlic bread!),

scarlettnz, Oct 27, 7:10am
I would also vote for a slow cooker.You can cook macaroni cheese and lasagna as well as roast chicken and all sorts of stew type things.(You might also like to buy the Simon and Alison Holst slow cooker cookbook to go with it,it's fab).

leebee35, Oct 27, 10:12am
** Stri Frys
** Spag Bog
** Veggie fritters (made with tin chick peas - mashed)
** Couscous salad
** Paella
** Pasta
** spagetti / meatballs
** Soups
** French Toast with trimings
** Thai Fish cakes

I'm sure there is more -I have a one pot cook book which I'll check out of the w/e.

cgvl, Oct 27, 11:09am
was thinking of the bake/grill toaster ovens. Brisco's had them on sale at the weekend for about $80 normally about $110.
Great for flatting or if in a bedsit type place.

pheebs1, Oct 28, 12:16am
can i say splash out on a larger 5 litre slow cooker!
then you really can do a chicken and bake bread

the little ones are hopeless
and with as much power usage as a light bulb it wont make her power bills too big

uli, Oct 28, 12:34am
Crockpots are great - I have two - but the myth of the light bulb is just that - a myth!
My bigger crockpot uses 350W (your light bulb uses 100W) and if you switch it on in the morning until you come home it has gobbled up 8 hours of electricity = 2.8kW - I don't know how much you per kWhour in your neck of the woods, but you can easily figure it out that it will cost much more than that light bulb.

In fact if you have an oven (which poster#1 hasn't), then it is often cheaper to run your oven for an hour than the crockpot for 8 hours.

uli, Oct 28, 12:36am
Trustpower says on their website:
Crockpot: 15c to 29cPer hour

http://www.trustpower.co.nz/index.php!section=174

uli, Oct 28, 12:41am

coconutbuns, Oct 28, 1:32am
you guys do nothing more than make my mouth water & make me feel hungry. Out of the recipes section I go

pheebs1, Oct 28, 1:36am
dont go looking in the slice thread thats really fatal!

pheebs1, Oct 28, 2:00am
oooh creamy mushrooms on toast!

in the pan as many mushrooms sliced as you can afford!
with a good dollop of butter or marge
cook and while there is still alittle butter in the pan add a tablespoon of flour
cook it for 1 min
pour in milk stirring to make a creamy mushroomy rou sauce add salt and pepper to taste and a little grated cheese if budget allows
pour over hot buttered toast

this is sunday night i cant be arsed cooking dinner
its really really good!

pheebs1, Oct 28, 2:04am
mince on toast

chop and dice small an onion in a little oil
slow so it doesnt brown but just softens nicely
add a small amount of good lean mince
(dont buy the cheap stuff it tastes disgusting)
cook till brown , add in grated carrot or zuchini leftover mushrooms or grated pumpkin
any veges you like
pour over a cup of gravy or stock or even a little water if you have nothing else, cook down till veges are soft and creamy in the gravy an pour over hot buttered toast

again a sprinkle of grated cheese on top is naughty but nice!

or even rice!

clgodkin, Oct 28, 3:44am
I would also recommend one of those benchtop ovens rather than a crockpot. When hubby and I split, my daughter lived in a bedsit for a little over a year that had one camp element and that was it so I bought one of those stoves. Ok.must admit I didn't try baking a cake but hell, it was brilliant and I would do my weekly roasts and all sorts in there.