Baking/food to take on a camping trip!

Page 1 / 2
mums.toys, Oct 24, 4:33am
any ideas please, we will onlyhave chilly bins so baking that can be frozen or that will keep in a tin would be great, also maybe salad ideas.all the above bearing in mind we are away for a week and will have only limited space in the chilly bins

r-mvz, Oct 24, 4:43am
Sausage Meat Pie

Sausage meat x2 packs. Line pie dish with baking paper. Press into pie dish and push meat up the sides using wet hands.

Spread tomato sauce, chilli sauce or relish, whichever you prefer over sausage meat.

Mix in a bowl eggs, salt, pepper.

Sprinkle vegetables over the sausage meat eg (grated carrot, peas, peppers, corn etc) whatever you have available fresh or frozen. If using frozen then I suggest that you put them in a sieve and pour hot water over them and drain first before adding to your pie.

Pour mixed eggs over vegetables, add slices of tomatoes if you have them.

Put in oven to cook.

This is great to eat hot or cold.

This is a great dish you can make different variations everytime eg add grated cheese on top or curry to egg mix, even a tin of spaghetti added to the base before vegetables.

seaturtle, Oct 24, 5:27am
I would take dried pasta and sauces and whip up savoury rice type dishes

cgvl, Oct 24, 10:10am
Here's what we take: Bacon and egg pie for the first night,
Chicken tenders, put into a wrap with salad etc (buy the homebrand ones 15 to a pack, so you can have some for lunch's also)
Sausages and have them either in buns or wrapped in bread or with salads
Hamburgers and if have access to a camp kitchen then I do something like wedges other wise just the burgers
Mince dish either a spag bol or just mince or nacho's depending on what I've remembered to pack.
Rice risotto (packet one) with or without meat.
Often just have a spag or baked beans meal as well.
Breakfast is generally cereal although I do take bacon, eggs and either pre prepared waffles or a mix to make hot cakes for a change.
tinned fish is a standby for lunch.
I freeze all my meat in meal sized portions, as well as several lemonade bottles of water and if room in freezer I put the chilly bin in too. Pop your milk into freezer as well as this will help it keep and can be used to help keep food cold nad frozen.
If you have them take 2 chilly bins one for the things you will use each day and the other for the stuff you want to keep frozen longer.

cgvl, Oct 24, 10:14am
I tend to do biscuits, a slice or two and some muffins although I find the muffins/cakes don't keep well. A fruit type cake is great as well.

nik12, Oct 24, 10:42am
Where are you going! *jealous*

asue, Oct 24, 8:24pm
Cooked silverside, luncheon, ham, mince dish

mums.toys, Oct 24, 8:42pm
hi nik we are going to mavora lakes! cant wait wont have any sort of kitchen what so ever only the bbq.dammmm chilly bins are expensive! shopping around at the mo

mums.toys, Oct 24, 8:43pm
great ideas! i had never thought of precooking stuff.kids fav meal ever is nachos so i cook cook the mince and freeze it and just take the rest

cgvl, Oct 25, 1:04am
you can or what I generally do is put into a zip lock type bag all the ingredients uncooked and freeze. eg my nacho's only have mince, onion and a nacho sachet mix.So I chop onion and add to mince and freeze . if haveing vegies in mince add them as well. just means I can throw it all into the pot when ready to cook.

cgvl, Oct 25, 1:08am
Mavora Lakes is nice.
Take a tarp and a couple of either extra poles or sticks and rope and make a shelter to put your chilly bins under. Put on side which doesn't get too much sun ie east or south, it will help to keep them cool, under a shady tree helps too.
I buy that pre packed salad for camping rather than a lettuce.

mums.toys, Oct 25, 1:59am
thankyou im hoping the weathers great, space is going to be a premiuim by the time we load up motorbikes push bikes bbq 2 tents etc etc etc so whole lettuces might be more 'space efficient for me!lol it says on the website you can have a fire in the designated area do you think that means we could take our patio heater!

biglou, Oct 25, 3:00am
Just a thought for you mums.toys - use fish bins instead or as well. They are cheap ( supermarket ) if they get damaged it doesn't matter, and they are a great uniform size so perfect for stacking.

elliehen, Oct 25, 3:03am
Another thought.I have several soft-sided chilly bags which can squish up together more easily than the rigid chilly bins.

cgvl, Oct 25, 3:03am
lol, I don't know never actually camped there have just heard how nice it is.
Know the feeling about space. We went away over school hols, poor kids were squashed in the back with all their gear and boot and trailer full to capacity. Had 3 tents, thankfully 2 were small, all the gear as no cooking facilities etc, car was shooting possums in trees so loaded down it was. still worth it in the end.
Oh and the milk stayed frozen for 3 days, as did the meat surprisingly.

genpat, Oct 25, 5:26am
Things with rolled oats/golden syrup tend to keep well in tins,Anzac biscuits,slices etc,good for snacks and suppers.

nik12, Oct 25, 9:36am
I've got some you could borrow! Been slowly collecting camping gear - not that I can see us going anytime soon lol.
I recon precooked stuff for the first couple of days, then cans and pasta, egg's bacon etc after than.Sizzler sausages would keep in a chilly bin quite well.Ham and salad sandwiches are always good for lunch - oh and surely you'll catch a few fish!
Oh and even more jealous, I've heard it's lovely there! Lots of Riverton people go there Jan or Feb every year

mums.toys, Oct 25, 10:19pm
well its only an hour away from here as i just discovered! i got a massive one at the warehouse yesterday for $130, already had another big one and mums given me some of those polystyrene bin thingys so that should do us.cant wait.not going till january im just being ultra organised/too excited! hope theres not toooo many people was going to take the horse too since they have a paddock there but probably be too busy chasing kids.

mums.toys, Oct 25, 10:20pm
you poor girl are you not getting a holiday this year.hows things gone so far

purplegoanna, Oct 25, 10:49pm
go to pak n save and ask them if theyve got any cheap cooler bins to sell, our paknsave usually sells them for $5 each

splitty, Oct 25, 11:30pm
An idea that I did in summer was to plant a few lettuce plants in a pot, then you just take the pot with you and don't have to refrigerate a whole lettuce, I just got a pkt of fancy lettuce seeds at the warehouse for about $2 and planted them about 2 months before we were going and they were ready. If you get the fancy lettuce you can just pick a few leaves at a time instead of the whole head. We also went to a place that had no facilities.

mums.toys, Oct 26, 8:14pm
thatsa great idea splitty which kid should i leave at home so i can fit the pots in the car!hmmmmmmm perhaps the one that eats the most then i wont have to take so much food!lol thanks everybody some great ideas

mums.toys, Oct 26, 8:15pm
perhaps somebody should start a thread dedicated to camping tip and cost saving ideas related to camping.considering camping season is just around the bend

nik12, Oct 26, 8:36pm
Holiday. hmm, well still hoping!

winnie231, Oct 26, 8:47pm
I've just bumped a couple of camping food threads up for you .