Whose started their xmas cake

Page 3 / 7
nzhel, Oct 26, 3:27am
Thanks for that elliehen - I'm going over again shortly so must have a look at those. Were they any brand in particular! - as Aldi sometimes stock a few varieties of items.

elliehen, Oct 26, 3:34am
I think there was only one Christmas cake.The tin was green with a circular 'viewing' window in the lid.If I can unearth the tin, I'll return and post whatever's written on it.

gardie, Oct 26, 3:55am
I just leave it on the bench- or in a coolish place - but doesn't need to go in the fridge.

mattdylan, Oct 27, 3:19am
Instead of using whiskey for Christmas cakes, could one use Kahlua! I have a whole bottle I need to use up, and never know what to mix with it to drink it

mattdylan, Oct 27, 3:24am
and Gardie, I am going to make your recipe, would it store alright in the cupboard till Xmas, or is the fridge best! and after making it do you just store it away til Xmas, not adding any more alcohol! thanks

gardie, Oct 27, 7:18am
Keep your Kahlua for the cheesecake mattdylan.I wouldn't want to add a creamy alcohol to the cake - Kahlua has a use by date (I think) whereas non creamy ones keep for ever (drinking excluded!)
The cake needs to be stored somewhere cool - I pop it in the fridge because I work all day and the house gets quite warm.I don't have to worry about it then.Seal it well (in the tin) as soon as you sprinkle the first lot of alcohol on it until cold and then wrap really well.No need to add extra once in storage.

badams1, Oct 27, 10:26am
gardie, like yourself,i have made xmas cakes, since adam. baked two more today. mine are never the same. i dont measure anything,use all sorts of ingredients in mine. but always a tsp of curry powder, with all the spices.i am a cake decorator, from years back. nothing like xmas cake.All the years, ive been baking, i have never placed in the freezer.just bake booze and wrap. leave in a cool place. enjoy everyone.

sharonann1, Oct 27, 10:35am
Have made 3 today and will make another 3 tomorrow. Then all done!
It is a easy recipe and very tasty! Keep on for us and give the others away to friends.

mattdylan, Oct 27, 8:02pm
Great thanks for the replies Gardie :) OK I will use my Kahlua for the cheesecake - I am thinking of using 42 Below Honey Vodka for Gardies Xmas Cake - would this work! Thanks, sorry to keep bugging :)

griffo4, Oct 27, 8:20pm
mattdylan l bought manuka gold premium liqueur and it is clear and l am thinking of putting it in the next cake l make as l have done one with 42 below feijoa and then the usual brandy one
Great ideas on here as always thanks

mattdylan, Oct 27, 8:24pm
Ok cool thanks griff I will give it a go with the honey vodka! yay can't wait to see end result :)

sarahb5, Oct 27, 11:07pm
Mix it with milk and drink it over ice - or pour over ice cream, in your coffee or hot chocolate .

sarahb5, Oct 27, 11:08pm
Kahlua isn't a creamy liqueur so does keep forever (although not in our house - too yummy)

lisanorthshore, Oct 28, 6:02pm
Hi Gardie, thanks for your help Ive just got to the stage where th cake is wrapped in glad wrap and in the back of the fridge - how long is it ok to stay there or could i put in freezer until I ice it = was going to ice closer to xmas, many thnaks lisa

gardie, Oct 28, 6:59pm
It'll keep for 6 months or more.Just bring it up to room temperature before icing or else your icing could 'sweat'.No need to freeze.

lisanorthshore, Oct 29, 7:54am
Thanks for that - so i can leave cake in the fridge until december and take out when i want to ice (after bringing to room temp) !

gardie, Oct 29, 5:26pm
Take it out the day before you want to ice it.You can leave it out of the fridge then and keep it somewhere cool - if there's any left, that is.

nzhel, Oct 30, 11:12am
Hi elliehen - did you manage to find the tin!

mattdylan, Oct 30, 8:35pm
Gardie I have done the first step with the druit and vodka soaking etc. I don't have a baking tin yet - I know it needs to be 23cm but how deep does it need to be! thanks!

dorothy_vdh, Oct 30, 8:50pm
In the oven now, thanks gardie for sharing your recipe, seems its going to be a very popular cake this year

gardie, Oct 31, 4:55am
Mine is about 6 -7 cm - its quite a standard size tin - rather than a shallower sponge tin.

lisanorthshore, Oct 31, 8:44pm
Thanks for your help Gardie, its all wrapped nice and tight in the bak of fridge!

gardie, Nov 1, 4:12am
You are welcome - I hope that everyone who has tried this gets the same pleasure I do when they share and eat it.

griffo4, Nov 3, 4:56am
l have 4kgs of dried mixed fruit and nuts soaking in 2 cups of manuka gold liqueur for the next 2 days then l will make it up
it smells so nice and the bumble bees keep coming inside and flying round it

gardie, Nov 3, 5:09am
Yum griffo.Never seen the manuka gold liqueur but it sure sounds good.