Whose started their xmas cake

Page 2 / 7
doug64, Oct 21, 8:08am
The old day has said she is too busy ironing and spring cleaning to start.I suggested she do it while I watch the rugby, as she can't make noise then

nfh1, Oct 21, 8:16am
LOL - I love a brave man!

elliehen, Oct 21, 8:20am
He's in danger of getting clobbered with a large metal kiwi ;)

shop-a-holic, Oct 21, 8:47am
I have to wait for my wooden cake box, bought off trademe last night for $11.50!So hanging out for it.and I really like the 42 below idea! Thanks for the inspiration. I think it would produce an outstanding result!

elliehen, Oct 21, 9:38am
Time for this 'Whisky Christmas Cake'.it trots out each year at about this time :

"You’ll need the following: a cup of water, a cup of sugar, four large eggs, two cups of dried fruit, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of brown sugar, lemon juice, nuts, and a bottle of whisky.

Sample the whisky to check for quality.

Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whisky is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Break two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares! Check the whisky. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don’t forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window, check the whisky again and go to bed."

schnauzer11, Oct 21, 1:16pm
Yep,Christmas cake time.As a nurse,I equip myself with a syringe,and inject the cake regularly over the ensuing weeks.Gets the fancied spirits right into the heart of the cake!

shop-a-holic, Oct 21, 7:52pm
Fabulous. At least whisky is spelt correctly throughout the operation. {giggles away here}

griffo4, Oct 21, 8:18pm
schnauzer11 that sounds like a good idea l will have to try that and the 42 below sounds like a good idea l will have to try as well
Now just have to find the time to make them

janet13, Oct 21, 10:34pm
Done one, in freezer, going to do another one soon.

greerg, Oct 21, 10:38pm
Done and gently maturing.If husband started taking risks like Doug64 it would make a handy 5kg missile.

buzzy110, Oct 21, 10:40pm
Very good suggestion and most thoughtful of you. I'm sure your wife appreciates your helpful and practical advice. If only more husbands were as kind and loving as you, there would be less divorce and fewer broken families. I hope you always get out the lawn mower and start it first time for your wife as well, like mine always does for me.

maynard9, Oct 22, 12:01am
Yep - mine are done - just need to save some $ now to post one of them to son in LA.He growls at me every year - but never tells me not to.As his wife doesn't like fruit cake he gets to eat the whole lot himself and savours it for months.

elliehen, Oct 22, 12:06am
I discovered Aldi Christmas cakes last year and am getting a couple brought over from Melbourne by Xmas Cake mule ;)

t.gypsy, Oct 22, 2:43am
will be soon once i get the fruit mix and the nuts.

mazzy1, Oct 22, 6:09am
Let's see that recipe, gardie - sounds like MY kind of Christmas cake! lol

gardie, Oct 22, 7:09am
Gardie's Christmas Cake(adapted from AWW Melt-and-mix fruit cake).

1 1/2 kg dried fruit*
1/2 - 1 cup alcohol of your choice (sherry, rum, whisky, brandy, contreau,
42 below feijoa - pick your poison!)
1 grated apple
1 big tablespoon honey
1 cup brown sugar
250grams melted butter.

Combine all the above ingredients and leave in a lidded bowl for a couple of days to mellow!Stir when you walk past and lick the spoon when done.(This step is not in the original recipe but I prefer to do this for umptious fruit).

When ready, stir in 4 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice.

Put into a deep 23cm round or 20cm square tin lined with three sheets of paper - I do 2-3 of newspaper and finish with a layer of baking paper.Make sure paper extends at least 5cm above the top of the tin.

Bake at 150degrees for 3 - 3 1/2 hours.Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle over some more of what you fancy - (between 2 tbsp - 1/3 cup).Fold paper over till within the tin and cover the whole lot tightly with tin roil and leave until cold.Remove from tin leaving lining paper in tact and wrap in a couple of layers of gladwrap.I like to store this in the back of the fridge but somewhere else cool is fine.You can pop on cherries and almonds before cooking if you don't ice your cake and then glaze with apricot jam.I do this bit after the alcohol but before covering so that the residual heat helps to disperse the jam nicely.
* mixed fruit or a combination - chopped dried apricots, cranberries, raisins, sultanas, mixed peel - have a look in the bulk bins at supermarkets/bin inn - some lovely different dried fruits there.Be adventurous!

griffo4, Oct 22, 7:34am
l am doing Alison Holst's recipe with the crushed pineapple, it is sitting on the bench in a plastic bag with the fruit for a couple of days then l will make the cake
and l will also make the recipe that comes with another dividable cake tin so l can make 4 x 6" cakes in one go and then l can post them off
Thanks to doug for giving me the inspiration to get started while hubby cooked dinner tonight for us

calista, Oct 22, 9:17am
I have made 3 and they are now in the freezer.

(I am going away the week after next, so it was now or never).

mazzy1, Oct 22, 10:24am
You rock, gardie! I'm going to make the yummiest, booziest, most Christmassy Christmas Cake this side of the black stump! Only 8 weeks to go. Gulp.!

gardie, Oct 22, 5:57pm
And don't forget a few cherries mazzy!Hmmm - cherries with cherry brandy.I also used Prenzel's Butterscotch liqueur one year.Nothing like variety.I decide on the liquor and use the fruits to suit.Happy cooking.PS9 weeks today - sorry to burst your bubble.I only know cos I'm a teacher and I'm already counting down the term!

indy95, Oct 22, 8:33pm
Never mind " nagging the wife " doug64, get cracking on it yourself ! The idea of a Christmas cake with not enough brandy in it is just too horrible to contemplate. Good grief, what next !

sarahb5, Oct 22, 9:32pm
I don't have to - I get my Christmas Cake in the post every year from a bakery in Chicago - stuffed full of pecans and fruit, very little actual "cake".My auntie orders it in the UK and has it delivered straight to us - she's been doing it every year since we got married and even though none of us likes pecans (I was too scared to tell her this for years but she knows now and still sends it) we slice it up and take it every time we go to a "plate" function.

sarahb5, Oct 23, 9:32pm
I don't have to - I get my Christmas Cake in the post every year from a bakery in the Collins StreetBakery in America - stuffed full of pecans and fruit, very little actual "cake".My auntie orders it in the UK and has it delivered straight to us - she's been doing it every year since we got married and even though none of us likes pecans (I was too scared to tell her this for years but she knows now and still sends it) we slice it up and take it every time we go to a "plate" function.

http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake!previous_url_id=0

lisanorthshore, Oct 24, 12:15am
Ive just done the first half of gardies cake and wondering if I leave covered on bench or in fridge for a couple of days!

griffo4, Oct 24, 8:18pm
l made my Alison Holst one last night and l have Gardies one on the bench soaking in a cup of 42 below feijoa flavour
l put it in a sealable plastic bag and then l can roll it around when l walk past and it has soaked up most of the booze overnight! l am wondering whether l should put a bit more in
l had to go on a hunt for the 42 below yesterday as it was sold out in a couple of places and l thought oh no so many others have read about Gardie's recipe and rushed out a bought it,lol
l am then looking at making Melfords big cake in my divider tin so l will get 4 cakes as once
Thanks again to doug for getting me started