To die for, Guava Jelly

summersunnz, Jan 11, 7:37am
Looking for paste and jelly recipes and found this thread - Crab apples are perfect for mini toffee apples - the tart flavour blends well with the sweetness.

cgvl, Jan 11, 8:10am
Jack Hunn is one of the best crab apples you can get IMO.
Have made some raspberry jam recently and only added half the sugar and its delicious, a real raspberry tartness to it. Only 1 jar left sadly so hope I can get some more soon.
Still have innumerable crab apples juiced down to make jelly and the tree is looking great again this year.

jhan, Oct 13, 12:00am
I wonder why this isn't made commercially! My neighbour gives me access to their tree and I carefully harvest the fruit over six weeks, boil it down, strain it and freeze it. In the winter I take out a container at a time and make it up into jelly. It's the brightest clear red and tastes divine. I give it away (lots back to the neighbour with the tree) and to others who generally hide it in the back of their fridges so the children can't find it and whoof it down. It goes great with lamb, or just on toast and it's especially great with plain scones. But me, I'll just eat it by the teaspoon full.

In the Islands like Hawaii, Psidium littorale var. cattleianum (stawberry guava) is a pest and usually the insects get into the fruit before it's able to be harvested andwild pigs disperse the seed. But here in NZ, its just the right growing conditions for it to do well and not be a pest. Some years the harvest is bountiful, some not.

indy95, Oct 13, 12:07am
I can relate to the comment about hiding it at the back of the fridge, jhan. That's what I do with my precious jars of crabapple jelly. I haven't tried making guava jelly yet but would be very keen to another variety to tmy repertoire.

creeky1, Oct 13, 12:40am
recipe please for the guava jelly.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 12:48am
Trust me jhan. If it was made commercially, instead of using quava, water and sugar it would use water, flavourings, sugar, preservative, colouring and the least amount of quava they could legally get away with. It would taste nothing like the heady mixture you cook up in your own kitchen and no-one, but those with the most jaded palates, attuned to a love of foods made in factories, would consider it worth eating.

I hear what you are saying though. We have 4 trees. I turn the fruit into jelly every 2nd year and many people are happy to accept a jar or two when offered.

davidt4, Oct 13, 12:55am
Make it as you would make any jelly which uses sour fruit.Wash the guavas and put in a preserving pan.Pour in water just to cover.Bring to the boil and cook until the fruit is completely tender but not disintegrating.Pour into a jellybag and leave to drain for about 8 hours or until it has completely stopped dripping.Do not squeeze or otherwise try to speed things up.

Measure the juice and pour into the clean preserving pan.Bring to the boil and meanwhile measure out sugar in the proportion of 3/4 c of sugar per 1 c juice.When the juice reaches a full boil add the sugar, stiruntil it dissolves, boil hard until it reaches setting point.

Pour into small clean jars and cover when cool.

cgvl, Oct 13, 1:12am
its divine, I haven't had any since I moved away form Auckland, you have me drooling.
I have oodles of crabapple jelly, My neighbours have 2 trees and I can have a much as I want, have several 2lt containers in freezer just awaiting the sugar.

elliehen, Oct 13, 2:47am
I make both quince jelly and crabapple (have made guava in the past).The only one I don't enjoy is feijoa jelly.too astringent.

The good thing about jellies is that they complement both sweet and savoury dishes and, as others say, make delicate hand-made gifts in small jars.

tony473, Oct 13, 3:10am
I made some last year.Yummy with cheese andcrackers and also use like cranberry, spoonful in gravies etc.

jhan, Oct 13, 3:40am
Right on. That's exactly it. I have always have trouble deciding whether its set or not, different batches have different times. Mind you, if it doesn't set, all you need do is boil it up again.

frances1266, Oct 13, 3:40am
I like japonica jelly, is quite sour but is yummy.

elliehen, Oct 13, 3:44am
I used to make quince paste, but it's a hassle (without a microwave to do it the fast way).so now I make a second batch of quince jelly and cook it extra long until it goes a really rich ruby red and sets like Turkish Delight.It is still clear, unlike the true paste, but can be cut like the paste to have with cheese.

katalin2, Oct 13, 3:49am
Just back from Malysia- and in one of the hotels they had the best ever jam- it was labelled pineapple jam, but it was more of a jelly consistency- then someone told me later when we visited a tropical fruit farm that it was more than likely pineapple and crab apple jelly. I am going to try to make some as it was such a delicate and unusual flavour- luckily I have some frozen crabapple in the freezer as I didn't have time to do anything with it this year.

elliehen, Oct 13, 3:54am
Do you know the name of your crabapple, katalin!I don't have my own tree but get given Jack Humm.

katalin2, Oct 13, 6:46am
Sorry no- it was an old fashioned one we planted about 30 years ago when we moved here- had to cut it down when we built on the part of the section where the trees were. It seemed to have a decent crop every 2nd year. Have replaced it with a Jack Humm last year as the man at the nursery recommended it- apparently you can eat the Jack Humms. I was just looking at it before- no flowers on it, even though I bought a good size one- it is up to the top of the fence. My other apple trees are in blossom. The crabapples in the freezer are from the old tree.

jag5, Oct 13, 8:04am
and Grape Jelly.and Loquat too.home made is the best and some fruit deserve to be special jelly not jam.so different.

elliehen, Oct 13, 8:45am
I don't think you'll regret it.I'll check my friendly neighbourhood tree and see how it's flowering.

Jack Humm crops heavily, is crisp and tart to eat and, with rain droplets on the bright red skin, the fruit in a bowl looks like a still life painting.

katalin2, Oct 14, 3:49am
Just back from Malaysia- and in one of the hotels they had the best ever jam at breakfast- it was labelled pineapple jam, but it was more of a jelly consistency- then someone told me later when we visited a tropical fruit farm that it was more than likely pineapple and crab apple jelly. I am going to try to make some as it was such a delicate and unusual flavour- luckily I have some frozen crabapple in the freezer as I didn't have time to do anything with it this year.