Cup cakes, all your tips please

Page 1 / 2
plc68, Oct 11, 12:16am
I'm not much of a baker but i have a month to practice, i want to make cup cakes for my sons 5th birthday. so i need all your tips, sounds silly but sometimes people have tips to make them fluffy or great icing so please all tips will help

lyl_guy, Oct 11, 12:25am
I discovered that to beat the butter and sugar together, if I soften the butter in microwave (on 20% power, short bursts, so it doesn't melt) and use my electric handbeater, the mixture comes out very light and fluffy.I also use castor sugar instead of normal.I have a gorgeous, no-fail recipe, which I'll find.

lyl_guy, Oct 11, 12:30am
From the AWW Book, "Kitchen".
Vanilla Patty Cakes
125g butter, softened, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2/3c caster sugar, 3 eggs, 1.5cups SR Flour, 1/4c milk.
Beat butter, sugar, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in medium bowl with electric mixer, on Low speed till ingredients are combined.
Increase speed to medium, beat about 3 mins, or till mixture is smooth and paler in colour.
Drop spoonfuls of mix into paper cases, Bake about 15 - 20mins at moderate heat.

lyl_guy, Oct 11, 12:33am
The Glace icing for them is really delicious too, and this method comes out a lovely texture.
1.5c Icing Sugar, 1/2tsp butter, 2 Tbsp milk, approx.

Sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl, place bowl over a small pot of simmering water - stir in the butter, and enough milk to give a firm paste. Stir over heat until spreadable.

sarahb5, Oct 11, 1:21am
Use Nigella's cup cake recipe - they're the best I've ever made and really easy too.If you search on here I'm sure you will find the recipe - it's how I found it

sarahb5, Oct 11, 1:23am
NIGELLA’S CUPCAKES

Ingredients

125g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
125g soft unsalted butter
2 eggs
Half a teaspoon real vanilla extract (I used vanilla essence)
(At this stage I added some mixed spice and cinnamon)
Approximately 2 tablespoons milk (maybe more as you need to make it into a dropping consistency)

1 x 12-bun muffin tin
12 muffin papers

Preheat the oven to 200C and line the tin with the muffin cases.

It couldn't be simpler to make cup cakes: just put all the ingredients except for the milk in the processor and then blitz till smooth.

Pulse while adding milk, to make for a soft, dropping consistency, down the funnel.

I know it looks as if you'll never make this scant mixture fit 12 bun cases, but you will. I promise you this mixture is exactly right to make the 12 cup cakes, so just spoon and scrape the stuff in, trying to fill each case equally, judging by eye only of course.

Put in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cup cakes are cooked and golden on top. As soon as bearable, take the cup cakes in their cases out of the tin and let cool, right way up, on a wire rack.

sarahb5, Oct 11, 1:24am
Only other tip I have is to make sure you buy "real" greaseproof paper cases as very often the pretty patterned ones aren't greaseproof and are a pain to get off your cup cake - Mrs Rogers I think mine are, they come in rainbow colours in a pack of about 90 from Countdown

katalin2, Oct 11, 2:08am
I have better luck using a moist cake recipe- our favourite ones are the lemon sour cream recipe( Annabel Laingbein I think) and one of the moist chocolate cake ones I got off here. Then make heaps of a brightly coloured icing- can just use a plastic bag with a small hole cut in the corner- and put it on with circles starting from the outside of the top to smaller and smaller circles towards the middle. Then you can decorate it with hundreds and thousands, little silver balls, or the special cupcake decoration packets from Countdown. Good luck! They are fun to make.

agave1, Oct 11, 2:26am
Wow!Would she mind giving us her icing recipe!

nzbadger, Oct 11, 7:01pm
Here is her cupcake recipe:
Ingredients:

250gSelf raising Flour

250gCastor sugar

250gsoft Butter

4 eggs

1 tspn Vanilla essence

Approx 4 tablespoons Milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 180c

Cream butter & sugar, beat in eggs 1 at a time & also 1 tablespoon of flour for each egg.

Then add vanilla essence & fold in rest of the flour.
Then add the milk to get the same consistency as before.

Spoon mix into paper cases in patty tins.
Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.

nzbadger, Oct 11, 7:04pm
The frosting is the one called Best ever frosting that was mentioned on here recently. Odd to make but yummy!
• 5 Tablespoons Flour
• 1 cup Milk
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla
• 1 cup Butter
• 1 cup Castor Sugar

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.

flower-child01, Oct 11, 7:22pm
Cupcakes are pretty easy. Simply cream your butter and sugar well, then beat well after adding the egg. Beat in the dry ingredients. On http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes (search cupcake results http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/!s=cupcake) I have a few tried and tested recipes I love and adore, chocolate cup cakes that are so moist, heavenly light & soft orange cupcakes, and plain vanilla ones. I also have my buttercream I use for parties, otherwise I ice them.

meegs35, Oct 13, 7:50pm
I agree with flower-child. Cream the butter and sugar really well then after each egg beat for a good minute. The secret to a light cupcake is in the beating. Also not baking them on too high a heat (as they will peak), and remving them from the tin to cool on a wire rack asap. The nigella recipe is a good basic one but the cupcakes there are much better ones out there.

nellbee, Nov 8, 8:17am
I've found that a wee spray of oil into the base of those kind of cases works well when it comes to getting 'em out.

sarahb5, Nov 8, 8:11pm
I just buy the greaseproof ones because they're easier and also the only oil I have in a spray is extra virgin olive oil which I would be concerned about tasting on my cup cake.But I haven't made them for ages because I'm on Weight Watchers - I must work out how many points they are, without frosting.

craftylady1, Nov 9, 2:52am
Sooo.those are gorgeous.where does she get the little flowers from.or does she make them with a cookie cutter of fondant!

lyl_guy, Oct 11, 12:30am
From the AWW Book, "Kitchen".
Vanilla Patty Cakes
125g butter, softened, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2/3c caster sugar, 3 eggs, 1.5cups SR Flour, 1/4c milk.

Beat butter, sugar, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in medium bowl with electric mixer, on Low speed till ingredients are combined.
Increase speed to medium, beat about 3 mins, or till mixture is smooth and paler in colour.

Drop spoonfuls of mix into paper cases, Bake about 15 - 20mins at moderate heat.

nzbadger, Oct 11, 7:04pm
The frosting is the one called Best ever frosting that was mentioned on here recently. Odd to make but yummy!
• 5 Tablespoons Flour
• 1 cup Milk
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla
• 1 cup Butter
• 1 cup Castor Sugar

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Takes ages! Use a cake mixer if you have one & scrape down the sides regularly. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream. Add colouring if desired now.

bev00, Nov 8, 11:58am
too good to lose .

lotsagiggles, Nov 9, 10:51am
why do cupcakes have so many eggs and can I substitute them for something else! I want to try this recipe but can't eat that many eggs http://www.tinytimtams.com/2012/02/12/rekorderlig-strawberry-and-lime-cider-cupcakes/

marcs, Nov 9, 10:58am
There are substitute for eggs like bi carb and vinegar. Look up on the internet or you may be able to find a egg free recipe.

marcs, Nov 9, 11:06am

lotsagiggles, Nov 9, 11:19am
I was interested in that particular recipe so was wondering if I could modify it. I can eat eggs just not in large quantities usually two are my max in a recipe.

gardie, Nov 9, 6:11pm
This is indeed a fabulous frosting - not sickly. I think it came originally from "The Pioneer Cook".

guest, Sep 21, 2:25pm
Hello! akkdefa interesting akkdefa site! I'm really like it! Very, very akkdefa good!