Cost of Producing Home-Made bread

exito, Sep 30, 11:21pm
Does anyone out there know the approximate cost of producing a ~700g loaf of bread from home! I'm tossing up whether it is worth my while purchasing a bread-maker. Thanks!

motorbo, Sep 30, 11:37pm
you can make bread without purchasing a bread maker

pickles7, Oct 1, 12:22am
who cares,,,, it is way nicer, more filling, makes better toast.
Panasonic is the best.

duckmoon, Oct 1, 12:46am
I don't think it is cheaper. but it is nicer.

I got my breadmaker from the school fair for $20 - so the cost of the breadmaker didn't really need to be included in the cost of each loaf

lilyfield, Oct 1, 2:50am
ingredients if you are buying wholesale===70 cents. plus power.
my breadmaker has produced so far 58 loaves plus 14 dough only.
It cost me $199$ Its still going strong, so you can do the math yourself.

lythande1, Oct 1, 3:06am
Depends where you buy the ingredients from, buying bulk flour 25kg at $20 it cost be 70c a loaf all up.

magenta, Oct 1, 4:26am
It also depends on what kind of bread you normally buy.Ifyou are just going to make basic white loaf then it is cheaper to buy it.If you like the more expensive wholemeal loaves like I do then I think it works out cheaper to do your own.I also make pizza dough, panini, pita and hamburger buns anf fruit bread.The latter is much niv=cer and better value than the shop bought version.If you are just starting you may need a little patience to get the bread right.I only use my breadmaker for mixing and although I have had to buy a new bread pan for mine I know that it has well and truly paid for itself.

uli, Oct 1, 4:32am
That is approx 400g of flour, a bit of yeast and salt and water - then whatever you want to add of course (spices, nuts, seeds etc) .

And no - the bread maker is not worth buying. For those approx $200 you can bake umpteen loaves of bread - make the maths yourselves!

You are much better off (if you want to save money) to buy 2 or 3 bread tins that fit your oven exactly. My three make 1.5kg of bread each - so I get 4.5 kg of bread from one "event".The oven costs me about 40 cents to heat up and bake. But that depends on the type of oven you have of course.

I then either cut the 3 loaves into halves and freeze them.
Or I slice them and freeze a set amount of slices.

That is "cheap" bread.

jane40, Oct 1, 4:32am
70 cents per loaf here for ingredients.i make bread without breadmaker.makes two loafs500gm flour, 1 tablespoon (15g) salt, 2 Teaspoons yeast (10g) 450-490 mls water.I bake mine on baking stones (ie pizza stones are good)

moreorless, Oct 1, 7:38am
Hi Uli, can you share what kind of bread pans you use, are you happy with them! I need to buy some.

rrrg, Oct 1, 10:34pm
Sourdough definitely cheaper

beaker59, Oct 1, 11:36pm
I got mine from the Warehouse for about 7 dollars each they work perfectly. As Uli said they don't need to be flash but they must fit your oven if you plan to bake lots of bread.

moreorless, Oct 2, 12:16am
Thanks Beaker59

pickles7, Oct 2, 12:20am
Brisco's have a sale on, great savings on baking pans, cast ironcook ware, fry pans, half price, a lot of it.

uli, Oct 2, 7:06am
My ones come all the way from Germany . Yes I know . not much use to you at all . BUT I would not use anything that has any "non-stick" coating - if that is any help .

moreorless, Oct 2, 7:39am
Thanks Uli, I really would like some good quality tins so they last, will keep an eye out. Thanks