Dishwasher question - cycle time

carlos57, Sep 26, 8:03pm
Hi. For the last few months we've had the feeling that our dishwasher is about to die. One of the clues is that the fast wash, which used to take 40 mins max, is now taking at least 1 1/2 hours. However, when we were looking at new dishwashers, we were told that for some brands the standard cycle time is 2 hours! We would definitely prefer a shorter cycle time, as we often have another lot of dishes waiting to go in. So, do you have a newish dishwasher with a reasonably short cycle! TIA

davidt4, Sep 26, 8:16pm
We have a Bosch Lifestyle Automatic and its short wash cycle takes 35 minutes.The short wash is perfectly adequate for most dishes apart from very dirty or greasy dinner plates.

The Bosch is the best dishwasher I've owned.

tw1nkle, Sep 26, 8:17pm
I have the Bosch Lifestyle dishwasher, bought about 12mths ago. It was hideously expensive compared to the F & P ones. It has a quick wash, I think about 35-40 mins. So quiet, and hasn't missed a beat unlike our double dishdrawer which it replaced.

tw1nkle, Sep 26, 8:17pm
Snap davidt4!

carlos57, Sep 26, 8:27pm
Thanks. We were looking at some Bosch models at the lower end of their price range. I wonder if they're as quick.

nfh1, Sep 26, 8:30pm
I had a Bosch in the UK - fantastic machine.When we came here we could not find Bosch locally and were persuaded to buy a Simpson.The Simpson was very cheap - needs all plates virtually washed before you put them in, takes ages, is noisy and I bet it runs for ever because I want it to break down.

It will be replaced with a Bosch.

rainrain1, Sep 26, 9:22pm
F + P was the best fast wash machine I ever had.When it died I replaced with a Bosch, the quick wash is hopeless for me, and the long wash takes ages.I really liked my F+P, and it also stacked better than the Bosch.When Bosch dies I will go back to F+P

carlos57, Sep 26, 9:55pm
Our current dishwasher is an old F & P (given to us secondhand five years ago, so not sure how old), and it just took over 2 hours for the fast wash!

seniorbones, Sep 27, 6:08am
I have dishdrawers and hate them! the cycles are very long and the dishes dont come out clean, so i have a new one called 'husband' , at first I stopped using it to see if it made a difference to the power bill and it dropped by $50 a month. So now he does them all the time but once I week I will run a quick wash or rinse through just to keep the pipes going.

carlos57, Sep 27, 6:11am
Unfortunately, my 'husband' model dishwasher does shift work, so often isn't here in the evenings ;)

buzzy110, Sep 27, 6:14am
How inconsiderate. Just stack and leave till the morning when Husband brand dishwasher should be available to carry out its proper function.

carlos57, Sep 27, 6:36am
Hmmm, I can see marital problems on the horizon.

elliehen, Sep 27, 6:50am
I have a Bosch with a half-hour wash cycle and I hardly ever set it to any other.It's whisper quiet too.

hutchk, Sep 27, 7:06am
I have a $650 Delonghi thing from Harvey Norman which is excellent at everything apart from washing and drying.

carlos57, Sep 27, 11:00pm
I'll stay away from that one then.

gardie, Sep 28, 12:26am
I have dishdrawers and absolutely love them - would never go back to a standard dishwasher.We only use the fast wash (56 mins) and never have problems with dishes not washing if it is stacked correctly.I even pop bowls over top of the plates and they all come out clean.Occasionally if I put a cup on the top rack on top of something larger, it will not come out clean as the water has been unable to reach up there.It is so quiet that the jug is noisier.

sarahb5, Sep 28, 1:03am
Our dinner plates don't fit in the dishdrawers - another to consider