Can you freeze cakes!

madrose, Sep 26, 1:19am
I am wanting to make a cake ahead of time and was wondering if you can freeze it! Thanks in advance

elliehen, Sep 26, 1:44am
Yes, cakes freeze well.

loren8, Sep 26, 1:55am
un-iced

buzzy110, Sep 26, 2:57am
WHY DO CAKES HAVE TO BE FROZEN UNICED! What is the rationale. I freeze left over cake (we always have left over cake that would just get thrown out if not for the freezer). They are always iced and they defrost perfectly, icing and all. What am I doing wrong! Only whipped cream doesn't come out 'nice', imo so I definitely wouldn't fill eclairs to freeze unless I used creme patisserie.

Is it some sort of special icing used to decorate cakes, not plain icing sugar or ganache variations, that I use, that doesn't freeze well! I froze my daughter's wedding cake and the icing on that (all that white marzipan stuff and royal icing - I think, plus piping icing) was perfect when I produced it at my grandie's first birthday.

kaddiew, Sep 26, 3:13am
I feeze cakes iced and uniced. No problems.

kinna54, Sep 26, 3:23am
I have frozen cakes uniced and iced. (I do prefer uniced tho).
The icing does tend to go stickier on commercially iced products (froze raspberry buns, and the icing just ran off.)
If freezing with icing on, don't let plastic wrapping come in contact with the icing.
I would also not freeze any cream filled product, the frozen items you buy already cream filled have a huge amount of stabiliser and gum products in them.

greerg, Sep 26, 3:24am
Most types of icing freeze well but chocolate butter and water icing sometimes goes pale after freezing (not always though).Ganche may well be fine.

elliehen, Sep 26, 3:40am
They don't, and please don't fret, you're doing nothing wrong ;)

In brief, it's:
+a personal preference
+ aesthetics are involved (see posts #7 & #8)
+practicality - easier to ice a frozen cake if it has a crumby top

buzzy110, Sep 26, 3:43am
Thanks for that geerg.

elliehen, Sep 26, 3:57am
PSYou're still perfect ;)

Just couldn't resist, could I!Shoot me now ;)

buzzy110, Sep 26, 4:13am
Gee. For a moment I thought I was reading another one of knowsley's misquotes.

Let's just finish the quote and put it into context.

If ya eat all that sort of stuff, then by that criteria, it was perfect.

knowsley, Sep 26, 9:22am
You only call it a misquote when you realise you have once again written something incredibly stupid, and try to dig yourself out of the hole.

rainrain1, Sep 26, 6:24pm
freeze a jolly good fellow