Chicken frames

motorbo, Sep 22, 4:16am
i have a few, what should i do with them! ideas please

cookessentials, Sep 22, 4:26am
Great for soup motorbo or stock.

245sam, Sep 22, 4:29am
Make good basic chicken stock - with the additions of e.g.onion, carrot, celery, fresh thyme, bay leaf.:-))

motorbo, Sep 22, 5:55am
they are really meaty, so yes i can make stock, what to do with the meat! i guess just cold in the fridge for lunch or something like that

fisher, Sep 22, 6:10am
Chicken Soup
Family Traditional Soup made by my ma from way back and is magnificent served with real fresh bread and lashings of butter.
Take 5 chicken thighs and cover with water.Add1 tsp of salt1 onion chopped1 tsp of crushed peppercorns5 garlic cloves crushed.
Motobro. just remove the meat, chop up and set aside. Boil the frames for about an hour with ingredients as per above. strain into large pot.
To the pot, now add the leaves of4 celery stalks, the peelings of 4 carrots2 bay leaves and let this simmer
Strain the juices again and return to the pot and add a pkt of Kings chicken soup mix (discard the peeling)Stir cover and simmer for 30 mins
While this is happening, chop up your carrots into chunky pieceschop up your celery stalks and chop 3 potatoes chopped into 2 cm squares.
Add all this to the pot with a chicken oxo cube and cover and cook until vegetables tender.Remove 1/4 of the vegetables and place in bowl.
Using a stick blender and a little soup juice, mash these vegetables to make a thick consistency and put back in the pot.
Add the small pieces of chicken to the pot for the last 5-10 mins. This ensures the chicken is not overcooked and remains tender.

motorbo, Sep 22, 6:12am
thank you fisher, so sorry i should have said im gluten free and i dont think i can eat that soup mix

davidt4, Sep 22, 6:15am
Chicken Soup with Lemon & Rice (Greek)

serves 6

1 x 2 kg chicken
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper
500g carrots, whole
500g small potatoes, whole
500g leeks, trimmed
½ bunch flat leaf parsley
125g short grain rice
3 eggs, separated
75 - 100 ml lemon juice

olive oil and lemon juice to serve

Put chicken, bouquet garni and salt in alarge pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and skim off impurities.Lower heat and simmer 70 minutes.Remove chicken to a large bowl.

Add carrots and potatoes to pan and cook 15 minutes until tender.Transfer to bowl with chicken.Add leeks and parsley to pan and cook 10 minutes, transfer to bowl with chicken.

Line a sieve with damp muslin over a large bowl and strain liquid.Discard debris.measure liquid and if it exceeds 1.5 litres return to pan and reduce.

Return stock to pan, bring to a simmer and add rice.Simmer 5 - 8 minutes until almost tender.

Meanwhile in a large bowl whisk egg whites to a soft peak, whisk in yolks.Add a ladleful of warm soup to eggs and whisk.Pour mixture back into soup, add 75 ml lemon juice and whisk softly to blend.Take off heat and stir 5 minutes.Taste for seasoning and lemon and adjust if nec.

Pick meat from chicken, slice veges.

Either arrange on a platter and dress with olive oil and lemon juice, serve with soup on the side or combine meat with soup and veges and serve in a large tureen, dressed with oil and lemon juice.

motorbo, Sep 22, 6:17am
ohhh davidt that is perfect . it sounds delish! thank you thank you

davidt4, Sep 22, 6:26am
You're very welcome.

toadfish, Sep 22, 7:52am
Noel's Chicken Soup
1 - 2 cooked chicken carcasses (or cooked chicken pieces, whatever you have)
Approximately two litres water
2 chicken stock cubes
1 packet Kings Country Chicken soup mix
About 1/3 cup Pam's soup mix (for those outside NZ this is just a cheap and cheerful basic soup mix)
1 large onion, chopped
About 1 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (essential!)
1 tsp minced garlic (or two cloves, crushed)
All or any of the following winter vegies (you can only usually fit in 4 or 5):

1 potato
1 large carrot
1 reasonable sized piece of pumpkin
1 - 2 celery stalks
1 parsnip
1 kumara
1/2 a swede or turnip
Throw everything together in a large pot or slow cooker and bring to the boil. Cook slowly for as long as you want or until the vegetables and pulses from the soup mix are softened and cooked through. Remove all the chicken bones and enjoy, no need to thicken or blend. Makes a super thick, chunky soup. Yum!

cookessentials, Sep 26, 12:13am
Bumping for someone wanting chicken frame soup ideas.