Sago Pudding

tencannz, Sep 25, 7:22pm
Could someone please help with a recipe for a sago or tapioca oven baked pudding. Thanks so much.

harrislucinda, Sep 25, 7:24pm
whathelpdoyouneed!justbakein sweetendmilkorcanputanegginforacustard

wheelz, Sep 25, 8:42pm
3 cups water
1/2 cup sago
Juice of 3 large lemons
zest of 3 large lemons
3/4 cupSugar
3 tablespoons Golden Syrup

Place sago and water in a saucepan with lemon juice and lemon zest and bring gently to the boil, stirring all the time to prevent sago sticking together, or sticking to the bottom.
When the sago is no longer white but transparent , add the sugar and golden syrup.
Remove from heat, stir in well and pour into a serving dish to set.
Best served with vanilla icecream or thick yoghurt.

wheelz, Sep 25, 8:44pm
Or:
50g sago
1/4c brown sugar
2 eggs which have been separated
1/4 tsp vanilla ess
1 pint milk (600ml)

Simmer the sago and milk for 7-10mins (it will expand and go transperant but you don't want it soft and soggy)
Take a small amount of sago out of the pot and put into another bowl, pour the beaten egg yolks into the bowl with the small amount of sago in it, then add the whole lot back to the main pot - really important that you don't chuck the eggs straight into the pot or you will get scrambled eggs! Bring back to the boil and add the brown sugar and vanilla.
Remove from the heat and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. The mixture at this point will become very light and fluffy and double in size.

wheelz, Sep 25, 8:53pm
The tapioca packet has a recipe on the back, which I have used. But it does need a looong soaking time, 4 hours for the very least.

beaker59, Sep 26, 3:09am
I do mine in the Slow cooker so easy and really nice everytime.
• 4 cups milk
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp Vanilla essence
Stir together the milk, sugar, tapioca, vanilla and eggs in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Medium for 3 hours, or on Low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

bev00, Sep 25, 10:43am
recycling .

dibble35, Sep 25, 7:16pm
I've got a really nice caramel sago microwave recipe if anyones interested, it's my favourite pudding at the moment actually. Can post it after work, let me know

lilyfield, Sep 25, 7:27pm
Soak the tiapioka for a few hours in the cooking liquid to save on cooking time and power costs

grandma, Sep 25, 7:47pm
Looking forward to your recipe dibble - I LOVE caramel!

lilyfield, Sep 26, 5:35am
Lol at my spelling------TAPIOKA

tutifruiti, Sep 26, 5:37am
My Mum used to make sago pudding adding golden syrup and sultanas and possibly lemon essence.

dibble35, Sep 26, 6:13am
Its easy as
1/4 cup sago
2 cups milk
Microwave this for 12-15 mins, stirring everyfew mins.
I butter/grease the top of the container to stop it boiling over.
When its cooked add 1 egg, 1/4cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and stir in straight away, heat cooks the egg and melts br.sugar.
My nephew and I love this, everyone else in the family hate sago/turn their nose up. so more for us. yay

grandma, Sep 26, 7:35am
Sounds delish - thanks dibble, guess what will be on the menu tomorrow night!

mottly, Sep 27, 3:52am
yummo.bought some sago today.time for frogs eggs caramel pudding. :)

carlosjackal, Sep 27, 4:07am
Note: If you want to make it more light and fluffy, but still rich, tapioca/sago pudding, separate the eggs. Use the egg yolks to stir in first to the pan with the tapioca. Once the pudding has become nice and thick, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl to soft peaks. Remove the pan of tapioca pudding from the stove, fold in the beaten egg whites into the pudding.

grandma, Sep 27, 5:48am
Mottly - frogs' eggs describes it exactly!(We always call it this - I'm really looking forward to trying Dribble's caramel version.)