Billy's pork belly on Master chef this week!

dbab, Sep 24, 2:47am
I can't find the recipe. Does anyone have a link to it! It was on the British versus French challenge.
i don't want to find out who wins, so I'm not going to search too hard for it.
It looked amazing though, and really impressed the judges.

ttwisty, Sep 24, 3:15am

48bubbles, Sep 24, 4:10am
x1
Twice Cooked Pork Belly with Apple Slaw and Steamed Fragrant Rice
Ingredients
Pork belly
1 kg piece pork belly
2 litres water
5 slices ginger
5 star anise
¼ cup black vinegar
3 cloves garlic
5 tablespoons light soy
3-4 tablespoons kecap manis
½ cup castor sugar
1 cup corn flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 litres vegetable oil
1/3 cup sea salt

Apple slaw
2 granny smith apples, cored removed
1 tablespoon sugar
Juice of ½ lemon

Pan grilled rice cakes
1 cup rice
reserved pork fat

Sweet ginger caramelised dressing
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups reserved braising liquid
1 tablespoon grated ginger

Method

1 Preheat oven to 200'C.

2 Cut skin from pork belly in one piece and set to one side. Pat flesh dry with paper towel .

3 Pour water into a large stock pot and bring to the boil. Add pork, ginger, star anise, vinegar and garlic and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes over a high heat and skim to remove any impurities.

4 Add light soy, kecap manis and sugar, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until meat becomes tender. Remove and allow to drain for 5-10 minutes. Reserve braising liquid. Sandwich pork between two chopping boards and weight it down with heavy objects. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill and allow to rest for 2 hours. Remove and cut pork into 3cm cubes.

5 Combine flour and salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Place egg in a separate bowl. Dust each cube of pork in flour, then beaten egg and redust in flour.

6 Heat oil in a saucepan, deep fry pork in batches until golden and drain well on a paper towel-lined plate.

7 Score reserved pork skin, lay flat on a baking tray and rub with oil. Pack the top side of the skin with sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes to render out fat. Remove from the oven, pour fat into a heat proof bowl and reserve.

8 Increase oven to 250⁰C. Brush salt from skin and return pork to oven. Bake for 30 minutes, checking every ten minutes until skin is blistered and crunchy. Allow to cool and cut into pieces.

9 For apple slaw, julienne apples and place in a bowl. Add sugar and lemon juice and toss to combine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to pickle. Squeeze out excess juices and set to one side.

10 Place rice in a saucepan half filled with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove and drain well. Spread rice over a baking tray and allow to cool.

11 Take spoonfuls of rice and shape into cylinders. Heat reserved pork fat in a frying pan, add 3-4 rice cakes and panfry, rolling cakes in the pan, until crisp and golden. Remove and set on a paper towellined
plate to drain.

12 For dressing, place sugar and soy in a small saucepan over a low heat and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer until mixture begins to caramelise. Add reserved stock, increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid has reduced to half.

13 Remove from heat, add grated ginger and stir well to combine.

14 To serve, arrange a handful of apple slaw on a serving plate and top with cubes of pork and pieces of crackling. On a second plate arrange rice cakes and spoon sauce into a serving dish.

48bubbles, Sep 24, 4:12am
Not sure if this is the right recipe you wanted

ttwisty, Sep 24, 4:16am
thats not it

lyl_guy, Sep 24, 4:28am
OMG that sounds DELICIOUS!

donnabeth, Sep 24, 4:48am
LOL; all that effort typing it out neatly and you get "that's not it". Thanks anyway, it won't go to waste because I can hardly wait to try it. That sounds so delicious.

lyl_guy, Sep 24, 4:59am
lol, yeah that's exactly what I was thinking!

samanya, Sep 24, 5:20am
Me, too.
A 'thanks, but that's not the recipe I was after' . would have been just fine
48bubbles .thanks for that & the trouble you went to to post it .I c & p'd it to my file & will give it a go, sounds lovely.

linette1, Sep 24, 6:03am
Oven roasted slow cooked pork belly
Start the preparation for this dish a couple of days in advance so that you can marinate the pork, then cook it slowly before roasting to create a special Chinese-inspired dish.
1kg pork belly skin removed
½ cup ight soy sauce
½ cup of water or chicken stock
¼ dry sherry
½ chinese 5 spice
¼ cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic sliced
1 tsp minced ginger
8 baby onions halved
1 red skinned apple thinly sliced
Place the pork into a large, sealable plastic bag or into a large dish. Add the soy sauce, stock, sherry, brown sugar, spice, garlic and ginger and seal. Turn to coat the pork evenly and refrigerate overnight.
Into the slow cooker put the onions, apple slices and prunes. Sit the pork and the marinade ingredients on top.Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until the pork is tender.Preheat the oven to 200°C fan bake. About 40 minutes before serving,place the pork into the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until very hot and golden. Allow meat to rest for 5 minutes before carving thinly or cutting into thick individual-sized portions.Serve the pork sliced on the hot apple and onion mixture and accompanied with your favourite greens. Garnish with toasted walnuts if wished.

griffo4, Sep 24, 6:15am
Thanks from me too for taking the time to post
l have been looking for a nice recipe to make up and now l have 2 recipes to try thank you both

griffo4, Sep 24, 6:20am
linette1 how much chinese 5 spice and is it 1/4 cup dry sherry!

griffo4, Sep 24, 6:24am
sorry about so many ! but what is kecap manis and where can l buy it in Whangarei!

linette1, Sep 24, 6:29am
Sorry about that 1 Tablespoon of 5 spice and 1/4cup of dry sherry, you can check this recipe it is on :
http://www.newworld.co.nz/recipes/2011/oven-roasted-slow-cooked-belly-pork

lyl_guy, Sep 24, 6:46am
It's a sweet, thicker soy sauce.I have an 'ABC' brand bottle I got from my local pak/n/save (west auck) but have seen it in all chinese grocery shops.

48bubbles, Sep 24, 6:54am
Thanks at least other people appriciated the recipe!

linette1, Sep 24, 7:12am
Your recipe looks delicious 48 bubbles.Found two substitute recipes for Kecap Manis.
Substitutes: I/.Combine equal parts soy sauce and either brown sugar or molasses, and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Or2/.Makes about 2 cups
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup Soy sauce
½ cup Water
Galangal root/or ginger, sliced in discs 1 or 2 slices
Star anise1 piece
Method Put the sugar in a small saucepan and place it over a medium-high flame. Stir until the sugar begins to clump together and then melt. Continue stirring until the sugar is completely melted, but do not allow it to burn. Remove from heat — the sugar will continue to cook for a while — and allow it to cool slightly.Stir in rest of the ingredients. CAUTION! The sugar is still hot, and the liquid may splatter. Return the saucepan to medium heat, bring it to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar and reduce the liquid to a syrupy consistency.Strain, cool and store refrigerate. Variations for 2/ : Use palm sugar instead of brown sugar if you can find it.Or Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of molasses for a richer flavor.
Have double checked quantities this time.

dbab, Sep 24, 7:27am
Thanks so much for all the positive replies. Much appreciated.

kismet41, Sep 24, 8:08am
I'm another one who is going to save this thread.I tried pork belly last night at one of our local restaurants and am now in love.It was WONDERFUL so I might have to set some time aside to try all of these adn report back

griffo4, Sep 24, 8:33pm
Thank you l have just done my shopping list and will try this next week