*Christmas recipes that are low carb, gluten free*

Page 2 / 4
accroul, Nov 19, 4:04am
all sweetners are bad - espicially if you are addicted to sweet stuff for their TASTE rather than the sugar high.

I thought this was supposed to be a recipe thread? :D

bedazzledjewels, Nov 19, 4:08am
I suspect a few of us will be using artificial sweeteners on Christmas Day.
Now I'd like some ideas for nibbles please. I'm useless in this area! Also any amazing colourful different salad or vege ideas would be good.

maxwell.inc, Nov 19, 4:19am
What about Palm sugar? where does that stand on the carb scale? (I'm interested really)

uli, Nov 19, 6:04am
Have answered you in the low carb thread maxwell - so we keep this for the recipes :)

kirinesha, Nov 19, 7:34am
Candied Pecans (slow cooker recipe) ~ Perfect for Xmas nibbles! ~

100gms pecans (halved)
110gms melted butter
12g Splenda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Add pecans and butter to slow cooker and stir so pecans are coated. Sprinkle rest of ingredients over and stir to coat again.

Cover, set on high and cok for 30 mins. Uncover, turn to low and let if cook 1 1/2-2 hours.

(makes 8 servings - 3gms usable carbs per serve)
** I'm going to make using walnuts instead this weekend.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 19, 8:00am
That sounds fantastic. Is that in the Dana book?

Didn't you do something with flax wraps once - sort of pinwheel type thingies?

kirinesha, Nov 19, 9:13am
Dazz, I did flaxwraps rolled up with smoked salmon and cream cheese and sliced like sushi - they turned out really well.

The pecan recipe is a Dana one :)

uli, Nov 19, 9:22am
Don't forget the fresh dill :)

kirinesha, Nov 19, 7:10pm
I actually used horseradish mixed in with the cream cheese rather than dill, Uli.

buzzy110, Nov 19, 11:12pm
Grilled Eggplant Rolls Stuffed with Feta: (Julie Biuso)

2 Large Eggplants (Cut lengthwise into thin slices)
Olive Oil
Sea Salt

200g Creamy Feta (mopped dry and crumbled)
1 cup loosely packed fresh Mint or Basil leaves
Finely grated zest of 1 Lemon
2 Tbspns Lemon Juice
2 Cloves Garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
1 fresh Hot Red Chilli (halved, deseeded and finely chopped)
1 Tbspn Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Put a little oil onto a plate and dunk several slices in (1 at a time). Let excess oil drip off (I brush the oil on with a pastry brush).
Cook in several frying pans on medium heat or use a bbq grill rack, till tender, golden and lightly charred around the edges. (I just put mine my easy cook and roast). You'll have to move them around often as they cook to prevent scorching.
Put cooked slices on a clean plate and season with sea salt.

Put Feta in a bowl with the chopped Mint or Basil, Lemon Zest and 1 Tblspn of the Lemon Juice
Spread a little of this mix over each slice of eggplant and roll up.
Cut rolls in half and arrange on a platter.
Can be kept at room temp, covered, for 1-2 hours
If you want to prepare ahead, cover and refrigerate but bring to room temp before serving.

Mix Garlic, Chilli, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Tblspn of Lemon Juice and a few pinches of salt in a small bowl and spoon over rolls.
Serve immediately.

buzzy110, Nov 19, 11:15pm
Grilled Eggplant - I like to cut eggplant into rounds, brush with oil and roast in my Easy cook till they are golden brown and slightly charred around the edges (I leave the skin on). Then I leave them on racks to cool then slice into quarters and use instead of crackers with dips and cheeses.

Salt before serving. These are little yummy morsels and the best thing is, because nobody likes eggplant or will even give it a taste, you don't have to save them or do to many.

buzzy110, Nov 19, 11:21pm
PORK RILLETTES (This decadent french pate is just the thing for high fat, low carb chunks to be eaten with grilled eggplant)

750g Pork - neck or belly (rind and bones removed)
150g Pork Back Fat
100mls Dry White Wine
3 Juniper Berries
1 tspn Sea Salt
2 tspns Dried Thyme
1/2 tspn ground Nutmeg
1/4 tspn ground Allspice
Pinch of ground Cloves
1 lge Garlic Clove - Crushed

Preheat the oven to 140dC
Cut meat and fat into short strips and put in casserole dish with rest of the ingredients
Mix together throughly and cover with a lid
Bake 4 hours
Tip into a sieve
Shred warm meat with 2 forks and season
Pack meat into a 750ml dish or terrine and cool to cold
Strain hot fat through a sieve lined with damp muslin and pour over the cold meat
Cover and refrigerate for up to a week

buzzy110, Nov 19, 11:25pm
Pork Crackling. Who can go past well cooked pork crackling?

Once again, I buy the lumps of raw crackling from the supermarket. Apparently nobody wants to see pork crackling on their legs of pork anymore! Bring home and tenderly score with an incredibly sharp knife, sprinkle liberally with salt and cook in a hot oven (once again I use my Easy Cook because it is just brilliant for this particular delicacy) till it is crackling. If you can stop yourself from eating it all, break into slices (which you scored into the fat) and store.

Brilliant to use like a pretzel or cheese stick for dips. Once again, everyone else will be turning their noses up at eating all that 'unhealthy' fat so it will be all yours.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 3:00am
A possible entree - witrh Christmasey colours too! From this week's Viva.
Ika Mata - raw fish.
1kg firm white fish
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup coconut cream
salt to taste
Tabasco to taste
Finely diced red onion, red capsicum, yellow capsicum, spring onion and fresh coriander
Method:
1 - Cut fish into small dice and put in a bowl. Tip over lemon juice and stir. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2 - Pour the fish and juice into a colander and drain.
3 - Return to fish to a clean bowl and add coconut cream, salt and Tabasco. Taste and add more salt or Tabasco as needed.
4 - Stir through all the diced veges except the coriander. Refrigerate before serving in small bowls decorated with the chopped coriander over the top.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 3:01am
Mussels - What about good old, steamed open mussels done in some cider vinegar with chopped red onions? This is one recipe that you can add or subtract other things - capsicum, dried tomatoes, herbs, celery. Extra Virgin Olive oil and lemon juice vinaigrette would be nice as well.

In the serve over deli of supermarkets you might be able to find little bell peppers stuffed with cream cheese and chilli mixes. These are rather nice, if somewhat expensive.

I have a wonderful, organic grape vine and I have been toying with the idea of stuffing the leaves with meats, vegetables and spices. Sadly I can't find a site that tells me how to prepare them. Anybody?

buzzy110, Nov 20, 3:11am
Pickled garlic cloves. If you haven't tried these and ignored them then give them a go. You can find them in the fruit and vegetable section of pak-n-Save. they are rather yummy. I'm not sure what they pickle them in so I would suggest only getting one small jar, and if you like them, wait till NZ garlic comes fresh into the shops and make some of your own. I'm sure there are recipes to be found on the Net.

accroul, Nov 20, 3:11am
buzzy - google Dolma.

accroul, Nov 20, 3:11am
buzzy - google Dolma.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 3:20am
Years ago you could buy rollmops which were some sort of pickled herring, rolled up and 'cooked' raw. They were jolly horrible even by my unusual tastes. However, if you were keen, you could buy a nice thick tuna fillet, slice thick slices, by cutting at an angle so that you get a wider fillet. Lay the fillets flat in a dish and cover with lemon or lime or combination of juice and leave to cook. You could then make up a mixture of anything you desired, spread onto your 'cooked' fillet and roll up, using a toothpick to hold together. If it were me I'd be tempted to put in some of my preserved lemon, capers and/or olives and put the made up rolls in a dish with some of the brine from my preserved lemons. Grilled and skinned capsicum would also go well.

brish, Nov 20, 3:26am
They have great cake and muffin mixes on this site, either online or from selected stores. http://www.lovecake.co.nz/home.htm

uli, Nov 20, 4:14am
And since I know the owneress personally I can very very highly recommend them :)

bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 5:03am
Interesting site, but nowhere can I find a list of what's actually in the products - just what's NOT in them. Maybe I missed something?

uli, Nov 20, 5:52am
If you want to pick your own leaves then pick ones that
are tender and smooth (no fuzz). You can prepare them by stacking
them underside up, with the stems on top of each other. Put about
10 leaves in each stack. Roll each stack up and tie with string.
Bring two quarts of heavily salted water to a boil. Boil the leaves
about 30 seconds, until they just wilt and turn a darker green.
Plunge leaves into cold water to stop the blanching process. You
can now use or freeze the leaves.

uli, Nov 20, 6:00am
Iraqi-Style Dolma

500g beef, minced
500g lamb, minced
1 cup long-grain uncooked rice (basmati rice works best)
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch ground cardamom
1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2/3 cup canola oil
4-5 carrots
water

Prepare grape leaves. Drain.

Peel and slice carrots lengthwise and line bottom of pot with them. This helps keep the grape leaves from sticking to the pot.

Soak rice in hot water for 10 minutes and drain. In a large bowl, combine rice, beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all spices.

Place each grape leaf shiny side down with stem end toward you on a flat surface. Cut off stem. Place 1 tbsp of rice mixture on leaf near the stem end. Roll top over once, fold ends in, and continue to roll completely (rolling away from you). Repeat with remaining leaves.

Arrange rolled grape leaves in pot seam side down, tightly packed. Place each layer in opposite direction of previous layer, in a criss-cross fashion. For even cooking, try to have no more than 4 layers.

Combine lemon juice and oil and pour over grape leaves. Top with water until approximately 2cm below top layer.

Place large plate on top, and place a heavy weight on plate (a foil-wrapped or well scrubbed stone works great).

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for approx. 1 hour, until rice is thoroughly cooked. Allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with lemon wedges or Greek yogurt. Enjoy!

Due to the very small amount of rice per dolma this is pretty low carb :)

buzzy110, Nov 21, 2:10am
Oh thank you so much uli. will copy and paste the recipes into my folder. I have also been searching myself and realise, that cabbage leaves can be used just as well, in the absence of vine leaves.