Baking with egg whites - recipies wanted (not pav)

pyrogalf, Sep 15, 6:38am
I have a new fave choc chip biscuit recipe, which uses one egg and one egg yolk.I've been saving the whites but not sure what to do with them - I'm no good at pavs!I looked at angel food cake but it will be a while until I have enough egg whites for that!I have four egg whites so far - any ideas for nice cakes or slices that could help me use them up! Much appreciated :-)

buzzy110, Sep 15, 7:04am
I have never cooked this recipe but another poster posted the recipe after discovering how wonderful it was:

Annabel Langbein’s Strawberry Cloud Cake
Base:
150g plain sweet biscuits (made into fine crumbs)
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g butter, melted
Mix altogether and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin lined with baking paper.Refrigerate while preparing base.
Filling:
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in a clean dry bowl of an electric beater. Beat on high for 6-8 mins until mixture is very thick and fluffy and the sugar is dissolved. You should not feel any gritty sugar after this time. If you do beat for longer.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. Will keep in airtight container in freezer for up to a month.

buzzy110, Sep 15, 7:06am
Here is another recipe that I have never made, but saved from these boards. I'm sorry to the original poster because I never saved your name and now cannot attribute it to you:

FROZEN BAILEYS CHEESECAKE
300g Spreadable Cream Cheese – Cool
250g Cream Cheese – Room temperature
2 Lemons Rind
1 ½ cupBaileys Liqueur
½ cup Sugar
¼ cupWater
3 Egg Whites
Crunchy Chocolate Topping
½ cupDark Chocolate Bits
3 Tbspns Coffee Beans – finely ground
6 Tbspns Cream
Method
• In a bowl blend spreadable Cream Cheese (mascarpone!), Cream Cheese and Lemon Rind
• Gradually work in the Baileys and set aside
• Put Sugar & Water into small saucepan over low heat and stir until Sugar dissolves
• Stop stirring and bring to a rapid boil, boiling until the syrup reaches soft ball stage, (see Cook's Tip, below). Remove from the heat.
• Beat the Egg Whites until stiff and then gradually beat in the Sugar sYrup, beating until you have a very thick and glossy meringue
• Fold the Egg White Meringue into the Cream Cheese and Bailey's mixture
• Pour into a 23 cm springform cake tin and freeze for 8 hours or overnight
• Place the Chocolate, Coffee and Cream together in a heat-proof bowl and melt in the microwave. Cool before pouring on top of the cheesecake. Return to the freezer for 2 hours.
• Allow to stand in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving.
Notes
• **Best used within 1 week.
• **Cooks Tip: Soft Ball Stage: To test, place a wet teaspoon into the syrup and drop into a cupful of cold water . If it forms a soft gluey ball that can be squashed and rolled in your fingers, then it is right. If tacky, continue to boil a minute or two before trying again.

buzzy110, Sep 15, 7:08am
Once again I have never made this recipe but I got it from here. Apart from one regular contributor I actually believe that most people post recipes that they have tried. In this case, because I'm not into making sweets I haven't tried this one either.

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM CHEESECAKE
Base
750gmsCoconut or Digestive biscuits
6 ozsButter
Filling:
250gmsCottage Cheese
250gmsCream Cheese
2 tbspCold Water
1 envelopeUnflavoured Gelatine
2 Lemons Juice and rind
6 tbsp Baileys (or chocolate-flavoured) Liqueur
300mls Whipping Cream
2 eggWhites
125g Icing Sugar
2 oz melted Chocolate flavour.
To make Base:
• Combine Coconut or Crushed Biscuit Crumbs with melted Butter.
• Press into springform pan. Chill.
To make filling:
• Sieve Cottage Cheese
• Mix with Cream Cheese and beat well
• Mix Gelatine with cold water, and let set 5 minutes. Heat over hot water to dissolve. Blend into creamed mixture.
• Add Lemon Juice and Rind and continue beating until mixture is very smooth.
• Beat in Liqueur
• Beat Whipping Cream and fold into Cheese Mixture
• Beat Egg Whites until stiff and gradually add Sugar
• Carefully fold Egg Whites into batter
• Pour into Crumb Crust
• Refrigerate 6 hours
• To serve: Drizzle Melted Chocolate over surface.

jessie981, Sep 15, 7:18am
Old recipe. shortcake base rolled out thinly.top with Meringue - 2 stiffly beaten egg whites, add 4TBSPs sugar & beat again until stiff.Spread over base, cut into either squares or fingers & bake 20 -25 mins @ 180 or until crisp.These are yummy.

jessie981, Sep 15, 7:27am

pyrogalf, Sep 16, 10:32pm
Thanks for the ideas so far.Does anyone have anything they have actually made!Am thinking more of an every day kind of slice or cake - though some of these sound fantastic for special occasion - think the Baileys Cheesecake will be on our Christmas menu!

skye7, Sep 17, 2:09am
I have made this and highly recommend it.

buzzy110, Sep 17, 6:45am
Well I have made scrambled eggs and omelettes by adding left over egg whites. The extra egg whites don't alter the finished product and it still tastes as good. No recipe needed for those two. I'm afraid they are not actually baking, but they do use up spare egg whites. Egg foo yong and frittata would also soak up excess egg whites. And don't forget the American trend of making egg-white-only omelettes and scrambled eggs.

daleaway, Sep 18, 12:44am
LIGHT MOUSSE

100g chocolate
4 egg whites
50g sugar
pinch salt

Melt chocolate and cool.
Beat the other ingredients to the stiff peak stage and fold in the chocolate gradually.
Chill (in separate glasses). Serves 6.

jessie981, Sep 18, 12:48am
Have baked these many times.

kabbo, Sep 18, 2:47am
louise cake/slice.
uses egg whites.
i havent got a recipe to hand, but it is a shortcake base, spread with raspberry jam, then spread a mix of egg whites, sugar and coconut, beaten together.

raebee, Sep 18, 10:09am
not a cake or slice, but i make mini meringues heaps - alison holst recipe uses 1 egg white and makes about 60.I eat them as they are for a sweet treat.or of course with icecream, fruit or whatever for dessert.tried and true and never fail too. I can give you recipe, or google alison holst economical meringues.they last forever too!(well if i don't tell anyone else in the house where they are!)

elliehen, Sep 18, 10:24am

margocooke, Nov 10, 5:00pm
if you have a free stand cake mixer I have a never fail pav recipe if you are interested

kiwirose1, Nov 14, 1:24am
Yes please would love a good pav recipe thanks

uli, Nov 13, 5:23am
Marshmallows - these ones here always work:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/07/marshmallow-recipe-candymaking/

uli, Nov 14, 3:29am
bump for vampiriousmist

flier3, Nov 14, 4:52am
I second the idea re mini meringues - makes loads every Christmas, keep some and give the others away as gifts - folk LOVE them :)

cats5, Nov 15, 2:55am
annabels lemon and ginger icecream yum

uli, Nov 15, 4:38am
I prefer to have the yolks in my ice cream - yum alright!