"Jelly Bag"

digger80, Sep 13, 9:11am
can anyone please tell us,where we can obtain one from!,we saw a good one on "River cottage"earlier this evening,one like that would be fab,thanks for reading,hope we get some luck from here

porsh_a, Sep 13, 9:21am
I'm not sure about the one on "River Cottage" - as wasn't watching it.But if you Google "Jelly Bag" + "The Cook Shop" (NZ pages) you will find a basic one.

cookessentials, Sep 13, 9:38am
Most cookware stores sell them. Depending on the type you want. You can get smaller nylon or cotton. You can also get them as a set with the frame or just the bag on it's own.

digger80, Sep 13, 9:41am
thanks for those idea's,we'll have a look tomorrow

nauru, Sep 13, 11:15am
I got mine a few years ago from House of Knives.Try Stevens.

juliewn, Sep 13, 11:17am
There's one here: Listing #: 406499122,.

Or you could make one using 2-3 layers of muslin from a fabric shop - make it in a large circle of fabric, with half the diameter the same as the measurement from the bottom of the bag to the top of where straps/handles will attach.

Stitch tape around the edges to reinforce them, and at four or more points around the circle, attach straps, which will hold the top together when it's hung - a fabric shop will be able to suggest tape that's suitable. and you'll be able to make the bag yourself.

Wash it and rinse it very well and dry before using.

Hope this helps. and enjoy making your own jellies.

horizons_, Sep 13, 7:49pm
Just use a pillow slip or a smaller calico bag similar to what you get rice in. Works for me.

bappy, Sep 13, 8:31pm
What is a jelly bag used for!

hezwez, Sep 13, 8:54pm
Making jellies like quince, guava etc, as opposed to making jams that have the seeds and pulp etc. still in them.

prawn_whiskas, Sep 13, 9:03pm

davidt4, Sep 13, 9:05pm
I've got one of those and it's great.The stand adapts to different draining receptacles and is very strong.

cookessentials, Sep 13, 9:48pm
A jelly bag is used for straining your jellies mainly, so that you get a nice clear jelly without any bits in it. Often used for the likes of crab apple or guava jelly.

cookessentials, Sep 13, 9:49pm
Thats quite expensive for a jelly bag and stand.

sarahb5, Sep 13, 11:49pm
My dad used one for straining fruit to make fruit wine so you might find one in a homebrew shop or somewhere like that

cookessentials, Sep 14, 12:06am
Yes, absolutley. Alot of people use a clean pillow case or buy a fine muslin and tie to a wooden spoon and hang it over the sink with the bowl below or over a stainless steel bucket if you are making large amounts.