Absolute novice and I need to cook a FISH dish!

saullier, Sep 12, 12:15am
Hi cooking experts, I kneal in the long shadow of your excellence.
I was not brought up with seafood and know very little about it. I like snapper and tuna fish and don't really know much else.
Anwyay, I would like to go to the fish market tomorrow and buy a fish of some sort. and cook it. somehow.

Does anyone have any SIMPLE recipes for a great fish dish! And any tips too!

TIA

cookessentials, Sep 12, 12:26am
Depending on what the weather is like and what you like, you could do a simple fish curry.
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon hot chilli sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons fresh chopped ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
500g snapper Snapper fillets, cubed
150 mls chicken stock
1/4 cup coconut milk
sea salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh coriander
1 lime, juiced
steamed jasmine rice and bok choy to serve

Heat the oil in a medium pan and stir in the garlic and onion. Cook until softened and stir in the chilli sauce, cardamom pods, ginger, cumin and coriander.

Add fish. Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk and simmer for 2- 3 minutes or until fish is just cooked.

Stir though the coriander and lime juice and serve with steamed jasmine rice and bok choy

cookessentials, Sep 12, 12:29am
You could do a fish pie, fish cakes, crusted fish fillets.

otterhound, Sep 12, 12:39am
The simplest of all - buy boneless fish fillets, tell the person at the fish market you want some suitable for pan frying and they'll put you on the right track.Heat some butter and some oil in a frying pan - I use about same quantities of each.Doesn't have to be much, just enough to easily coat the bottom of the pan,Lightly coat the fish fillets with plain flour, shaking off the excess.Pop in the pan and cook one side then flip it over and do the other.Will only take minutes, depending on the the thickness of the fish.Don'tovercook it - when you put a fork into it, you should be able to seperate the "flakes" and it should be opaque all the way through, then remove immediately and serve with wedges of lemon.

lx4000, Sep 12, 12:48am
or you could crumb it and fry as above:)

fisher, Sep 12, 12:52am
What about a whole snapper in a fish parcel. easy peasy.
Just ask for a whole gilled and gutted snapper and give the guts a quick wash out just before preparing.dry out with paper towel
Make some slices about 3 cms apart on the outside on both sides. sprinkle a little salt and white pepper in the slits and stuff in a little dill.
Roll out a long piece of foil and lay the snapper on top. Place some butter slivers and thin lemon slices underneath. salt and white pepper in the gut cavity and then some lemon slices and a bunch of washed fresh parsley, stalks and all.
Place another sheet of foil on top(can drizzle some white wine on top if desired ~ optional) and roll the edges to make a parcel.Place into a roasting dish or tray and cook on pre heated oven at 180 for 15 mins and then carefully turn over for another 15 mins. remove from oven and let rest on cutting board for another 10 mins. careful opening for the hot steam.

saullier, Sep 12, 1:13am
This sounds delicious too!

pickles7, Sep 12, 1:17am
You could also make up individual parcels, and bake them in the oven. Grease a piece of baking paper, finely chop a little celery, onion, and capsicum. put 1 Tbsp of this on the paper , to sit under the fish fillet, lay the fillet on top, sprinkle chopped sun-dried tomatoes over, then lay two slices of lemon on the fish, a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt a shake of pepper. Fold up, refrigerate while you make up the others. Bake in a medium oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
Serve unwrapped, cut a slit to release the steam.

sarahb5, Sep 12, 1:32am
We had home made crumbed gurnard on Saturday night and hubby proclaimed it better than any he's had in the fish and chip shop lately!Simply coated in seasoned flour (I put my flour and seasoning in a plastic bag - less messy), then dip in beaten egg and coat in panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).I left it on a plate in the fridge to "set" before frying in shallow oil in a frying pan and it was delicious.

rainrain1, Sep 12, 1:39am
simply the best !

saullier, Sep 12, 10:00pm
Exciting challenge!

saullier, Sep 13, 12:15am
Hi cooking experts, I kneal in the long shadow of your excellence.
I was not brought up with seafood and know very little about it. I like snapper and tuna fish and don't really know much else.
Anwyay, I would like to go to the fish market tomorrow and buy a fish of some sort. and cook it. somehow.

Does anyone have any SIMPLE recipes for a great fish dish! And any tips too!

TIA

otterhound, Sep 13, 12:39am
The simplest of all - buy boneless fish fillets, tell the person at the fish market you want some suitable for pan frying and they'll put you on the right track.Heat some butter and some oil in a frying pan - I use about same quantities of each.Doesn't have to be much, just enough to easily coat the bottom of the pan,Lightly coat the fish fillets with plain flour, shaking off the excess.Pop in the pan and cook one side then flip it over and do the other.Will only take minutes, depending on the the thickness of the fish.Don'tovercook it - when you put a fork into it, you should be able to seperate the "flakes" and it should be opaque all the way through, then remove immediately and serve with wedges of lemon.

sarahb5, Sep 13, 1:32am
We had home made crumbed gurnard on Saturday night and hubby proclaimed it better than any he's had in the fish and chip shop lately!Simply coated in seasoned flour (I put my flour and seasoning in a plastic bag - less messy), then dip in beaten egg and coat in panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).I left it on a plate in the fridge to "set" before frying in shallow oil in a frying pan and it was delicious.