Omelette pan!

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:58pm
How many of us know the "critic"! We must compassionately set well-defined boundaries with them. For me that means tuning them out in order to achieve balance and personal success.
"A non-doer is very often a critic - that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change." -Wayne Dyer

pickles7, Sep 11, 7:24pm
take your "meds" cooks

cookessentials, Sep 11, 9:46pm
how childish.but no surprises there.

davidt4, Sep 11, 11:12pm
Here's a picture of a classic omelette/crepe pan.The one depicted is very expensive, but you can probably find something just as good and much cheaper at a commercial kitchen supplies shop.I use a plain steel omelette/crepe pan that I've had for about 20 years.Nothing ever sticks to it.

http://www.millyskitchen.co.nz/index.cfm!C99C4B6E-EE20-EBDD-A923-00CE19F08D21&cat_uuid=null&pde_uuid=3ECCFFBD-E018-8BD1-32D6-29BF52404A2E&orderby=pde_name&orderdir=asc%C2%A4trow=0&currentrow=0&sitemode=normal&pit_uuid=3ED2C2E5-E018-8BD1-32AA-E45DD9D53CCD

Have your pan very hot, add a good lump of butter and as it foams pour in the eggs (no more than three eggs per omelette).It's best not to add milk or water to the eggs, just a little salt, and beat them with a fork for about a minute so that they are well broken up but not foamy.

davidt4, Sep 12, 1:00am
That's right.It just gets washed in hot soapy water with the other pans.

Our favourite filling is buttered spinach and blue cheese, although buttered mushrooms with gruyere comes a close second.

lx4000, Sep 12, 1:16am

buzzy110, Sep 12, 4:31am
I make perfect omelettes every time. I've never used a non-stick pan. I have several copper bottom s/s pans, 2 cast iron pans, 2 cast steel pans, and high sided Dinerite skillet. Ive even cooked them on the bbq plate. Let me just say that you do not need to spend millions on toxic, non-stick, specially designed pans. I make mine like uli makes hers - always folded over with delicious fillings.

deus701, Sep 12, 5:46am
lol i know how you feel #1! In my first year of culinary school I struggled with it.until the tutor told me to bring my own eggs to school for practice. I watched youtube videos, tried different combinations, bought my own pan hahaha

anyway all you need is a non-stick crepe pan. Make sure the eggs are well beaten & seasoned with salt + pepper (just eggs, no milk).Get your pan medium hot, add abit of butter and wait for the butter to foam and hiss up.the point where the butter stops hissing and the foam starts dying down is when you pour your mixture in. Once you put it in, wait for 5-8 seconds for the eggs to set and bring the outer edges towards the middle.tip the pan so the liquid eggs will spread and cover the exposed pan. For the sea-slug 'shape', hold your pan at a 45 degree angle downwards and tap sharply on the pan handle so the omelete will slide and you can start rolling it up 3/4 of the way.when nearing the edge, tip the pan over a plate and you have your omelette! If you can't get the sea slug shape, you can always place paper towel over the omelette and shape it with your hands.and to get the glossy look, just rub abit of butter over the top.

unknowndisorder, Sep 12, 8:22am
Deus, thanks for that (and all others).
Cooks - how much are Mastrad pans. I bought a cheap pan today and attempted to make pancakes, but that was even worse. I do need new decent utensils.

The good news was the birds loved the failures (plenty) and we ended up having pikelets (using egg rings to stop spreading).

I should just go spend a few hours with mum and see if I can finally get halfway decent results. I hope a decent pan would help, but know mum uses whatever she's got. I'm just unco and make everything look difficult lol

kuaka, Sep 12, 9:18am
I've got two omelette pans.One is as old as the hills and has no makers mark or identifying marks of any sort, in fact, it looks "home-made".I've had it since new about 45 years ago.The other one has a "dimpled" bottom but rounded and is marked "Kirkland Signature Professional Quality - 20cm omelette"- it's brilliant.I picked it up at an op shop for the princely sum of $1 and it looked as though it had never been used.

I just wipe them out with the dishcloth or paper towel, and they never stick.The old one looks old and well used, but I'd rather it look like that than be all bright and shiney and stick like the devil.

unknowndisorder, Sep 12, 9:53am
Uli, I haven't bought one yet. I'm thinking about it, but do think I should spend time with mum first and see if she can help me develop some sort of technique.

I will end up buying a pan (or not) depending on what I can find, and how I feel about it at the time. I can't justify almost $300 on any pan, let alone one that I'll use once or twice a week during summer (I love omelettes over summer).

I drink, I smoke, I'm going to die of a very known disorder (death at a guess) and I will endeavour to enjoy life as best I can until then. If I choose to spend around a hundred dollars to make my life a little bit easier to feed us, then so be it. My husband doesn't mind, so I don't feel that anyone else matters as to what they think.

I have seen enough history between you two in the past year, and appreciate what Cooks has done, whatever her motives. You have your opinions, which you're welcome to, and I wish I could find something I will be content with for $30, but if not, more will be okay.

I started cooking and baking last year, after having taken about 20 years off (with the odd bit of cooking, my husband didn't even know I could bake and we've been married about 18 years).

You can continue your vendetta with me if you choose, I don't spend enough time here to give a damn, but I will ask for advice when I need it.

pickles7, Sep 12, 10:51am
I don't ever wash mine in detergents, do like you , wipe them out with a clean dry cloth.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 6:44pm
you forgot to quote on davidt'spost and suggest not paying over $300 for an omelette pan.are you suffering an "unknown disorder"! I am sure OP will choose a pan which suits her and her budget. She has asked a question and has been given a number of options, as per usual, you tend to rubbish anything that is not your suggestion. You will also note that nowhere in my post did I mention that the Mastrad pan was non-stick which just goes to show that you have nothing better to do than jump on any post I submit. I deal in cookware every day and have done for a number of years, funnily enough, I actually know what I am talking about. I dont have any motives apart from giving the benefit of my experience. OP will take what advice or suggestions are given and make her decision based on her own budget and thoughts.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 6:58pm
How many of us know the "critic"! We must compassionately set well-defined boundaries with them. For me that means tuning them out in order to achieve balance and personal success.
"A non-doer is very often a critic - that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change." -Wayne Dyer

buzzy110, Sep 13, 4:31am
I make perfect omelettes every time. I've never used a non-stick pan. I have several copper bottom s/s pans, 2 cast iron pans, 2 cast steel pans, and high sided Dinerite skillet. Ive even cooked them on the bbq plate. Let me just say that you do not need to spend millions on toxic, non-stick, specially designed pans. I make mine like uli makes hers - always folded over with delicious fillings.