The Masterchef 'omelette'...

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 14, 8:23pm
So top Aussie chefs make their omelettes with milk? Or even cream? Has no Frenchman ever complained? Or better still pointed out to them that adding milk to the lightly beaten eggs creates the perfect scrambled egg mix, but never ever an omelette?

But then, these are the cooks who steal Pavlovas...

beaker59, Dec 14, 9:01pm
I make mine with milk but then I'm not French, I do speak french however when drunk.

jubellsrose, Dec 15, 12:04am
I use water instead of milk or cream.

cookessentials, Dec 15, 2:03am
I prefer water and can make a very tasty omelette.

daisygirl, Dec 15, 2:04am
I use water.just a dash.

davidt4, Dec 15, 2:20am
I've just watched the program.Neither of the finalists was making a French omelette, which should consist simply of eggs and a little salt, no water, milk or other addition.Their pans weren't hot enough and they worked too slowly.An omelette made correctly is golden brown on the outside, slightly runny ("baveuse") inside, and takes about 90 seconds to make.

punkinthefirst, Dec 15, 2:58am
That's what I was taught....But then, look at all the other deviations from classic recipes which have turned up on the show (Black Forest Gateau comes to mind!)

davidt4, Dec 15, 3:12am
Yes, the Black Forest Cake was a travesty.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 15, 7:27am
Isn't it interesting? So many variations. I was taught all omelettes were French in origin, the only acceptable recipe was eggs, a splash of water, light salting to taste, lightly beaten together, lightly cooked in butter if anything and 90 seconds sounds about right to me too.

During the programme last night I was yelling at the tv on the omelette section, I couldn't believe the judges let it go. Milk!! Travesty, lol!

Ahhh the joys of family brainwashing eh? But I do know you can't beat a good omelette. Except maybe if you skip the water, and add fresh caught whitebait.

Now THAT'S cooking!!

b.j.nichols, Dec 15, 9:08am
I NEVER add milk to scrambled eggs, just yuk imo.

lizab, Dec 15, 9:41am
couldn't believe they were given 8 or 9 minutes to make an omlette!!????

rainrain1, Dec 15, 6:48pm
I reckon there is way too much cream added to food.It spoils the taste of a lot of food.....

beaker59, Dec 15, 7:37pm
Bunch of puritans

rainrain1, Dec 15, 10:02pm
Nah!Never!

fisher, Dec 15, 10:59pm
Concur :}

ashanti, Dec 15, 11:04pm
I think you should go with whatever you like- I add a dash of whole milk to my omelettes and they are always very light. I don't cook them in butter because I hate the taste of food fried in butter.Am I a barbarian? lol

davidt4, Dec 15, 11:05pm
Hardly.If I want eggs and cream I will make scrambled eggs.If I want egg I'll make an omelette.Both with lots of butter.

uli, Dec 15, 11:10pm
yeah I reckon too - add lots of water to everything - Asterix already said: "it gives a lovely taste" ...

rainrain1, Dec 16, 12:38am
con whatever you like

punkinthefirst, Nov 3, 3:58pm
Nope....an ex chef who was taught classical recipes, and was also taught that once you vary those classical recipes you can't call them by the same name.
The classical recipes were worked out and perfected over years by the great chefs. Who am I to serve something different under their titles?