What's a nice simple cake recipe for a Dummy!

Page 2 / 2
deus701, Sep 7, 1:18pm
here you go
http://www.mediafire.com/!srbuqjaxqlca8wt
let me know if there is anything you're unsure of.

korbo, Sep 7, 7:49pm
finally got the recipe, but not sure of weights.
have you rehashed it into cups and spoons. like i have never weighed eggs, 375. would this be normal eggs etc. sounds lovely.will give it a try.thanks so much

deus701, Sep 8, 12:51am
An egg would be around 50-60grams depending on the size. I have always used grams for better accuracy. For example, one cup of white sugar would be around 200g while one cup of brown sugar is 220g. Its justto minimise any risk for failure, as in baking you wont know you screw up until you have baked the cake. Here are two websites you can look it regarding conversion

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/cup-to-gram-conversions/detail.aspx http://rickcooks.com/convert.htm

valentino, Sep 8, 2:11am
Any cake is easy and as cookessentials noted, "Follow the recipe".
Best recipes and the easiest ones are those that have full instructions, where some say for example "Batter" then it will tell you how it looks or should look, likewise "softening Butter", creaming butter and sugar, and so on.

The key is to understand the true meaning of such and when you have spare time, perhaps read up on these wording then any recipe will become simple and easy.

Now try it.

All the best.

Oh, Pam (cookessentials) started a thread "Cooking Class 101" - this could be a starter for you.

Cheers.

Edited to add that This thread is bumped up for you.

marree, Sep 8, 2:28am
In the weekend I made a recipe called 'Bloody Good Chocolate Cake' which I got from here (not sure who originally posted it).It makes a 2 x round tins or large roasting dish full.PLEASE NOTE -I too am normally absolutely useless at baking - this cake turned out like a dream come true - so moist - gobbled up quick too - the coffee gives it that rich darkness and the yoghurt I'm sure the moistness.I have end of year party for my son's rugby league team and that's what I will be making! Thanks also to others who've shared their recipes - it's a bit like a "Julie & Julia' movie going on in my kitchen over the last few months practising all these things & I'm really enjoying.

katalin2, Sep 8, 4:31am
Maybe the temperature was too hot! Or cake was over mixed. Tin size shouldn't make much difference.

jaydan1, Sep 8, 4:47am
Thank-you all for the delicious recipes.I'm looking forward to trying my hand at a few of them. Will post back Saturday and let you know how it turns out. Here's hoping all goes well lol.

korbo, Sep 8, 6:25am
i have to make another cake poster#3.
Had visitors and it is all GONE>
best cake, people have had, they said.

bekspaul, Sep 8, 6:39am
it does raise high and then drops down to the top of the tin (4cms) i've never had a problem with sinking in the middle.was it fully cooked! do you have a really hot oven!sometimes i find it does need a bit more time in the oven so i cover the top with tin foil just in case of burning the top.

deus701, Sep 8, 1:18pm
here you go
http://www.mediafire.com/!srbuqjaxqlca8wt
let me know if there is anything you're unsure of.

bekspaul, Sep 9, 7:31am
So pleased, i get asked for the recipe all the time.its so easy to make too which is great

kinna54, Sep 10, 8:04am
evorotoruas choc yoghurt banana cake!
Still the best around! God bless you evorotorua, this cake is brilliant!
Made it again late last night, (was in a rush due to watching the rugby so this time made it into cup cakes, (25 ) and left out the bananas, yummy.) fantastic! easy peasy. Posting for you.

*Banana Chocolate Yoghurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins.* In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.*

tramore, Sep 11, 4:45am
That sounds yum!May we have the recipe please!

deus701, Sep 11, 5:28am