Anyone had potatoes that when cooked

korbo, Sep 5, 7:25am
are kinda like icy in the middle when cooked.
Bought a bag of Nadine, and a lot of them are hard in the middle.
Also, notice lately,that the fresh carrots,I hand pick at shop, seem to go hard and leathery very quickly.
What has happened to our so called **fresh** vegys.!

cookessentials, Sep 5, 7:30am
Definately take the pootatoes back korobo.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 7:46am
Ooops.Potatoes, but missed the edit option LOL

missmuppett, Sep 5, 8:09am
Yeah, nadines are gross potatoes anyways, I bought some yesterday and we smashed them to have with steak, our usual Sunday dinner, they were YUCK, like all lumpy and hard, even though I whipped them like mad.I don't like Nadine, I'm just going to buy Agria from now on - a little more expensive, but so tasty.I am growing my own Jersey Bennies now too.

kuaka, Sep 5, 8:12am
nadine are absolutely rubbish, they're almost as bad as "vivaldi" and "fianna".Give me the good old Rua any day, or agria if you want to mash.Moonlight for chips.

aragorn2003, Sep 5, 8:23am
lol poo

missmuppett, Sep 5, 8:27am
Agria make mean everything! YUM YUM YUM
Must wean myself off the taties tho. haha

korbo, Sep 5, 8:47am
yes, I remember now, last year bought nadine,and lots of people said they were rubbish. was in a bit of a hurry when buying,and as they were by the door just grabbed them.
agria and rua anyday, also love the red ones from Invercargil. bought them at the blenheim market, they have been the best yet.have no idea what they were called.

kuaka, Sep 5, 8:56am
Red Rascals maybe!or - no, can't remember the name of the other red ones.Is it "desire" !or something like that.

mercury14, Sep 5, 10:08am
Nadine are not a winter potato, they are a waxy new potato and are lovely when freshly dug for use with summer salads and for awesome potato salad. The ones you have got are old as the hills probably, never a mashing/roasting spud.
They sound blurk.

kuaka, Sep 5, 10:49am
Blurk - blerk - sums Nadine up quite nicely actually.

marcs, Sep 5, 10:53am
Nadine potato's are waxy potatoes. That is the only while skin potatoes we get in Western Australia and the cheapest. I refuse to buy them. Instead I buy the Royal Blue which is the closest we get to all purpose potatoes here. The only other variety we get here is Ruby Lou. Could not believe when we first arrived here 4 years ago that WA only offered 3 varities of potatoes. The still do, but sometimes we get to see kiffeler potatoes as well.

barbra1, Sep 5, 11:03am
waxy potatoes for potato salad or boiling whole,Desiree for mashing, yumm.

spot20, Sep 5, 8:48pm
The latest is that spuds are good for lowering blood pressure! eat away!

valentino, Sep 5, 10:36pm
Noticed lately re Potatoes especially from Pak'n'Slave, most of them are virtually bordering on being rubbished.
Also from some veges shops, seems to be very softish or moist, not dried out properly.
What is the heck is going on.
Those so called "Nature Fresh" are (to me anyway) are lucky to be third rated, full of infection in someway but is virtually un-noticeable until one peels them then one continues to peel them until less than a half of potato is left and then some have this very faintish discoloured circle in them.
Is anyone else noticing this.
Same with fresh lettuces, outside looks okay but in the very middle is browned or discoloured, last lot I returned and the shop was not happy, stiff cheese to them.
We should not put up with these third rated potatoes etc. the Aussies are bitching about our apples so why not we bitcxh further on these certain produce.
The only way of ensuring the right ones is to grow them, yeah, but quite a few cannot do this either except in small lots, hmmmm.
Cheers.

kuaka, Sep 5, 10:58pm
valentino - I don't normally shop at New World because we don't have one here, but a while ago we just happened to be near one and popped in for a few things, amongst them a 10kg bag of spuds.They were awful, half of them were unusable, being rotten right through, so next time we were in New World we complained.Well actually we started to complain, but before we could actually tell them that we weren't happy with the spuds we'd bought, they offered to replace them.They said they had had so many complaints about that particular batch, that they were just replacing them.So, it does pay to complain if you have a valid complaint.And I think if you buy a 10kg bag of spuds and end up chucking half of them out because they are rotten, that's a valid complaint.

uli, Sep 5, 11:28pm
This has nothing to do with the type of potato or the method of cooking, it has to do with the moisture content of the potato. If you have a hot, dry summer and the potato fields are not well irrigated the moisture content of the potato will suffer. You will have hard glassy lumps in the cooked potato.

The other problem that can occur is that the potatoes got too cold in storage. This will also make for glassy hard tubers when cooked later.

Nadine is a lovely waxy potato if grown in good soil - I used to grow them myself - and they are perfect for potato salads or steamed potatoes with butter.

beaker59, Sep 6, 12:39am
I like to mix it up a bit with Potatoes and buy whats best at the time currently onto a good source of agria's so using those and playing with roasting those a bit also plenty of mash. If you get too tied up with only using one variety then you miss out on allot of high quality produce.