Alternative: halibut, and Italian sausage!

sumstyle, Sep 4, 9:47am
Maybe it's a northern hemishere fish as I can't recall seeing it on sale.

The other recipe ingredient is Italian sausage, which I have googled and NZ websites refer to it, but I'm not sure what I am looking for - regular sausage section, or in the small goods area with the salami!

I'd be pleased to get your help and suggestions.

kuaka, Sep 4, 10:38am
I've just looked in the old recipe book that my gran gave me when I was a kid (in the UK) and halibut looks to be a flat fish with both eyes on the top of it's head, a bit like plaice or flounder.Sorry, can't be more help, and can't help you with the sausage query.

nfh1, Sep 4, 10:55am
Halibut is usually the fish used in Fish and Chip Shops in the UK, it is like cod, fatter than plaice and has more flavour.Italian sausage to me is a spicy pork sausage, usually very lean with little fat.

sumstyle, Sep 4, 7:26pm
Ok, thanks you two that gives me a bit more to go on.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 9:45pm
Haddock and chips! was what we used to have in England, you cant beat it. You can substitute Halibut with cod.

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 11:37pm
Halibut is very large, thus the filets can be quick thick like cod. However, the closest in New Zealand would be Turbot, which is larger than Flounder/Sole and exceptionally delicious. Turbot is sourced from the West Coast of the South Island.

sumstyle, Sep 7, 10:43am
I stared fixedly at the fish on offer at the fish monger today and came away with monk fish as it had the thickest fillets, but it's a pretty strong flavour (had some in a stir fry tonight).Hopefully that means the fish can still be tasted through the cajun spices I'm going to throw at it tomorrow.

Thanks for all your input.