Italian Ragout ~ Davidt4 - pleeease!!

darlingmole, Dec 16, 3:40am
You posted this recipe a little while ago - includes pork mince, bacon, cream, wine, chicken livers etc - and have tried to find it again from using the "keyword" finder to our left but without sucess. My husband has been working away for about 6-7 weeks and returning tonight so wanted to make it for his dinner as he adores it. If you could post it again I'd really appreciate it (or if any more "on to it" posters copied it down I'd love to have it please! )

Many thanks ...

davidt4, Dec 16, 4:13am
Oh Lord - I think it was a link that I gave, rather than a recipe. I've had a quick look and here's one VERY detailed recipe for the same thing:

http://fxcuisine.com/Default. asp? Display=150

I'll look further and see what else I can track down.

davidt4, Dec 16, 4:18am
Here's a less wordy recipe:

Ingredients:

* 4 cups beef broth
* 2 tbsp. tomato paste
* 1 cup milk
* 3 whole cloves
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
* 1 2-oz. piece of pancetta, finely chopped
* 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
* 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
* 1 medium size yellow onion, finely chopped
* 3/4 lb. ground beef chuck
* 1/4 lb. ground pork shoulder (I used regular ground pork)
* 1 cup dry white wine
* 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
* 2 chicken livers (about 2 oz. )

What to do:

1. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Put tomato paste into a small bowl and pour in 1 cup broth; stir to dissolve. Set tomato-infused broth aside (Keep remaining broth hot. )
2. In another saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium heat. Add cloves, remove from heat and let steep, covered, for one hour.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and cook until fat has rendered, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, celery and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and caramelized (about 30 minutes). Stir in beef and pork, cook, breaking meat apart with wooden spoon, until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and add wine and cook until wine is evaporated.
4. Lower heat to mediu, stir in nutmeg, and reserved tomato broth and cook, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
5. Lower heat to medium, low and add 1/2 cup reserved hot broth and cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Repeat 1/2 cup at a time until all broth has been used (kind of like risotto) – this can take some time. ***NOTE: Although this may seem very time consuming, don’t take it too seriously. You can walk away and do other things during this ‘liquid absorbing’ part. Don’t go stir crazy – this does not have to be perfect!
6. Add chicken livers to the sauce and cook for 8 minutes until soft. Using a fork, mash livers on the side of the pot (or remove and do it on a plate) with a tablespoon into the sauce. Add the milk and simmer until thick and velvety – another 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with pasta.

darlingmole, Dec 16, 4:23am
ohhhh david~! thank you so incredibley much! You're an absolute darling and gem in my books (and always an endless bank of culinary knowledge and expertise). My husband will be well pleased. Thank you again :-D

griffo4, Dec 16, 8:31pm
davidt4 l copied a bolognese recipe from another site called globalgourmet and it had chicken livers in it and l am going to make that and now l have another recipe to try, l am a convert to chicken livers, lol.
Thank you for being so generous with your recipes and advice l always read any posts from you as they always have good advice, please keep contributing and hope you have a lovely Christmas and also darlingmole,

indy95, Feb 18, 10:07pm
Bumping for the poster who wanted a good ragu recipe.