Tinned asparagus question!

Page 1 / 3
wasala, Sep 4, 7:23am
I know this is weird but I have found that suddenly none of my local supermarkets stock tinned asparagus anymore. I'm sure I'm not imagining this, I have hunted high and low. Does anyone have intelligence on this very desperate situation!

dbab, Sep 4, 7:26am
According to a notice in our supermarket,they have had some very poor crops recently, so the asparagus haven't been available

wasala, Sep 4, 7:30am
Thank you. That's very interesting. I haven't seen any notices at mine, but this does make sense. I might contact Watties directly and get their take on it!

justme27, Sep 4, 7:36am
I had this exact problem just this morning, had planned to make asparagus rolls for a family get-together, I shot into Countdown - zilch, went to our trusty Pak'n'save and found 3 glass jars of it, bottled in spring water and made in Auckland with the Delish name. Jars have a green lid.good luck :)

eastie3, Sep 4, 7:39am
It's horrible,watery,stringy stuff,don't use it for asparagus rolls,I found that out the hard way.

justme27, Sep 4, 7:39am
Hubby is a keen fan of asparagus rolls (I don't like it) and said these ones tasted just like the Watties ones that I normally use.cost $3.64 for about 360+grams.

justme27, Sep 4, 7:42am
Oops, crossed in the post eastie3, the rolls all disappeared fast with compliments given, I drained the asparagus well and the ones I got were mostly very fat with only a few being skinnier.

justme27, Sep 4, 7:45am
Thanks for the warning eastie, will keep an eye on what's in the jars if I need to use this brand again :)

wasala, Sep 4, 7:47am
I love tinned asparagus so much that when I was a student 25 years ago my friends used to buy me a tin for my birthday each year (I could afford the pieces, but they bought the spears!)
I have a very limited diet as the result of major surgery 9 times over the last few years and this is a small, but easy-to-digest treat that I'm really missing!

auburn4, Sep 4, 9:12am
There hasn't been any asparagus in my supermarket for over three months and that's when I first noticed. I have one jealously guarded tin left ,hidden from hungry family.
What they don't know about they can't munch on.

kuaka, Sep 4, 9:20am
yes I had planned to do asparagus rolls a few weeks ago for one part of an afternoon tea (usually provide two different things) and suddenly discovered there were no tinned asparagus around.The four square shop had tinned pieces, which I bought, but they weren't good enough to use for guests, so hubby and I had them.I have since seen the jars of Delish and thought they looked revolting and didn't buy any.

kcc55a, Sep 4, 9:35am
Delish isnt that the brand name for Peanut butter made in an asian country! Was that the one found to havethe same chemicals as antifreeze in it! Or am I doing Delish a really bad service!

glenleigh, Sep 4, 9:42am
Tried to buy some last week but none on the shelves, no notice though.Anyway, today cleaned out pantry and found two tins.

auburn4, Sep 4, 9:49am
Just had a thought, with any luck I may have a tin or two in my earthquake food box. It's about time I checked the contents.

korbo, Sep 4, 10:03am
I know this might sound terribly awful, but many years ago, i cooked lunch for an elderly craft centre.
As we were on a budget, aspargus were too expensive, and one lady came up with this.
buy tinned peas, drain, mash well,and mix with a nice tasty mayonaise, and black pepper and roll up like asp.rolls.
we did it, and never looked back.
many a family gathering people have gobbled them up.

yjeva, Sep 4, 10:11am
I have had no problems at all with the Delish brand.

dreamers, Sep 4, 8:50pm
buy tinned peas, drain, mash well,and mix with a nice tasty mayonaise, and black pepper and roll up like asp.rolLS
i have been to a Hospice fund raiser and they had club sandwiches made like that.they were delicious,though i was told they were frozen peas.

kiwitrish, Sep 4, 9:07pm
What a great idea.Will certainly give that a try.Thanks.

pericles, Sep 4, 9:11pm
found some last week in the supermarket, first time in about 3 mths

jbsouthland, Sep 4, 9:17pm
.it sounds delish too.abit like the mock chicken filling my parents would make for a spread.

griffo4, Sep 4, 9:52pm
They haven't been here for months l was told it was because of the floods but the peas recipe sounds so good it will be worth a try
Thanks korbo

korbo, Sep 4, 10:28pm
mmmm, now what is in the mock chicken recipe. i just have forgotten, but sure my mum used to make it.
please can we have the recipe.

herself, Sep 5, 12:05am
Mock Chicken - Edmonds Cookery Book 1959
1 medium sized Onion
Little Butter
1 Small Tomato
1 tsp Mixed Herbs
Pepper and Salt
1 Egg
Chop onion finely and cook in a little butter, but do not brown.Add skinned and sliced tomato, mixed herbs, seasonings and beaten egg.Cook slowly until mixture thickens.Pile on cheese or water biscuits and garnish with parsley.

I've never made it so can't tell you how it tastes!:-)

samboy, Sep 5, 12:47am
I found some tinned asparagus in supermarket but it was really expensive, about $5.I commented to the checkout lady and she said that the price goes down when its in season and more freely available.

frances1266, Sep 5, 2:50am
I used to make the mock chicken, it is really nice.