Tinned asparagus question!

Page 2 / 3
wheelz, Sep 5, 5:31am
got 3 tins in my cupboard. think it be worth to auction them!

wasala, Sep 5, 5:46am
Well, I rang Watties today and yes, they've had a shocking season but are hoping for a better one this year, and will hopefully begin canning asparagus again next month!

korbo, Sep 5, 7:20am
well, mock chick, not quite what I thought it would be
.will try it and see how it tastes. wonder how it got its name.

whiskey13, Sep 5, 10:12am
Mock whitebait patties are made with grated potato.
I grow my own asparagus BUT i always have the tinned stuff in cupboard for asp.rolls Yum.

pickles7, Sep 5, 9:30pm
I am going to put some into jars this year. I will use tall jam jars and process them in the pressure cooker. Just 10 jars, will be enough for a year.
We had heaps of asparagus on the local market, last year.

nala2, Sep 5, 10:06pm
Well that explains a lot .Last week the person in front of me at the Carterton NW had about 20 cans of it and nothing else.

pickles7, Sep 5, 10:15pm
lol .nala2. are they selling it on trade me!

christin, Sep 15, 5:15am
i went looking for asparagus today. everyone working at the supermarket siad it should be there, but none.(bar some white ones inaglass jar).i wanted to make asparagus and spinach soup!

got some from the garage :-)some customer at the supermarket said shed tried four supermarkets and said id be lucky to find some!

daze7, Sep 30, 1:26am
Shock,horror.I went looking today too.The lady at checkout said they're not producing them anymore.Surely brands other than Watties could be available.What are we going to do!.Lol

pericles, Sep 30, 1:45am
got some from countdown yesterday, had never seen the brand (Delish) before

griffo4, Sep 30, 3:37am
pickles would you be kind enough to share your recipe with us please

kuaka, Sep 30, 7:58am
Daze - I'm sure it's only temporary, I expect they will start canning again once the asparagus is back in season.You don't believe everything the checkout operators tell you, just like you don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

pickles7, Sep 30, 8:20am
I have pickled asparagus before, wouldn't do it again.
I would use the method, on this link. I prefer to be safe, the use of lemon juice, clinched that recipe, for me.
I have not used that recipe, yet.
http://www.asparagus-friends.com/asparagus-recipes/recipe-show-000040.html

duckmoon, Oct 1, 12:47am
I agree with your comment about peas;

personally, I get frozen peas and cook them.

I haven't used them in rolls, but my cheapest club sandwich is cooked peas, with lots of butter - purreeed (in the food processor) on one slice, and luncheon with chutney - pureed (in the food processor) on the other slice

rasin11, Oct 1, 3:35am
I managed to find some the other day for asparagus rolls and the ends were so woody I was disgusted.

davidt4, Oct 1, 3:40am
I may be missing something, but why not use fresh asparagus and overcook it so that it goes khaki and soggy like tinned asparagus!

kuaka, Oct 1, 3:47am
fresh asparagus isn't available here yet at least not at our local supermarket.I was there yesterday and there wasn't any.Not in season yet.

uli, Oct 1, 4:13am
It is in my garden - thank god . so I do not have to buy any tinned stuff :)

pickles7, Oct 1, 4:25am
I have not seen any asparagus in our shops in Hastings yet.

uli, Oct 1, 4:26am
So Hastings must be further south than Northland!

pickles7, Oct 1, 5:46am
could be .uli.Won't be that far away, they have started to pick, probably a little light, yet.Our son used to work on an orchard that did not pick, there crop, free asparagus, for the taking. I think that orchard has been replanted with trees now.

davidt4, Oct 2, 3:40am
I may be missing something, but why not use fresh asparagus and overcook it so that it goes khaki and soggy like tinned asparagus!

Or even not overcook it and have it green and tender!

griffo4, Oct 2, 6:41am
Thanks pickles for that recipe l will look at it when it is in season and cheap in the shops
We are eating our few tips that have come up so far

kuaka, Oct 2, 8:47am
Really - you do surprise me!

slikchik, Oct 2, 9:11am
started picking mine from garden.