Best priced quality instant coffee!

stefan123, Sep 2, 3:16am
I don't want to get back into being a big coffee drinker. But I like to have a cappuccino a day. I've been buying those cappuccino sachets in a box from the supermarket when they're on special. However, they're still not cheap. So I'm going to have a go at making my owncappuccino mix.

Know little about coffee. Does anyone know what's the cheapest way to buy quality instant coffee! Also, how long does it keep!

ibcreative, Sep 2, 3:34am
If you want quality instant coffee you need to buy Moccona, Robert Harris or Nescafe Gold or similar. It is worth stocking up when they're on special. Don't buy the cheaper brands as you do get what you pay for IMO.

stefan123, Sep 2, 3:41am
thanks ib.

elliehen, Sep 2, 4:17am
From a website:

To prepare the following coffee recipes: mix in food processor or blender until you have a fine powder.

For all the coffee recipes except the cafe' au lait, use 1 to 2 spoonfuls to one mug of hot water (to desired taste)

BAVARIAN MINT

2/3 cup instant coffee
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves , finely crushed
2/3 cup nondairy creamer

CAFE' L'ORANGE

2/3 cup instant coffee
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dried crushed orange peel
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

CAFE' MOCHA

2/3 cup instant coffee
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup nondairy creamer
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk

CINNAMON-N-SPICE

2/3 cup instant coffee
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice

TOFFEE COFFEE

1 cup instant coffee
1 cup nondairy creamer
1 cup brown sugar

CAFE' VIENNA

1 cup instant coffee
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon

CAFE' ORANGE CAPPUCCINO

1 cup instant coffee
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon dry orange peel

SWISS MOCHA

1 cup instant coffee
1 cup sugar
2 cups nonfat dry milk
4 teaspoon cocoa powder

CAFE' VIENNA MIX

1 cup instant coffee
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups nondairy creamer
1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk
4 Tablespoons cocoa

CAFE' AU LAIT

1 11 oz jar nondairy creamer
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup instant coffee
dash of salt
(use 1/4 cup mix to 2/3 cup hot water for the cafe' au lait)

NIGHT CAP COFFEE

2/3 cup nondairy powdered coffee creamer
1/3 cup instant coffee
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Use one heaping Tablespoon to 1 cup hot water.

CHOCOLATE MALT COFFEE CREAMER

2 cups instant hot cocoa mix
2/3 cup nondairy powdered coffee creamer
2/3 cup malted milk mix
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

ibcreative, Sep 2, 4:30am
Wow Elliehen - thank you. That will be so handy!

malcovy, Sep 2, 5:03am
I personally would steer clear of Moccona, Robert Harris and Greggs as the taste and smell is foul especially for the price you pay for Moccona.Nescafe is alright as well as International Roast.I have given away Moccona and Robert Harris.I worked in an award winning cafe that was known for the best coffee.

stefan123, Sep 2, 6:16am
Thanks for the info and opionions. That list of recipes is great.

whiskey13, Sep 2, 8:01am
Where do your tastebuds live
Maccona is a very nice coffee, i always buy it. Each to their own i guess.
OP, it maybe a case of buying certain coffees when their on special to see which one "works" for you

kiwigoldie, Sep 2, 8:10am
i like moccona, robert harris but not screaming turtle.it seems bitter.

kuaka, Sep 2, 8:16am
Of course, which brand you like is totally a personal preference.I'm a bit puzzled about the above post, as I find Moccona, Robert Harris and Nescafe Gold very similar, and very drinkable but Greggs is awful.In fact, I'm reminded of the time a few years back when I was silly enough to purchase a packet of Greggs, and found it so awful I complained about it, and was sent two replacements packs for my trouble.(Mind you, I am really a tea-drinker and only usually have one cup of coffee around midday - the rest of the time it's Dilmah for me)

firemansgirl, Sep 2, 9:07am
Yup Greggs and Special Blend, look like coffee, SMELL like coffee, but clearly never intended for consumption. just my opinion of course.

cookessentials, Sep 2, 9:37am
I cant handle instant coffee any more. Why not buy a 2 cup plunger and buy ground coffee! At least you know it's pure coffee

elliehen, Sep 2, 10:14am
.or a two-cup espresso pot.

lofty010247, Sep 2, 10:30am
Home Brand Freeze Dried coffee is good and reasonabky priced. Comes in 100g Jar

cgvl, Sep 2, 11:08am
nescafe here or gravity plunger or Havoc plunger. I will use Bushells and Greggs at a pinch. But none of the others, rather drink water.
Nescafe used to do some nice ones in the jar . nearest is the Gold range.
It is really personal preference. I love the Swiss style coffee by Jarrah but it is far too sweet for me, I drink tea, coffee and cocoa without sugar so find anything pre sweetened sickly.

auburn4, Sep 2, 11:20am
I've swapped over to Screaming Turtle brand of coffee, great taste and price and two choices of strength.

kuaka, Sep 2, 12:20pm
I've never heard of "screaming turtle".Is it generally available or just at specialty shops!

cookessentials, Sep 2, 8:09pm
Screaming Turtle is great coffee ( well, the beans or ready ground anyway)

jensone1, Sep 2, 9:13pm
I agree, good coffee at a reasonable price

leonie11, Sep 3, 5:30am
elliehen what is a non dairy creamer! thanks

deus701, Sep 3, 6:17am
i think its coffee mate or coffee whitener. I checked the label, it has sodium caseinate from milk. so not too sure

elliehen, Sep 3, 7:46am
leonie11, I think it's the US name for Coffee Mate, as deus701 suggests.

Unless you're trying to avoid dairy products, I can't see why instant powdered milk would not be a good substitute.

kuaka, Sep 3, 8:02am
Coffee mate or the other brands out there are different to instant powdered milk, they are more creamy rather than milky.The one I use is "koffiecreamer" from Holland, and amongst the ingredients listed is "milk-protein".It doesn't mention cream specifically but it definitely doesn't taste like powdered milk.It's probably all the other junk it's got in it that gives it the flavour.