Dog Treats

thor13, Aug 28, 8:14am
I am looking for recipes for dog treats using lamb liver, kidneys etc.
Need something that is going to get my 10 month old Boxer's attention

frances1266, Aug 28, 11:54am
Dont know about the meat treats but was reading recently about someone who sliced kumera and dried it in their oven until it was chewy and it was well received by their dog.Have you bought your dog a Kong toy.You fill it with dried biscuits and the dogs spend ages getting them out,My dog loves his Kong filled with peanut butter, you can put biscuits in as well into the peanut butter.

dansac, Aug 29, 2:45am
thor13 I mince up or mulch up in the blender, any offal, add eggs, cornmeal, couscous made with chicken stock, a bit of garlic, bran flakes, and just mix up until I get a meat loaf type consistency, spread it out in the roasting dish and slow cook, 130, until it has dryed out, this cooking time varies depending what is in the mix.
When cold I cut this up into fingernail sized bits and pop into small zip lock bags, and freeze.
I have half the neighbourhood dogs sniffing my pockets, they seem to like it, and on the plus side if you get lost in the bush you could actually eat it yourself!

chef42, Aug 29, 4:06am
i feed my dog a mixture of meat/rice/vegetable/boiled chicken bone offal(minced) end result home made dog roll

boxsters3, Sep 6, 7:04am
500gms liver (ox, sheep, pig)
4 eggs
1 cup wheatgerm
1 cup wholemeal flour
LOTS of garlic

Cut liver up reasonably small and reduce in Kitchen Whiz to a smooth paste.
Add eggs, wheatgerm and flour and the garlic and whizz some more until really smooth and mixed well.

Spread thinly (about 5mm) on the bottom of an oiled oven dish and bake in oven at 180C for about 20 minutes.

Take out allow to cool then remove from dish and cut into your small treat size squares. Pack in small freezer bags and freeze!
The pieces come out firm and stay that way and are easy to handle.

Or use 1/2 cup of cheese instead of the wheatgerm, may have to increase the wholemeal flour a bit.

(does pong when being cooked.)

boxsters3, Sep 7, 7:04am
500gms liver (chicken, ox, sheep, pig)
4 eggs
1 cup wheatgerm
1 cup wholemeal flour
LOTS of garlic

Cut liver up reasonably small and reduce in Kitchen Whiz to a smooth paste.
Add eggs, wheatgerm and flour and the garlic and whizz some more until really smooth and mixed well.

Spread thinly (about 5mm) on the bottom of an oiled oven dish and bake in oven at 180C for about 20 minutes.

Take out allow to cool then remove from dish and cut into your small treat size squares. Pack in small freezer bags and freeze!
The pieces come out firm and stay that way and are easy to handle.

Or use 1/2 cup of cheese instead of the wheatgerm, may have to increase the wholemeal flour a bit.

(does pong when being cooked.)

millna, Sep 7, 10:07pm
let them lick you face after eating an ice-cream

skootaskid, Sep 8, 8:02am
yup yup yup

I can second how awesomely yummy this one is!well my wee red heeler loves this too.

jills3, Sep 8, 10:11pm
I bought my friend a dehydrator so she could dry bits of meat for her dog,friend very happy with dehyrdrator and so is dog.

dezzie, Sep 8, 10:26pm
I used to just get a big hunk of beef liver, boil it, then cut into about 2 cm cubes, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a slow oven until they were crispy.

beaker59, Sep 8, 10:49pm
Buy a pack of free flow pilchards from the bait shop cut them in half if they are big or the dog is small.Give the dog one a day every day (frozen is fine) they love them and it does wonders for thier health particularly if they have skin or fur issues.

breena, Sep 11, 9:01am
\

Sounds great . could you pleeease post what the amounts are for the ingredients please.I want to try it . TIA

thor13, Aug 28, 8:14am
I am looking for recipes for dog treats using lamb liver, kidneys etc.
Need something that is going to get my 10 month old Boxer's attention