CHICKEN.THESE DAYS IT'S TASTELESS

autocars1, Aug 27, 7:30am
Have you noticed the chicken doesn't taste like chicken flavour anymore.it's very bland. I've tried all sorts of things to jazz it up.but it's like cardboard.no taste at all! Maybe it's the battery chickens I getting.normal run of the mill Tegal etc. I am starting to go off it altogether. Have you noticed it lately.!

cookessentials, Aug 27, 7:33am
I prefer organic chicken, it is far tastier.

shop-a-holic, Aug 27, 9:18am
Stop buying Tegal ;-)
Organic is the only way to go. High Five cookessential.

fifie, Aug 27, 9:20am
Agree tegal chicken is crap.

radark, Aug 27, 8:10pm
i like the cornfed ones.not sure if they're organic or not

katalin2, Aug 27, 8:22pm
The cornfed ones are not organic but free range- they are the ones I like too as they are more affordable. But even they are twice the price of a similar sized chicken so for a lot of families it is still not an option. When I buy ordinary chicken breasts of special I make sure I use plenty of herbs and spices- such as thai chicken curry or chicken teriyaki or chicken paprika. I always do enough for 2 meals and they are far more tasty the second night.

davidt4, Aug 27, 9:56pm
There's your answer.Buy free range.Our New World has recently begun to stock 1 kg bags of fresh free range thighs (also wings) and they retail for $9.99, sometimes on special at $6.99.That's 6 large meaty thighs, which is enough for four people.

survivorr, Aug 27, 10:21pm
Well I'm pleased you posted this because I've been wondering if I'm doing something 'wrong' with chicken - simply because it's so tasteless.I've tried different marinades lately to see if that helped.It didn't occur to me (duh) to buy organic chickens.I will not be buying anything else from now on.Off to New World today to see if they have them.Am sure they will.

wasgonna, Aug 27, 11:41pm
Yep noticed the same with taste. Could never understand why Tegel and then Inghams started to inject the meat with some sort of slime and calling it tender basting. Its a hideous flavour. Probably just increasing the weight for higher profits.
Cornfed are great when can afford but organic are out of my league. Doubt if most organic are really that anyway.

motorbo, Aug 28, 12:57am
you cannot sell anything as organic unless it is.so i would suggest they are

maryteatowel1, Aug 28, 1:48am
.personally i can't taste the difference between organic or other processed fowl.to me they all are pretty bland and tasteless.not too dissimilar to tofu!.we grow our own chookens, ducks, turkey and guinea fowl now.you can actually taste something.and they are not full of water!

robbo777, Aug 28, 4:52am
Yes totally bland. Even our cats refused to eat it when we cooked chicken. Now that we have changed to free range the cats are on the dinner table trying to get some! It is more expensive to buy but I pad it out more with lots of different vegetables, stuffing balls, bread etc to make the meal more cost efficient.

cookessentials, Aug 28, 5:17am
The other thing you can do is to buy the boneless,skinless thighs.they are far more tender and tastier than the breasts. I used to buy them years ago, before they became popular and they very very cheap in comparison with the breasts. You can often get a large tray with 7-8 for about $12-$13. I use these for my Mediterranean chickne dish along with tomatoes, green and black olives and caperberries.

mothergoose_nz, Aug 28, 7:31am
the chickens you buy to eat are now grown in a very short time.not long enough to develop flavour.their food must be all the same.nothing with any flavour.

meadze1, Aug 28, 6:07pm
Go to a dutch shop and buy a seasoning called Kip Kruidenmix.It is the best thing I have enver found for chicken and i put it on/in EVERY chicken dish.It goes a long way and you can use it on pork as well.Adds lovely depth to butter chicken/curries/stirfry etc etc. Not to mention a lovely colour for your chicken dishes.