HELP ive killed the marmalade its SO bitter!

jamiemew, Aug 25, 12:47am
ok so i followed the recipe to a T. i scraped off all the pith white stuff and threw it out. recipe said to use the rind so did. but have just tasted it and EWWWW! has a nasty bitter tang to it. is this normal! ive never eaten or made it before lol i have added extra sugar and slightly better but i still wouldnt eat it. can i save it somehow! ive made a huge pot full and hate to tip it down the sink!

beaker59, Aug 25, 1:02am
Is this the carrot one you were talking about!

Add extra sugar is all you can do I guess, otherwise put into jars and give it as christmas gifts to everyone you know who likes marmalade. To get the real taste you have to try it on toast though too.

jamiemew, Aug 25, 1:13am
no thecarrot one i made last night, it set really well, and tastes GREAT. this one i tried is grapefruit, lemon and orange. i took all the pith off and yeah still really bitter! it is tasting better tho ive added about a cup of honey lol and 2 extra cups of sugar :s

jamiemew, Aug 25, 1:15am
beaker ive also posted the recipe for the carrot marmalade in the other thread

buzzy110, Aug 25, 2:45am
I'm not sure why you would scrap the pith off. All the marmalade I've ever made used the whole fruit, pips excluded, and mine is always delicious. In fact I now take one recipe, use the exact amount of sugar and water and just use a whole bucket of fruit, because I have so much fruit and hate using all that sugar, and the intense citrus flavour of the marmalade makes it even more delicious.

As an aside, people have been making marmalade with all the pith for well over a century and up to now, no one has thought to alter recipes to exclude it.

beaker59, Aug 25, 4:55am
I agree about the pith Buzzy certainly I use the whole fruit. The variety and ripeness have the biggest influence on bitterness in Marmalade currently I am using the neighbours fruit (2 batches this week) which are bright orange and sweet and ripe though definately grapefruit so who knows. Personally I find people have all sorts of tastes and ideas many don't agree with mine though not necesarily wrong.

I also add very little water to mine and not allot of sugar so its very intense fruit flavoured which I like, also very chunky :)

tigerlilly16, Aug 25, 6:09am
Marmalade is meant to have a bitter 'tang' to it it is not just sweet like jam, so maybe it just tastes strange to you because you've never tried it before. Try a bit spread thinly on buttered toast, and if you still don't like it, then i agree with the suggestion of giving it away to friends who like marmalade, although you may have made it too sweet and sickly now for true marmalade fans lol. :)

jamiemew, Aug 25, 7:53am
yeah more than likely i have made it too sweet lol oh well i only wasted a bag of sugar and the fruit but then my friend has PLENTY more of that lol

thanks for the advice.
i had read many websites that suggest removing the pith just so its not as bitter! oh well you learn something new every day ;)
at least my carrot one turned out GREAT lol

kuaka, Aug 25, 10:40am
If you've used grapefruits which aren't completely ripe then they will be bitter/sour (as my old mother-in-law used to say - so sharp they'd draw your ar*e up to your elbows!) and will probably still taste bitter with heaps more sugar added.I like things a bit "sharp" but occasionally I've had a grapefruit so sharp that I haven't been able to eat it.Try it on toast before you decide what to do with it.Give it to friends rather than throw it out.Better still, ask a friend who does like marmalade to sample it.

katienz11, Aug 26, 11:15pm
I really like the bitterness of marmalade - maybe its tasting like it should but youre just not used to it!Test it out on a marmalade liker before biffing it out just in case its actually fine.

elliehen, Aug 27, 6:18am
Rose's bought marmalade with the bitter tang is called 'English Breakfast' and the sweeter variety is 'Sweet Orange'.

As katienz11 says, you'll probably find a true marmalade fan likes it tangier.

the_bubba, Aug 28, 4:39am
My favourite marmalade is the Bitter one lol

lilyfield, Aug 28, 5:44am
love it bitter