Porcelain vs ceramic

mousetrapp, Aug 23, 10:41pm
I've just ordered and received a dish from an online store. Website says "Made of porcelain" but goods state "first quality ceramic". Whats the difference between the two - if any! I thought porcelain was a type of ceramic, and I thought porcelain was more 'fine'. I feel mislead, but then again I don't know if there is a difference. Any links would be great as I can't find any. TIA

cookessentials, Aug 23, 10:54pm
I would say that the dish is ceramic which is usually used for cookware.porcelain is alot finer and kaolin is used in porcelain giving it a very fine structure.usually used in dinnerware and coffe and tea cups.
Some people get confused about the two and I am sure they would not deliberately mislead you, they may be going off a manufacturersor distributors description. Is it indeed a dish for cooking, such as a casserole or baking dish!

mousetrapp, Aug 23, 11:14pm
Thanks cookessentials. They are servingware - platters - and I was expecting them to be finer and lighter. They were also advertised as Maxwell & Williams but are Casa Domani!They where only cheap, but still its disappointing to get something other than what I expected. I'll keep them anyway and email the shop. Thanks again

cookessentials, Aug 24, 2:24am
Mmmm, Maxwell & Williams certainly are not porcelain.the shop obviously does not know the difference.