Instant couscous

novices, Aug 17, 10:24pm
Which is the best brand to buy!Several brands I have bought have left grains clumped together.Also best ratio of water to grain please

245sam, Aug 17, 10:44pm
novices, although I have bought and successfully used San Remo couscous I'm not really sure if the brand makes any real difference to the end result and I now always buy couscous from Bin Inn so I don't actually know what brand the couscous is.
Of more importance to the end result IMO is the amount of liquid used and as a general rule I use equal quantities of the base liquid (water or stock) and couscous, remembering that to be flavoursome couscous needs and is very receptive to the addition of almost any flavour that is added to it.Here is a Jo Seagar recipe that you might like to try.

LEMON COUSCOUS
grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup well-flavoured chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 packed cup couscous
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or coriander
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
salt to taste (see note below)

Bring to the boil the chicken stock, olive oil and lemon juice.Remove from the heat and add the couscous.Stir briefly, then cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid.
Toss with a fork then add and fork through the lemon zest, parsley or coriander, lemon pepper seasoning, lemon zest and salt to taste.
Serve warm or cold - (can be easily reheated in the microwave).
Serves 4–6.
Notes:Salt will probably not be necessary if instant stock powder has been used.

Hope that helps.:-))

sarahb5, Aug 18, 12:08am
I just pour over enough boiling water or chicken stock to cover the amount of cous cous I want - cover with a lid or plate, leave it for 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and then fluff it with a fork

245sam, Aug 18, 10:44pm
novices, although I have bought and successfully used San Remo couscous I'm not really sure if the brand makes any real difference to the end result and I now always buy couscous from Bin Inn so I don't actually know what brand the couscous is.
Of more importance to the end result IMO is the amount of liquid used and as a general rule I use equal quantities of the base liquid (water or stock) and couscous, remembering that to be flavoursome couscous needs and is very receptive to the addition of almost any flavour that is added to it.Here is a Jo Seagar recipe that you might like to try.

LEMON COUSCOUS
grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup well-flavoured chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 packed cup couscous
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or coriander
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
salt to taste (see note below)

Bring to the boil the chicken stock, olive oil and lemon juice.Remove from the heat and add the couscous.Stir briefly, then cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid.
Toss with a fork then add and fork through the lemon zest, parsley or coriander, lemon pepper seasoning, lemon zest and salt to taste.
Serve warm or cold - (can be easily reheated in the microwave).
Serves 4–6.
Notes:Salt will probably not be necessary if instant stock powder has been used.

Hope that helps.:-))

cookessentials, Aug 19, 3:10am
I Buy the Israeli one, it is much larger. Boil jug.couscous into saucepan,add water and simmer.