SUREBAKE YEAST EXP 26/11/2011 NOT WORKING

northtrader, Aug 16, 11:54pm
Just made a second loaf (breadmaker) this week with a new container of Edmonds Surebake Yeast expiry 26/11/2011 bought from the Supermarket the day before.Neither loaf rose very much at all.Went out and bought Tasti yeast for breadmakers and it rose perfectly.Anyone else finding Edmonds Surebake Yeast exp 26/11/2011 is not performing as it should.Have been making breadmaker bread for years but have never had a loaf not rise before.

korbo, Aug 17, 12:22am
Interesting, I usually use the tasti one, but bought the red lid one last week, made a loaf yesterday and it has to be the best i have made for
months.
It says once opened to store in fridge, who does, and why do we have to do it.
nthtrader, was it the red lid you used.

sarahb., Aug 17, 1:34am
Hi Korbo, yes it was the red lid. What appears on the back of your container under Best Before!Mine says 26/11/2011B 09:12

susieq9, Aug 17, 2:42am
Have you checked the date of the flour. Could also be that.

asue, Aug 17, 4:46am
Ive been using boiling water out of the jug to my bread this week and that is activating my out of date yeast! (ran out in June) cold weather and dampness affects the yeast too.

hazedaze, Aug 17, 4:52am
Maybe just habit, but even though I'm running low on yeast, I still tend to shake the container to mix all the 'bits' together.Does this do any good!

buzzy110, Aug 17, 5:03am
Because yeast is a living organism. It needs to be kept inert or it will remain active and die from lack of food. Surely the best thing to do is to mix your yeast into a sponge with a little flour and warm water - even some sugar, (this is yeast food) and wait for it to wake up and start reproducing - i.e. making the sponge frothy, before throwing it into the breadmaker.

Btw. temperatures that are too hot will kill it and if the temperature is not hot enough (28dC) it will take a long time to start reproducing which is why I'd 'start' it first so that it is already active when it goes into the breadmaker.

spider47, Aug 17, 11:44am
There is a free number to phone on the bottle.They will tell you how to do a test to see if it is active.If not, phone them back and they will send a voucher for a new bottle. Hope this helps.

sarahb., Aug 18, 1:34am
Hi Korbo, yes mine is the red lid one. What appears on the back of your container under Best Before!Mine says 26/11/2011B 09:12

hazedaze, Aug 18, 4:52am
Maybe just habit, but even though I'm running low on yeast, I still tend to shake the container to mix all the 'bits' together.Does this do any good!

buzzy110, Aug 18, 5:03am
Because yeast is a living organism. It needs to be kept inert or it will remain active and die from lack of food. Surely the best thing to do is to mix your yeast into a sponge with a little flour and warm water - even some sugar, (this is yeast food) and wait for it to wake up and start reproducing - i.e. making the sponge frothy, before throwing it into the breadmaker.

Btw. temperatures that are too hot will kill it and if the temperature is not hot enough (28dC) it will take a long time to start reproducing which is why I'd 'start' it first so that it is already active when it goes into the breadmaker.