Am tired of my cakes burning on the sides.

survivorr, Aug 14, 5:28am
I've turned the temperature down . i've lined all four sides with baking paper . and still they burn.All the tins I use are black and I really wonder if that's got something to do with it.I feel it has.Can you buy any other colour these days!Going to have a look around this week.

davidt4, Aug 14, 5:56am
You might need to check your oven temperature.Most cake tins are black or silver, and I don't think the colour would make any significant difference in this context.

agnes8, Aug 14, 6:01am
Fruit cakes especially are prone because of the sugar from the fruitso keep the temp to no more than 150-180 deg. I have a thick cardboard box that i slide the cake tin into and it fits with just enough room to ease the cake tin back out again and don't have anymore problems.but yes, check your temp guage is correct.

52many, Aug 14, 6:15am
Yes, I used to have this problem as well.so now recognise that my oven is extra hot, so I just turn it down a bit. Like if the reciepe states 180 I turn mine down to 170. Made a huge difference! Sometimes if its bisuits at 180 I turn it down even a bit lower.I have gotten to "know" my oven now.

tinkagirl, Aug 14, 6:50am
Get your self from Briscoes some of those Silicon cake tins.They dont get hot so the cake will cook evenly through with no burnt or hard sides.I have used them for years now and won't use anything else.

deus701, Aug 14, 7:05am
Black tins absorb more heat than silver ones. You can try lining the outside with baking paper n cellotape (form a paper border around the tin).

kimkat1, Aug 14, 7:45am
You can also cut a cereal box and put strips of cardboard between the baking paper and the tin. hope that makes sense. i do it all the time, especially if my tin is not high enough and I want a tall cake.

survivorr, Aug 14, 7:50am
Thx all . I'll try again next weekend and try reducing the temperature first to see if that happens and then try other suggestions if it doesn't.

burney7, Aug 14, 9:31am
Black baking tins absorb more heat than silver tins ( try placing you baking in a lower part of the oven ( some ovens bake hotter on the top ( yopu can also wrap tin foil around the out side of your baking tin ( good luck in your baking ( i am a baker by trade

kinna54, Aug 14, 10:42am
Try lining your tins in a double paper layer, i.e 1 layer baking paper, inside a thick layer (or 2) of brown paper. If making a fruit cake add another layer of folded newspaper as well. Definitely turn the oven down, and use a bake only function not a fan bake.

shop-a-holic, Aug 14, 12:08pm
I would suggest just buying a thermometre, and checking your oven temperatures.