I made a Bacon and Egg pie the other night

Page 1 / 2
survivorr, Apr 24, 7:37pm
And that would have a similar effect, I guess, to the mesh pie plate that I have.Came from my mother.Invaluable.No soggy pastry.Well worth purchasing - if you can find one.

survivorr, Apr 24, 7:41pm
Oh.and I made a bacon and egg pie on the weekend and didn't bother to put any pepper/salt in.Talk about a bland taste when cooked!But then I'm a salt fiend so others probably may not notice anythiing but I sure did.Seemed fairly tasteless.

cdflbebo, Aug 9, 3:28am
But the pastry on the bottom of the pie was still un cooked.Maybe the dish i had it in was too deep!Any ideas!

bluecalico, Aug 9, 3:35am
Maybe your oven wasn't hot enough or pastry too thick. I sometimes put a little sprinkling of grated cheese to soak up any moisture, and then I put finely chopped onion, and always use a metal slice tin. You could turn it out and put the uncooked side up and try and cook it through in a hot oven.

seniorbones, Aug 9, 4:04am
or you could place a sheet of baking paper on the pastry before you add your filling, add rice or baking beans and pre cook a little then take out and continue with filling etc and cook again

shop-a-holic, Aug 9, 4:36am
Place it on a lower the rack in the oven and use Bake Mode.

elliehen, Aug 9, 4:40am
Place the dish on an already heated oven tray to give it a kick start!

robyn35, Aug 9, 5:25am
what sort of pie dish did you use!

beastie3, Aug 9, 6:03am
I agree with shop-a-holic the pie must be cooked on the bottom shelf in a hot oven. I make a huge B&E pie everyday in the cafe where I work and if anyone dares move it to the middle shelf its war!

eastie3, Aug 9, 6:50am
That's exactly what I do.The oven tray goes in on the bottom rung when I turn the oven on.I have tried a layer of cheese but disliked it,it just tasted wrong.

kinna54, Aug 9, 7:00am
As elliehen said, re the dish placement , (i always use a metal dish )but another tip is to add a *sprinkle only* of finely grated cheese over the pastry before adding the filling. It helps make the bottom of the pie crustier,and doesn't affect the flavour if you use the right quantity and a mild flavoured cheese.

zealandme, Aug 9, 7:03am
Hello all
I made a bacon and egg pie as well, but to get great results I used Texas muffin trays, this gave me well cooked individual pies.

bluecalico, Aug 10, 3:35am
Maybe your oven wasn't hot enough or pastry too thick. I sometimes put a little sprinkling of grated cheese to soak up any moisture, and then I put finely chopped onion, and always use a metal slice tin. You could turn it out and put the uncooked side up and try and cook it through in a hot oven.

eastie3, Aug 10, 6:50am
That's exactly what I do.The oven tray goes in on the bottom rack when I turn the oven on.I have tried a layer of cheese but disliked it,it just tasted wrong.

kinna54, Aug 10, 7:00am
As elliehen said, re the dish placement , (i always use a metal dish )but another tip is to add a *sprinkle only* of finely grated cheese over the pastry before adding the filling. It helps make the bottom of the pie crustier,and doesn't affect the flavour if you use the right quantity and a mild flavoured cheese.

fee1965, Aug 10, 9:59am
Oven should be red hot, always use a good tin, chill the pastry when in the tin before you add the filling and once the filling is in get it in the oven straight away.oh and the sprinkling of cheese works, or paint with beaten egg white to seal also

leebee35, Aug 11, 7:37am
I had this problem once and it was due to the Oven being lined with tinfoil.It was a new Oven so the elements were underneath the bottom of the oven. so the tin foil acted as insulator and all the heat was going down.I was very lucky I didnt have a fire. over many months of rubbish cooking the timber burnt in the bottom draw.
I was very lucky.

aktow, Aug 11, 2:52pm
then you oven is crap, i used to have bacon and egg pies made in big trays and pie mouldson 4 levels in my oven. you could not tell where in the oven i cooked them,

jhan, Aug 13, 1:06am
I cook mine in the middle of the oven on 200 deg for an hour,its in a square metal cake tin, uses 3 sheets of pastry, seven eggs and 2 potatoes and about 200 gms of bacon. I turn the bottom layer of pastry (which extends up the sides of the tin)over the top for a rolled edge.

beastie3, Oct 4, 9:15am
Yes the oven is crap.its a 100 year old building and old equipment as well.but we have the best food around.You most probably have a gastronom oven .lucky you.

fifie, Oct 4, 9:34am
Best tip i know for a crisp bottom on a bacon and egg pie is Annabel Langbeins one.Cook it in a metal tin, not a crockery dish.
Heat oven to 200c no higher than middle with tray in. Take tin and cut B/paper to fit make sure it comes up the sides a little to lift out. Place pastry to fit B/paper little coming up the sides to hold filling, and sit paper and pastry in the tin easing edges trim pastry back if you have to. Roll a little if necessary on floured board to get the right fit.Place in oven 12-15 mins at 200 then turn oven down to 180c 35-40 mins till golden and cooked. Take out of tin cut and serve. Do mine this way now and bottomcomes out nice and crispy not soggy.

petal1955, Oct 4, 9:36am
Use Filo pastry and you wont have a problem.

stoats, Oct 5, 6:10am
I make my own pastry which has baking powder & wine vinegar, everyone tells me its the best pastry they have ever tasted. because I have a concealed element in my oven I cook the pie in a glass pie dish on the bottom of oven for approx 20 mins then clasic bake for 10 mins.

fifie, Oct 5, 9:34am
Best tip i know for a crisp bottom on a bacon and egg pie is Annabel Langbeins one.Cook it in a metal tin, not a crockery dish.
Heat oven to 200c no higher than middle with tray in. Take tin and cut B/paper to fit make sure it comes up the sides a little to lift out. Place pastry to fit B/paper little coming up the sides to hold filling, and sit paper and pastry in the tin easing edges trim pastry back if you have to. Roll a little if necessary on floured board to get the right fit.Place in oven on top of tray for 12-15 mins, at 200 then turn oven down to 180c 35-40 mins till golden and cooked. Take out of tin cut and serve. Do mine this way now and bottomcomes out nice and crispy not soggy.

rainrain1, Oct 5, 10:23pm
I saw Nigella make little bacon and egg pies, by greasing large pattie tins, lining carefully with bacon which came up over the top a little, then filling with lightly beaten egg.The bacon goes crispy apparently and serves as a shell for the filling.I must try them