Okd Fashioned Afternoon Or Morning Tea

Page 2 / 2
cap, Mar 21, 9:06pm
Korbo - I could ask my mum for you about the cream horns but I am pretty sure they just grease and flour the horn tins really well. I also have a set but have never made them myself. I always remember getting to the jam at the bottom mmmm... .

lulu239, Mar 21, 10:42pm
CHEESE CAKES:

200g flaky pastry
½ cup sugar
3Tbsp raspberry jam
125g butter softened
1 cup flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs beaten

Roll out pastry to 200mm. Cut out 7cm rounds and line patty tins. Place ½ tsp jam into each pastry case. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the flour and BP alternately with the eggs. Stir to mix. Drop large spoonfuls into the pastry cases. Bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes. Makes 20. I seem to remember that crosses of pastry were put on top.

cap, Mar 21, 10:51pm
Thanks Lulu - yes that is how I remember them too. Our local bakery makes them now and then. I wonder how they got their name?

valtrin, Mar 21, 11:29pm
Weren't those called Cheese Straws?

vintagekitty, Mar 21, 11:32pm
dont forget asparagus rolls, tiny savoury egg sandwiches and club sandwiches

vintagekitty, Mar 21, 11:38pm
Pink Lamingtons

1 packet raspberry jelly
1¼ cups boiling water
300gsponge cake
2 cupscoconut
½ cup cream, - whipped
¹/³ cup raspberry jam

1. In a bowl, combine jelly crystals with boiling water and stir until crystals dissolve. Place jelly mixture in the fridge to cool

2. slicesponge into 12 equal rectangles or squares, Spread coconut on a tray.

3. Dip all sides of each sponge square in cold jelly mixture, then roll in coconut to coat to make lamingtons. Cut a slicein the top of each lamington.

4. Place a tablespoonful of whipped cream in the slice of each lamington, then decorate each one with a teaspoonful of raspberry jam.

Place on a pretty china plate, you can add some wee flowers in and around the pile, looks lovely!

lulu239, Mar 22, 12:04am
No valtrin. They were cheese cakes and not a bit of cheese in them! For the cream horns, I used strips of puff pastry and wound them around the well greased horn tins. I still have them and one day will make them again.

lulu239, Mar 22, 12:10am
Just recently Hospice Waikato had an afternoon tea and fashion parade. They collected 200 bone china trios and a number of tiered cake stands. The napkins were damask and the tea was served in lovely old teapots. There were cucumber sandwiches (of course), tiny lamingtons and tiny scones with jam and cream. My daughter (of the coffee mug era) was quite taken with it all and said she would love to have a garden party.

jimminette, Mar 22, 9:13am
I've just been doing some unpacking (move june last year) and found my ginger gem iron (was probably my Mums). Must try those

rubyjane11, Mar 22, 9:30am
oh I hope someone has a cinnamon oyster recipe I lost my family recipe of this ages ago... . .

elliehen, Mar 22, 10:42am
Cinnamon Cream Oysters or Fingers
2 eggs
75g sugar
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
50 g flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda

Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Add golden syrup, beat again, then fold in sifted dry ingredients. Put in small spoonfuls in greased sponge oyster, or sponge finger tins. Bake 12 minutes at 200 degrees C. When cold, split and fill with whipped cream.

From 1976 edition Edmonds Cookbook

millenium1, Mar 23, 12:16am
Sounds like you ladies are just the right people to ask. Does anyone have a never fail recipe for Kisses? Please? Thank you.

indy95, Mar 23, 4:17am
Millenium1, this comes from an 80's Edmonds Book:

Kisses

125g butter
125g sugar
2 eggs
125g plain flour
125g cornflour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar well, add eggs one at a time and beat again. Add sifted dry ingredients. Put small spoonfuls on greased oven tray and bake at 200C for 8 to 10 minutes. When cold sandwich together with raspberry jam and sprinkle over sifted icing sugar.

clair4, Mar 23, 5:36am
Fly Cemeteries. Anyone have a reliable recipe. Love these.

cottagerose, Nov 27, 10:44am
I used to love these as a teenager. Havent seen them for years