Roast pork help..

redeyedkiwi, Jul 30, 2:45am
i am about to cook a 2.5 kilo shoulder roast pork.

1) do i leave the hock bit tucked under or do i kind of extend it out, or separate it completely?

2) after reading up on cooking times i am now wondering if i should cover the meat/put in oven bag? my concern with this is that i want to do crackling. can i cook uncovered? or should i wrap in foil, cook, then remove rind when meat is done, then grill it? will this work or will it have gone soggy?

thanks.

otterhound, Jul 30, 4:58am
I would be inclined to do the initial 20 minutes in a really hot oven to get the crackling going, as usual, then remove the crackling before covering the pork, and finishing the crackling under the grill when roast is almost done.

redeyedkiwi, Jul 30, 5:26am
my crackle doesnt really seem to be forming very well. the meat is half way through and only about 15% looks good. will it come right?

mazzy1, Jul 30, 5:39am
I only ever do my roast pork in an oven bag. Who needs to clean their oven if they don't have to! I usually cover the skin with olive oil and rock salt, then sear in a very hot frypan. I then put it in the oven bag with fresh rosemary and a few sprigs of thyme. When it's cooked, I take off the skin, wrap the meat in foil, then shove the skin under the really hot grill to blister the crackle and make it crisp. Hmmm - any complaints from the committee? Nup.

mazzy1, Jul 30, 5:40am
Just cut the skin off at the end of cooking and finish it off under the grill. It will be magnificent! Om nom nom nom

juliewn, Jul 30, 5:59am
What time did you say dinner is RedeyedKiwi? I'll bring dessert!!

winnie231, Jul 30, 6:14am
Next time score your crackling ... it will make a huge difference to your end result. For this time - as others have said - simply cut it off & pop it under the grill for a few minutes once the pork is cooked.
If you have any apples in the house - chop them finely & cook in a pan or the microwave while you're waiting for the pork to finish ... and use those pan juices to make a gravy. Nice accompaniments bring a meal from ok to yum!

redeyedkiwi, Jul 31, 2:45am
i am about to cook a 2.5 kilo shoulder roast pork.

1) do i leave the hock bit tucked under or do i kind of extend it out, or separate it completely!

2) after reading up on cooking times i am now wondering if i should cover the meat/put in oven bag! my concern with this is that i want to do crackling. can i cook uncovered! or should i wrap in foil, cook, then remove rind when meat is done, then grill it! will this work or will it have gone soggy!

thanks.

redeyedkiwi, Jul 31, 5:26am
my crackle doesnt really seem to be forming very well. the meat is half way through and only about 15% looks good. will it come right!

mazzy1, Jul 31, 5:39am
I only ever do my roast pork in an oven bag. Who needs to clean their oven if they don't have to! I usually cover the skin with olive oil and rock salt, then sear in a very hot frypan. I then put it in the oven bag with fresh rosemary and a few sprigs of thyme. When it's cooked, I take off the skin, wrap the meat in foil, then shove the skin under the really hot grill to blister the crackle and make it crisp. Hmmm - any complaints from the committee! Nup.

juliewn, Jul 31, 5:59am
What time did you say dinner is RedeyedKiwi! I'll bring dessert!

winnie231, Jul 31, 6:14am
Next time score your crackling . it will make a huge difference to your end result. For this time - as others have said - simply cut it off & pop it under the grill for a few minutes once the pork is cooked.
If you have any apples in the house - chop them finely & cook in a pan or the microwave while you're waiting for the pork to finish . and use those pan juices to make a gravy. Nice accompaniments bring a meal from ok to yum!