Ways to cook cauliflower

Page 1 / 2
mattdylan, Aug 1, 12:29am
I dont like it plain boiled, what else can be done with it?

elliehen, Aug 1, 12:34am
Roasted...
Quote: Roasted cauliflower takes on a whole new dimension - it caramelises during the roasting process and is truly delicious. It's great to serve as finger food with dips (suggestions below), or even as dinner for one. Allow just under 3 carbs per 100grams of raw cauliflower.
Ingredients

Raw cauliflower cut into florets
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Optional: Whole clove of garlic, paprika or cumin

Method

Preheat your oven to 180C.
Place the florets in a single layer on a baking tray or shallow dish.
Coat with olive oil and seasonings. If adding garlic and other spices do so now. Toss well to coat.
Roast for 45-60 minutes, turning several times until starting to brown on the extremities and go tender (but not mushy!).
Serve as is or with dipping sauces.

Dipping sauces

Lemon mayonnaise: Mix into 1/2 cup home-made or bought mayo 1/2 - 1t finely grated lemon zest and 2t of lemon juice. Add a little Dijon mustard to taste if desired.
Coconut and coriander relish: Mix together well 1/8 cup coconut cream, 3T coconut threads, 1/4 finely chopped tomato, 1/2T finely chopped red onion, small handful chopped coriander leaves, salt and pepper. Add more coconut cream if too dry. Unquote.

Provided by a Low Carb Cook

mattdylan, Aug 1, 12:37am
Oh really i didnt think of that! thanks

lx4000, Aug 1, 12:37am
serve with broc with cheese sauce!

stir fry, soup, stews, mince

rattiefan, Aug 1, 12:40am
steamed is yummy

pericles, Aug 1, 12:42am
type in cauliflower, over there <<<<< and search

davidt4, Aug 1, 1:10am
Cauli and kumara mash is delicious.Use one large peeled kumara for every halfcauliflower, boil together in salted water until completely tender, drain very well.Puree in a food processor or with a robust stick blender, adding a big lump of butter and lots of salt and pepper.I sometimes add a tablespoonful of Dijon mustard.

pickles7, Aug 1, 1:11am
I never boil it.
Microwave it, no water.

pickles7, Aug 1, 1:13am
sorry maybe that, virus.

catsmeat1, Aug 1, 1:21am
Cauli soup.Cook cauli and mash and add to a thin white sauce that has had added to it half tsp curry, 1 tsp chicken stock and half a tsp garlic and herb salt.Divine.

suzanna, Aug 1, 1:22am
This was on a low carb siteI make it all the alot with great success.

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Delicious and easy. Stuffed crust cheese is delicious. Recipe here.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

Love this recipe? Want to share it? Please give credit to the National Low Carb Examiner and a link back. Your efforts keep recipes coming. Thanks so much!

Continue reading on Examiner.com Cauliflower Pizza Crust: Worth its Wow in Gold - National Low Carb | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold?page=1#ixzz1TjhP65g1

mattdylan, Aug 1, 1:24am
Thanks - the pizza loooks interesting what is riced cauliflower

garfeild101, Aug 1, 1:35am
Cauliflower mash-just like potatoes-good for low carbers

kirinesha, Aug 1, 1:40am
Cauliflower Rice - Coconut & Coriander version

Ingredients:

1/4 head of small-medium cauliflower
3T plain desiccated coconut
Salt & pepper
Small handful of fresh coriander leaves, pulled apart
2T butter
Dash of olive oil
1t lemon juice

Method

Put the cauli in the food whizz and pulse until it makes fine particles the size of rice
Add the coconut to a dry pan on low heat and stir constantly until lightly golden and toasted (watch it as it's easy to overdo!). Remove.
Add the butter and oil (to reduce the burning point of the butter)
When sizzling add the cauli rice and reduce the heat, stirring well
Cook over a low-medium heat until softening (I allow 10-15 mins max. with the odd stir)
Season and taste
Just before removing from pan to serve stir through the coriander leaves, coconut and lemon juice and mix in well

elliehen, Aug 1, 3:07am
PS The Roasted Cauli at #2 belongs to kirinesha too, under another name at another site :)

rainrain1, Aug 1, 5:30am
Cauliflower Cheese
Warm or cold Cauliflower Salad

elliehen, Aug 1, 5:35am
...and fisher says add blue cheese when you are puree-ing the soup, if you like blue cheese :)

cabbagefan, Aug 1, 6:40am
cauli fritters.. use small cooked peices same as you would corn cobs or cauli pakoras..use chickpea flour instead of normal for your batter

bedazzledjewels, Aug 1, 7:07am
Cauli cashew salad - at the other website Elliehen mentioned.

madron1, Aug 1, 7:13am
Have just had the Cauliflower and Pasta dish from the latest DISH mag, fantastic, easy and quick

elliehen, Aug 1, 7:18am
Don't finger me!...I said ANOTHER, not THE other ;)

"Adapted from an recipe by Annabel Langbein. This is lovely fresh tasting 'different' salad that goes well with the never-ending Christmas ham! The cashews can be a bit high in carbs, so keep that in mind when you're deciding how many to use.
Ingredients
As much cauliflower as you need
1/2 cup salted roasted cashews - maybe more if you like a saltier taste
2T chopped fresh coriander
1t grated fresh ginger - more if you like ginger
2T whatever salad oil you use
Salt and black pepper
Method
Put the cauliflower minus the stalks into the processor along with the cashews and blitz until the mixture is like small crumbs (or to whatever texture you prefer)
Mix in the coriander, oil, ginger and seasonings
Toss and serve"

kirinesha, Aug 1, 8:25am
Thanks for the credits Elliehen, appreciated.

mighty_south, Aug 1, 8:28am
wash it, chop it up and eat it! i eat most vegetables raw, its sweet and tasty, why boil out the goodness or cover it in a fattening sauce. enjoy it as it is:)

bedazzledjewels, Aug 1, 8:29am
Just giving you a thumbs up Ellie. Thanks.

frances1266, Aug 1, 9:52am
I roast cauli a similar way to Elliehen's recipe but add some lemon zest and lemon juice to the roasting dish, it is delish.I love cauliflower.