Ways to cook cauliflower

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Aug 1, 10:05am
I added cauli to my roast veg dish tonight...

Basically, it was cubed potato, kumara, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot rounds, onion chunks, cauliflower segments (larger florets) tossed in a little oil, roasted on baking paper in an oven dish for 40 mins, sprinkled with chopped raw spinach and cooked for another 10 mins and then served with cubed feta tossed through it.

If your budget is up to it, fried haloumi goes well with this.It is one dish always enjoyed equally by vegetarians and non-vegetarians.Can also be served warmish as a salad...good for pot-luck occasions.

Edited to add:Add garlic cloves too if you wish...

nfh1, Aug 1, 10:47am
elliehen - do you part cook the veges or just put in oven?I love haloumi.

elliehen, Aug 1, 11:12am
All veges go in raw, but they're in cubes - bite-sized pieces.

nfh1, Aug 1, 11:16am
Thanks elliehen

malcovy, Oct 14, 5:10am
I made this tonight and it is delicious, I added little cream as well.I will make this many times and hopefully it will freeze well as caulis are $1.59 at New World.I will freeze a little of tonight's lot to see what it is like and try it on Sunday so if it's a success then I will buy a few.Orange kumara is on special too this week.

malcovy, Oct 14, 5:13am
Here is a recipe that I will be making soon as well minus the sausage.I got this off someone's blog, I don't remember who though
Cauliflower stuffing
1 slice of bacon, diced 1 small onion, diced 1 garlic, minced 1/2 head of cauliflower, slice florets into 1/4 thickness (approx 5 large  florets) 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves 1 teaspoon freshly chopped sage leaves 1 heaping tablespoon coconut flour (can also use almond flour) 1/8 cup dried cranberries (optional but it’s really good with it!) 1/4 to 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth Freshly ground black pepper   In a large skillet, fry the bacon on medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add a little  oil or left over bacon grease ,so the bacon won't stick to the pan.  Add onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes with the bacon. Add rosemary, sage and cauliflower, saute for 2 minutes until the herbs are fragrant. Add coconut flour and 1/4 cup of broth, bring to boil and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally, until the cauliflower is tender but still a bit firm, about 5 more minutes or so. Remove from heat and check for seasoning, add salt and ground black pepper as needed. Mix in dried cranberries and serve hot.   I have made this type of recipe many times.  Sometimes I substitute 2 ounces ground pork or sausage  in place of the bacon. Finely chopped mushrooms and celery are also great additions.

jynx66, Oct 14, 9:21am
Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Soup (or parsnip, brocolli, etc)
2 cups chicken stock
250g cauliflower (about 1/2 head)
150g courgettes (1 large or 2 small)
50g blue cheese (1/2 wedge)
salt and pepper to taste

Pour the chicken stock into a 2 litre saucepan with a lid and bring to the boil.
While the stock is heating, prepare the vegetables. Wash well and cut the cauliflower into approximately 5cm-sized florets, and cut large florets in half. Top and tail the courgettes and cut into 2-3cm lengths.
Add to the stock and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes with the lid on, until the vegetables are just tender (a knife or fork will enter easily).
Remove the pan from the heat and blend the contents of the pan to a smooth consistency using a hand-held blender, or a large blender or a food processor. As a last resort try a potato masher, but be prepared for a lumpy soup.
Crumble the cheese, add to the pan and blend again. Serve with fresh or toasted bread, and if you love blue vein cheese crumble some extra on top as you serve the soup.

mwood, Oct 14, 9:38am
I favour steaming mine for max flavour - the microwave can make it too dry "hard" - if I'm also doing say pumpkin, for instance, when it comes to the boil I'll put the steamer pan on top - timing then seems about right.

mattdylan, Aug 1, 12:29am
I dont like it plain boiled, what else can be done with it!

elliehen, Aug 1, 12:34am
Roasted.
Quote: Roasted cauliflower takes on a whole new dimension - it caramelises during the roasting process and is truly delicious. It's great to serve as finger food with dips (suggestions below), or even as dinner for one. Allow just under 3 carbs per 100grams of raw cauliflower.
Ingredients

Raw cauliflower cut into florets
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Optional: Whole clove of garlic, paprika or cumin

Method

Preheat your oven to 180C.
Place the florets in a single layer on a baking tray or shallow dish.
Coat with olive oil and seasonings. If adding garlic and other spices do so now. Toss well to coat.
Roast for 45-60 minutes, turning several times until starting to brown on the extremities and go tender (but not mushy!).
Serve as is or with dipping sauces.

Dipping sauces

Lemon mayonnaise: Mix into 1/2 cup home-made or bought mayo 1/2 - 1t finely grated lemon zest and 2t of lemon juice. Add a little Dijon mustard to taste if desired.
Coconut and coriander relish: Mix together well 1/8 cup coconut cream, 3T coconut threads, 1/4 finely chopped tomato, 1/2T finely chopped red onion, small handful chopped coriander leaves, salt and pepper. Add more coconut cream if too dry. Unquote.

Provided by a Low Carb Cook

suzanna, Aug 1, 1:22am
This was on a low carb siteI make it all the alot with great success.

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Delicious and easy. Stuffed crust cheese is delicious. Recipe here.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

Love this recipe! Want to share it! Please give credit to the National Low Carb Examiner and a link back. Your efforts keep recipes coming. Thanks so much!

Continue reading on Examiner.com Cauliflower Pizza Crust: Worth its Wow in Gold - National Low Carb | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold!page=1#ixzz1TjhP65g1

kirinesha, Aug 1, 1:40am
Cauliflower Rice - Coconut & Coriander version

Ingredients:

1/4 head of small-medium cauliflower
3T plain desiccated coconut
Salt & pepper
Small handful of fresh coriander leaves, pulled apart
2T butter
Dash of olive oil
1t lemon juice

Method

Put the cauli in the food whizz and pulse until it makes fine particles the size of rice
Add the coconut to a dry pan on low heat and stir constantly until lightly golden and toasted (watch it as it's easy to overdo!). Remove.
Add the butter and oil (to reduce the burning point of the butter)
When sizzling add the cauli rice and reduce the heat, stirring well
Cook over a low-medium heat until softening (I allow 10-15 mins max. with the odd stir)
Season and taste
Just before removing from pan to serve stir through the coriander leaves, coconut and lemon juice and mix in well

elliehen, Aug 1, 5:35am
.and fisher says add blue cheese when you are puree-ing the soup, if you like blue cheese :)

cabbagefan, Aug 1, 6:40am
cauli fritters. use small cooked peices same as you would corn cobs or cauli pakoras.use chickpea flour instead of normal for your batter

elliehen, Aug 1, 7:18am
Don't finger me!.I said ANOTHER, not THE other ;)

"Adapted from an recipe by Annabel Langbein. This is lovely fresh tasting 'different' salad that goes well with the never-ending Christmas ham! The cashews can be a bit high in carbs, so keep that in mind when you're deciding how many to use.
Ingredients
As much cauliflower as you need
1/2 cup salted roasted cashews - maybe more if you like a saltier taste
2T chopped fresh coriander
1t grated fresh ginger - more if you like ginger
2T whatever salad oil you use
Salt and black pepper
Method
Put the cauliflower minus the stalks into the processor along with the cashews and blitz until the mixture is like small crumbs (or to whatever texture you prefer)
Mix in the coriander, oil, ginger and seasonings
Toss and serve"

frances1266, Aug 1, 9:52am
I roast cauli a similar way to Elliehen's recipe but add some lemon zest and lemon juice to the roasting dish, it is delish.I love cauliflower.

elliehen, Aug 1, 10:05am
I added cauli to my roast veg dish tonight.

Basically, it was cubed potato, kumara, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot rounds, onion chunks, cauliflower segments (larger florets) tossed in a little oil, roasted on baking paper in an oven dish for 40 mins, sprinkled with chopped raw spinach and cooked for another 10 mins and then served with cubed feta tossed through it.

If your budget is up to it, fried haloumi goes well with this.It is one dish always enjoyed equally by vegetarians and non-vegetarians.Can also be served warmish as a salad.good for pot-luck occasions.

Edited to add:Add garlic cloves too if you wish.

nfh1, Aug 1, 10:47am
elliehen - do you part cook the veges or just put in oven!I love haloumi.

elliehen, Aug 1, 11:12am
All veges go in raw, but they're in cubes - bite-sized pieces.

bev00, Oct 13, 9:35am
Pakoras are yummy and easy peasy using chick pea flour and spices.

lythande1, Oct 13, 7:38pm
Goes well in stir fry too, cut into small florets.
Plain, no not too exciting.cheese sauce helps, make a bake with it.

carlosjackal, Oct 13, 8:41pm
SPICEY ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

In a roasting dish toss a head of cauliflower florets with:

* 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
* 1 teaspoon of crushed chillis
* 1 teaspoon of Maldon Sea Flakes
* Drizzle of olive oil

Roast in hot oven for 20 minutes

village.green, Oct 13, 9:29pm
Cauli Popcorn (good for a nibble with a drink)
Cut into very small florets, (the bigger the piece the longer it will take to cook) coat withoil (mix up with your hands) and sprinkle with curry powder or other herbs/spices and bake in the oven 170-180oC for 10-20 mins until nicely browned.
We love this as a family and it disappears very quickly.