Banquet (large) electric frypans - anyone got one?

Page 1 / 2
pink-dragon, Jul 14, 4:43am
I have been thinking of buying one of these as I am frequently cooking for 6 hungry boys..... I checked out briscoes and there are 3 brands available. Zip, Breville and Sunbeam.They are all about the same size, non stick and have glass lids.With thier regular specials they are priced between $60 ( zip with 60% off) $89 Brevilleand I think around $100 for sunbeam.Has anyone got/ used one of these and can either recommend or point out problems with them??

moreorless, Jul 14, 8:09am
I have the zip and have bought two, both times the non stick has worn off within 6 months, granted used 4 times a week and careful not to scour, but still coating has worn off. I don't think Zip is the one to go for.

pink-dragon, Jul 14, 9:28am
Thanks for the feed back.Thought the price was too good!!

kuaka, Jul 14, 10:28am
I've got a Kambrook - not sure whether it was called "banquet" or not, but it is very big, quite deep and rectangular rather than square, has a glass lid, and big handles.It's got a non-stick surface, and although I haven't used it much in the last four years, I used it heaps for a couple of years prior to that.The non-stick surface has discoloured but it isn't peeling off yet, and was still non-stick last time I used it.

kinna54, Jul 14, 11:28am
Son used to work at Briscoes... said major products returned with faults were Zip.

kuaka, Jul 14, 8:48pm
I bought my Kambrook at Harvey Norman.

kylina426, Jul 15, 5:58am
Bought a Zip from Briscoes. Stopped working so returned it for a new one.......4th time we got our money back!

willow99, Jul 15, 6:02am
We had a Kambrook one, used it to death and it was still going well at the end, except hubby had broken the legs off on one side lol.

It was our 2nd. I forget what brand our 1st one was, but the kambrook heated a bit heavy around the element.

I really must buy a new one. Fantastic for pikelets!

greg.n.michelle, Jul 15, 6:13am
I have the zip stainless steel one and its been great the non stick is a waste of time as if you cook to high the coating burns of and on to your food. I find the tainless is easy to clean and can use the metal pot scrubbers as well.

pink-dragon, Jul 15, 7:26am
I am nota great fan on non stick after a returning quite a few with the coating coming off so have used stainless for the last 10 years but like the size of the Banquet electric frypans and for what I would be cooking - most would not be cooked on high...thought the coatings should have got better after 10 years......

lisanorthshore, Jul 15, 9:00am
I have a sunbeam stainless steel large rectangular frying pan which was from briscoes, it was around $150 on special and its still in great condition 4 years later - would never buy anon stick frying pan, they are hopeless!! Just get a stainless steel no matter what the brand they should last you for years!!!

kuaka, Jul 15, 9:16am
I've also got a stainless one - used it tonight to do a roast chook and roast veg - I have no idea how old it is as I bought it from the op shop for the enormous sum of $1 about six years ago.It's brilliant.It's a Sunbeam.

bunny51, Jul 15, 9:19am
I havea stainless steel sunbeam one and it is great.GOt it from Briscoes when it was on special

redback2, Jul 15, 9:27am
i use a kambrook and also from brisco 3yr old and still working great and gets a work out to. the non stick still sweet although discoloured

susieq9, Jul 16, 2:15am
I bought the Breville Banquet one, used it a couple of times and gave it away. Problem being was when I cooked fritters the thermostat would go down too low, soaking up the oil before coming back to temperature. Only way around it was to turn the temperature up more each time the thermostat turned off. Have now got an old Sunbeam stainless steel and wont part with it.

paix1, Jul 16, 2:54am
Very interesting reading! I had the Zip Banquet & did look after it so it lasted about 2 yrs, then thermostat went. Wouldn't buy again plus I have issues have to say now, with anything 'non-stick'. So, doesn't food stick with stainless steel pans, or how do you prevent it happening??

kuaka, Jul 16, 11:23am
Stainless steel seems to be virtually non-stick as long as there is a smear of oil in it.It can also be "conditioned" in the same way as you would condition a cast iron pot or frying pan.

pink-dragon, Jul 16, 9:52pm
I ocassionally have issues with food sticking to my stainless frypans especially when there is no liquid ie if I am just frying.I have found most of the time if the oil is warm when you put the food in it usually does not stick.I did look briefly at the stainless large electric frypan... did not take notice of the brand but it was considerably more expensive and at the time it was the price of the non stick ones that attracted me.From reading this it appears that Zip is a brand to steer away from.....Thanks for all the feedback

norse_westie, Jul 16, 10:09pm
Mine is a Breville and I love it. I flog it - make pancakes, french toast, pikelets, eggs, stir fry, schnitzel etc, as well as one roast. No problems whatsover althougth I recently dropped the lid and the handle is now loose.

bunny51, Jul 16, 11:49pm
THis is hwat I do. DOn't often have trouble with anything sticking but when it does stick (daughter was cooking pikelets with the pippins during the week and they burnt them and htey stuck) I just soak it for a while then use one of those steel wool things and it comes off really easily. (Probably easier to deal with than a non stick pan that has lost it's stick then got stuck suff on th try and get off,)

zuggle, Jul 17, 8:22pm
I have a Sunbeam and although I've found it fantastic for doing a family roast, the non-stick element has not been abused and has still worn away. After all the postings on here, I'm going for stainless steel rather than non-stick next time(I was attracted by the price but I won't be next round).

spotswood, Jul 18, 2:26am
I bought the breville banquet frypan Much better than the 2 zip ones that the non stick came off from.The Appliance Shed had the better price too than Briscoes !

molly37, Jul 18, 5:24am
I love my electric frying pan and wouldnt be without one, However the teflon does not last like it used to. I would probably use my 3 nights a week and have to buy a new one each year. I always take heaps of care with it too, no scouring, gentle wash etc. If anyone know a great brand that lasts I'd be interested. I dont buy the cheap ones either.

creek, Jul 18, 8:28am
mine is a warehouse one and use it every 2nd day and it beats cleaning the oven all the time if none stick comes you can put baking paper on bottom and it still cooks good

luckylady8, Jul 21, 8:09am
I have the big banquet stainless steel frypan and haven't regretted paying the big price for it.I did wait for Briscoes to have it on sale for $150 I think it was about 3 month's ago.My last sunbean went in the wheelie bin, also s/s recently after 38 years constant service!Felt I should have said a few words as it was like an old friend being chucked.The only thing I found it has a lingering smell, can't describe it but guess it will wear off.Easy to clean although they advise to use non stick utensils and no harsh cleaner's.Don't muck around with nonstick.Like all products it does wear off.Pay big to last!