$10 meal challenge

Page 1 / 2
melinda1, Jul 1, 7:19am
Have searched and tried to find a suitable thread but not luck so here goes. Daughter has to make a meal for College credits for $10 that must feed at least two. I have suggested pasta and some sort of sauce using canned tomatoes with additions (not sure what)? Then chocolate self saucing puding which should be east under $10-daughter not a tomato fan- any ideas ladies?

iman007, Jul 1, 7:24am
i could feed 6 for $10, As a mum you should know what to do?

good luck

moeshelle, Jul 1, 7:26am
tuna pasta bake is yummy and cheap

melinda1, Jul 1, 7:32am
She's not inspired by my ideas. Said she would have no trouble so thought somebody here might be inspirational for her.

valentino, Jul 1, 7:50am
Firstly - define a meal.

Is it entree with main course then a dessert or is it only the one main course or a single dish offerred as a meal.

Once you answer this then one can look at best options to look at.

Hopes this makes sense.

Cheers and all the best.

melinda1, Jul 1, 8:09am
She was looking main and dessert- do you think she could docourses for $10- is even going to Binn Inn to show she bought flour or whatever for x amount to show she stays in budget.Said if she uses butter she cab also easily cost that by dividing grams!

madshazza, Jul 1, 8:36am
buritos - homemade flour tortillas with chilli beef(mince & chilli beans), grated cheese & lettuce(maybe some galicy mayo)
then fresh fruit or micro 1 egg choc cake

winnie231, Jul 1, 9:09am
Easy peasy - risotto, roast, soup, pizza, stirfry, chilli, nacho's, curry, casserole, and, and, ... followed with baked fruit, home-made custard, jelly, fruit sponge puddings, steamed pud, dumplings, ice cream ...

beaker59, Jul 1, 9:13am
Being a teen I think thier idea of a meal may vary from ours, try wedges with sour cream chopped chives and bacon or with a mince dish you could feed heaps of people for $10.

lx4000, Jul 1, 8:28pm
this is what I make.

1 tin chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, 2-3 large chopped onions, 2-3 large chopped courgettes,2+ tins ofwater, salt to taste.

Boil then simmer for 30 to 45 mins.

You can add things like mushrooms etc to nearer the end.

Serve with mashed spud or pasta with grated cheese. Meat can be in it or a nice chop or steak or what ever but just as good on its own!!

Pudding would be 1 cup cake per person or a nice instant pud, or a fresh fruit platter that came out of the garden!, rice pud or bread and but pud maybe.

Good luck!

lythande1, Jul 1, 8:59pm
Bin INN is not cheap. Not at all.

otterhound, Jul 1, 11:27pm
Agreed!The only advantage in this case is that she could buy exactly the quantitiy she needs and pay for that only.

valentino, Jul 1, 11:27pm
Agree with beaker, do something that the teen prefers and be proud of....
A nice salad (one can but any amount when buying loosely) with wedges (home made using only one or two potatoes) and a nice bit of meat like a chicken thigh or a couple of chicken drumsticks, even a couple of gourmet sausages, a nice chop whether pork-lamb-beef cutlet or a nice piece of fish.

Dessert can be a nice wee baked in a cup dessert serve with a bit of ice cream-cream-custard.

Just remember that $10 is broken down to an individual serving hence just a one of meat item can be purchased at most meat outlets.

Now the question is, does one need to show a receipt if not then it does not stop doing other dishes that costs more but per meal serving is no more than $10, hope one catches the drift on this. It opens up other items like Lasangna, donalds chicken laska etc.
Cheers.

pickles7, Jul 2, 12:00am
Support her in what She wants to do,by the sounds of things She is in charge of this, challenge.

valentino, Jul 2, 12:31am
Yes, an interesting thought, perhaps look at the Aussie Junior Masterchef recipes on that Masterchef website for starters. Maybe google if any other similar websites for junior cooks.

Get this studentto view various Junior recipes and actually some are quite easy and appealing. One can adapt to suit one's budget.

melinda1, Jul 2, 6:21am
Thank you all very much for the awesome ideas.She is mulling them over but has to do on Tuesdsay so needs to make some decisions.The dea of Binn Inn or bulk bin purchases was proving she doesn't exceed the dollar limit.Nice to get teens cooking!!

kob, Jul 2, 6:57am
CHeck out ''Who need a budget ME '' thread there are 15 meals that contain a main and dessert for $4.50 per person

melinda1, Jul 2, 7:19am
Have searched and tried to find a suitable thread but not luck so here goes. Daughter has to make a meal for College credits for $10 that must feed at least two. I have suggested pasta and some sort of sauce using canned tomatoes with additions (not sure what)! Then chocolate self saucing puding which should be east under $10-daughter not a tomato fan- any ideas ladies!

iman007, Jul 2, 7:24am
i could feed 6 for $10, As a mum you should know what to do!

good luck

roys351, Jul 2, 7:28am
my 10 year old did franks in a breadroll, creamed corn chopped bacon or ham tom sauce and put under grill with cheese over top of bun, yummy

melinda1, Jul 2, 7:32am
She's not inspired by my ideas. Said she would have no trouble so thought somebody here might be inspirational for her.

winnie231, Jul 2, 9:09am
Easy peasy - risotto, roast, soup, pizza, stirfry, chilli, nacho's, curry, casserole, and, and, . followed with baked fruit, home-made custard, jelly, fruit sponge puddings, steamed pud, dumplings, ice cream .

lx4000, Jul 2, 8:28pm
this is what I make.

1 tin chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, 2-3 large chopped onions, 2-3 large chopped courgettes,2+ tins ofwater, salt to taste.

Boil then simmer for 30 to 45 mins.

You can add things like mushrooms etc to nearer the end.

Serve with mashed spud or pasta with grated cheese. Meat can be in it or a nice chop or steak or what ever but just as good on its own!

Pudding would be 1 cup cake per person or a nice instant pud, or a fresh fruit platter that came out of the garden!, rice pud or bread and but pud maybe.

Good luck!

valentino, Jul 2, 11:27pm
Agree with beaker, do something that the teen prefers and be proud of.
A nice salad (one can but any amount when buying loosely) with wedges (home made using only one or two potatoes) and a nice bit of meat like a chicken thigh or a couple of chicken drumsticks, even a couple of gourmet sausages, a nice chop whether pork-lamb-beef cutlet or a nice piece of fish.

Dessert can be a nice wee baked in a cup dessert serve with a bit of ice cream-cream-custard.

Just remember that $10 is broken down to for 2 servings hence just a one or two of meat items can be purchased at most meat outlets.

Now the question is, does one need to show a receipt if not then it does not stop doing other dishes that costs more but pertwo meals is no more than $10, hope one catches the drift on this. It opens up other items like Lasangna, donalds chicken laska ( a very popular dish for the younger sect and they love it) etc.
Cheers.

pickles7, Jul 3, 12:00am
Support her in what She wants to do,by the sounds of things She is in charge of this, challenge.