Weeks meal planning - including lunches

jwn1, Jun 12, 4:05am
Any ideas for a weeks worth of meals for family, I'm 'out of action' this week and need to organise FAST

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 5:55am
Teas only or Lunch's as well??? How many for?

fee1965, Jun 12, 5:57am
Corned Beef, Lasagne, Slow Cooked beef casserole, Roast chicken, slow cooked sausages, canneloni, shepherds pie, pasta bake....any help?

fee1965, Jun 12, 5:58am
oh, incl lunches..... left over corned beef in the sammies, same with roast chook, salad and meat wraps, mini quiches, chicken drumsticks, home made mini pita pizzas

greertontga1, Jun 12, 6:00am
that seems like an awesome plan for the week i might try most of those next week as i work nights and most of those i can cook before i leave for the family

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 6:07am
Oppps I just read the heading.......
Pork chops, mash potato, carrots and cabbage
Sausages, onion gravy, mash spud, cauliflower & peas
Roast chicken, roast vege, mash spud and corn
Steak, onions, mushrooms, brocolli, potato bake, & beans
Stir fry (meat, vege, noddles) Garlic bread
Big pot of curry, lots of vege served with rice
Stuffed beef snitzils (sp) diced potato's cooked in cajin seasoning and butter
corn cob, and green beans
Home made fish and chips with coldslaw and buns.

Lunch's
Bacon & egg pie
Omeletes
Home made smoked chicken/apricot sauce/brie pizza's
Home made pump soup with cheese rolls
Steak/onion/salad sandwiches
Burgers
Stuffed sausages

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 6:09am
Well that is what my lot are having this week...
I try and plan a week ahead, great for buying just what you need at the grocery shop...
I generally do a 2 week rough menu, as I only do a big shop once a fortnight..
Hope this is what you were after????

patsy3, Jun 12, 10:00am
Wow, you got flash lunches. Here: sandwiches, fruit, snacks, spag and Baked Beans, toasted sarnies.
How old the kids? here, 7,9,13,16,18. All get their own

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 10:21am
2 lunches for the men of the house...

fee1965, Jun 12, 10:25am
chilli con carne done in the slow cooker is fantastic - always make a double batch of things like this and bolognaise sauce and freeze for another day.

duce3, Jun 12, 10:57pm
I'm going to stay at mackenzie2's house this week!

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 11:02pm
Have put the key under the door mat for you, If I am not here, please make yourself at home... The dog doesn't bite.... OFTEN!!!!

duce3, Jun 12, 11:11pm
Oh darn I just saw you are in the wrong Island for a quick pop in! LOLbut thank you for the invite

jwn1, Jun 13, 12:56am
Thank you so much for all the fab ideas - 2 adults 3 kids aged 12,8,5, I will get onto it today, myhouse is going to smell heavenly!
One question re. slow cooked sausages, I have never done this - do they seem fatty?

fee1965, Jun 13, 2:49am
slow cooked saussies rock!!!!!Brown sausages put in cooker.Saute 1 onion, add to cooker.Rinse out frypan with 1 glass red wine, add to cooker.Add 1 beef oxo, couple of sage leaves, or a sprig of rosemary or thyme, leave to cook on high 4 hours or low all day.OMG these are amazing!

fee1965, Jun 13, 2:50am
Get creative, you can add curry powder instead of herbs (probably leave out the red wine if you do this), or add tomato paste and a tin of flavoured tomatoes instead of beef stock

rusty-bones, Jun 13, 4:52am
Have you got this recipe handy to share??

rusty-bones, Jun 13, 4:54am
Yum that sounds lovely. I'm not a big fan on sausages's but my family are. But I think I may like this.

fee1965, Jun 13, 7:36am
I almost forgot, quesadillas are fantastic for lunches and soooo cheap:
(you can use leftover chilli or bolognaise sauce)

place a tortilla in fry pan, add cheese, chilli and put another tortilla on top.Fry 3mins each side.Cut into 4 and serve.

You can also fill with cheese, ham, mushrooms, pasta sauce or pesto, or even just spaghetti and cheese, my family loves these and the homebrand tortillas go a long way.Will post chilli recipe in a minute.

fee1965, Jun 13, 7:47am
Fiona's Freakin Good Chilli

500g premium beef mince
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 bay leaves
oil - for frying
1 tin savoury tomatoes
1 tin mexican flavoured tomatoes
1/2 packet Old El Paso Chilli Seasoning (this gives a medium chilli)
1 glass red wine to deglaze the pan
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 Can kernel corn (optional)
salt n pepper to taste
pinch of dried oregano (optional)
pinch of ground cumin (optional)
1 can Craig's Chilli Beans (mild)
1 Red Capsicum and 1 stalk of celery (add these if you can't find tinned savoury tomatoes)
1.Fry onions until softened a bit then add garlic and fry another minute - place in slow cooker.
2. Fry mince in oil in very small batches over high heat.You want the meat to caramelise and brown.Tip into slow cooker.
3. Fry tomato paste, this cooks out the raw tomato flavour - watch out for splashing! Add to cooker.
4. Deglaze pan with red wine, give a good stir to release any flavour bits from base of pan and add to slow cooker.
5. Add tinned toms, chilli mix, herbs, bay leaves etc to the slow cooker.
6. This should be a nice thick consistency, put lid on and leave for about 4hours on high or all day on low.1 hour before end add the corn and chilli beans.

This chiili is very tasty - is even better the next day if it hangs around.This recipe freezes well and makes enough for 4 - 5 adults.